public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audition tomorrow!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:09 am 

I have to go to Philadelphia in the morning to audition for University of the Arts! I am SO NERVOUS!! I just finished my solo piece with my teachers- not yesterday, but the day before. It's a little tricky- especially because I do it barefoot, and there is lots of turning (which doesn't help if you aren't a good turner already!) I still have that "successful audiiton technique" post, does anyone have any more tips for not messing up? We just had a WONDERFUL senior dance conert last night, my piece turned out exactly as I wanted it to! SO hopefully that confidence will cross over- but I have never auditioned for college before- I'm so nervous!!!!! Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Audition tomorrow!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:20 am 

Bebounce, don't think of it as 'nervousness' but as 'excitement' - that's a much more positive feeling. And that's what it's all about!!<P>I am sure you will do splendidly. You have done the work and now you get to taste the food. Remember, they know you are a student, they don't expect you to be perfect. <P>I wish you every ounce of luck in the world. Please let us know what happens tomorrow. I will send you good luck vibes:<P>Basheva ~~~~~~~~~~>Bebounce<P>And, congratulations on your performance - I am not at all surprised you did so well!!<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:14 pm 

Best of luck from me too, bebounce. I remember the feeling. Be yourself, and although it may sound odd: enjoy it! Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:43 pm 

Bebounce, I'm just checking in for the first time today. I don't know if you'll see this before your audition, but my thoughts will be with you either way. I'd cancel all the "what-if's" and think instead about all the things you love about dance, about all the progress you've made, about that successful concert you just had (Congrats!). Then just let you shine through. As Red Shoes said, enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:32 pm 

I just got home a while ago, and the audition went WONDERFULLY!!!!! I have to go now, so I'll write more later. Thanks for all of your encouragement! Image Image Image Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:56 pm 

Basheva <-------waiting to hear from Bebounce what happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:12 pm 

Glad you checked in to let us know it went well, Bebounce. I'm waiting for details, too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:07 am 

Well done Bebounce - whatever happens at least you know you gave your best and you had a positive expereinec - that to me is a success.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:23 pm 

When we got there, everyone warned us about the jazz teachers. THe aduition was 45 min. ballet, about 15 min. modern and 15 min. jazz. The ballet was not hard, and I kept my technique up WITH EXPRESSION on my face, and did extra things like go for extra pirouettes or get my developpe higher. Which is weird, cuz I pulled my groin muscle I think, and NOTHING HURT that day! THe modern was horton technique, which is well known in modern, but a lot of people don't learn it. Many of the girls were just balletic, not well-rounded. THat is the main technique of my school (along with graham), so it just flowed so well. THe jazz was FAST, but a lot easier to pick up than I thought 'twould be. SO I just put attitude into it, and did what I did- and looked pretty decent doing it! MY solo went better than it has EVER gone in practice, and even the parts I improved when I got lost (oops!) were kewl. THe women seemed impressed by it, and told me so. She was also suprised that I had been studying dance for 1.5 years, and said that I dance very well. I was ESTATIC!!! A friend of mine who graduated from our high school goes ther, and helped with and watched auditions: he said that I had done WELL, probably well enough to get into the school. I just made sure that I put PASSION and ATTITUDE into all that I did, and even some of the other auditionees said that I had done well! I was so excited! I think that I got in!!!!! Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:58 pm 

Oh Bebounce - that sounds wonderful!<P>Passion and attitude - a combination that can't be beat.<P>Isn't it amazing how things often go better in performance than in rehearsal?<P>When will you know for sure if you got in?<P>Are you going to be auditioning for any other schools?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 9:54 am 

I'm really happy for you, Bebounce. What was your solo? Did you choreograph it? Looking forward to your answers to these and Basheva's questions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:21 am 

I'll know next week or the week after whether or not I got in. THe only other school I would dance in would be Howard University, if I decide to go. And I don't want to Image. My solo was contemporary ballet with modern and jazz, it was very eclectic. The intro was adagiatic (balletic). IT looks like how we dance at school, a big blend! I choreographed the beginning and other parts, but two of my teachers helped with a lot, one even gave me a part of a piece we are doing for our show as choreography. It was really fast though, I ddin't get it right UNTIL the audition. I ended up changing somethings on theb spot whil I was dancing also, but it worked out for the absolute best! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:23 am 
YOU GO GIRL--you have determination and a positive attitude AS WELL AS TALENT(even if I've havent seen you yet)!<BR>KEEP US POSTED!