public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Successful Audition Technique!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:05 pm 

Submitted by David Jensen, of Pacific Northwest Ballet School Summer Residence Director. <P>Thank You very much, Dave. Dave has agreed that this article may become part of the new STUDIO LIBRARY we are currently building at criticaldance.com.<P>Dave writes:<P>In January, 2000, Pacific Northwest Ballet School offered its students a seminar on Successful Summer Program auditioning.<P>Leading the seminar were Denise Bolstad, School Principal, and Victoria Pulkkinen, Curriculum Supervisor and faculty member. Both have traveled on PNB's Audition Tour for years and are familiar with the administration of many other summer intensives. <P>Here are a few highlights. Hope they are helpful!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>SUCCESSFUL AUDITION TECHNIQUE</B><P>· DO audition for more than one program, but DON'T attend an audition just for "practice" if you have absolutely no interest in that program.<P>· Get a good night's sleep the night before, and don't audition on an empty stomach.<P>· Arrive on time. Allow far more time than you think you will need to get to the audition site.<P>· Bring the audition fee in cash, exact change.<P>· Bring what the audition requires, neither more nor less. This may include photos, a resume, or letters of recommendation. If you are not sure, call the program running the audition, NOT the studio where it is being held.<P>· If possible, take a barre class before the audition. At the very least, be thoroughly stretched.<P>· Make sure your hair is secure. Keep hair ornaments small and be CERTAIN they won't fall out.<P>· No jewelry.<P>· Unless the audition requires a specific color leotard and tights, wear a leotard in which you are comfortable (NOT a brand-new one) and pink tights. Wearing a leotard color other than black (again, unless black is required) will help you stand out from the pack and help the audition staff to remember you. However, avoid a leotard that is too flashy or revealing.<P>· Men should wear a white leotard and black tights unless otherwise specified.<P>· Bring your pointe shoes, even if you've just started en pointe.<P>· Shoes should be broken in enough to be comfortable, but not raggedy.<P>· When you enter the studio, even before the audition begins, ignore everyone but the teacher. FOCUS. This is not the time to chat with friends from last summer.<P>· Do not assume you are going to get into the program because you have connections or because you've attended for the last three summers. For most programs, each summer's audition is a clean slate, and the standards often get higher as you get older.<P>· Remove sweatshirts, leg warmers, etc., before being asked to do so.<P>· Follow the teacher's instructions exactly. Don't try to impress by doing three pirouettes when they ask you to do two. Remember, they are also looking to see how well you take directions.<P>· Be honest. If asked to do something you're unfamiliar with, say, "I'm sorry, I haven't learned that yet (or "I've only been en pointe for two months"), but I'll try it if you'd like."<P>· If you don't like a combination or if you're asked to do something which contradicts your training, don't argue, frown, or cop an attitude.<P>· Smile. Be bright and eager. Make an effort to look and feel your best, and it will show.<P>· Be polite to audition staff and other candidates.<P>· Enjoy the experience of taking a class from a talented and unfamiliar teacher. Make it your goal to learn something new in every audition class.<P>IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED...<P>· Don't let one rejection discourage you. Audition for other programs, and audition again next year for the program you didn't get if you still want to attend.<P>· Some programs will give feedback on your audition. Make the call yourself, DON'T have Mom call.<P>· Remember that your not being chosen is not a reflection on you or your ability, but has everything to do with what the program was looking for at that particular audition.<P>· No summer program is the only one in the world. Your second choice may turn out to be the best experience you've ever had.<P>"MERDE" and best of luck to each of you as you start this year's auditions. Remember that you can't ask any more of yourself than always to do your best.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><I>Many of these points were adapted from "Ace the Audition" by Sheila Noone in Dance Spirit magazine, January 1997, pp. 57-58.</I><P>~ dave@pnb.org <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Successful Audition Technique!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 6:32 am 

I think that this is a fine article and all good advice. But may I add a few points?<P>Always take a spare pair of tights with you - you never know when your tights will get a tear.<P>No heavy makeup - just lightly.<P>I always took either a banana or an apple. Sometimes there can be quite a long wait for things to get started and this will keep your energy up without overfilling your stomach. <P>Always check the ribbons and elastics on your shoes - they have a mind of their own and might pick that moment to tear off the shoes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Successful Audition Technique!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:59 am 

Wonderful advice! I'll make sure my daughter reads it.<P>Thank you!