public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult beginner studio in Los Angeles?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 8:13 pm 

I've just started ballet (had modern training as a child ever so many years ago) and while I've found a teacher I like very much, I simply cannot get free the times her class is scheduled. Can someone recommend some good studios in LA?<P>Thank you<P>------------------<BR>

Post subject: Re: Adult beginner studio in Los Angeles?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 5:16 am 

Welcome to our board MA - it is a pleasure to have you.<P>As soon as I have a change I am going to try to e-mail one of our members who I know takes class in Los Angeles and ask him to post to you. So please keep checking back.<P>Once again, welcome........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 10:24 am 

I did e-mail the member who lives in LA - and I hope you will be seeing a posting from him soon.....<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 3:35 pm 

Ma:<P>Here's some information I hope can be of use. Feel free to e-mail me directly for additional info. This is far from a complete list, but it represents most of the schools I know of that teach adult classes in the Los Angeles area.<P>Hollywood:<P>Edge: <A HREF="http://www.edgepac.com" TARGET=_blank>www.edgepac.com</A> <BR>Cole Ave. South of Santa Monica<BR>Lots of different classes at various times. Good teachers. Intense students. A lot of touring pros come here, so a beginning class may in fact have several very advanced people in it. My experience with the teacher when I went was very good, but the more advanced dancers were more interested in showing off. It made it a bit uncomfortable at times.<P>Hollywood Dance Center: <A HREF="http://www.hollywooddancecenter.com." TARGET=_blank>www.hollywooddancecenter.com.</A> <BR>Highland Ave. between Melrose and Santa Monica.<BR>A number of morning classes on weekdays. Very little on weekends. I've heard good things about the weekday instructor. They offer a few weekend classes for various levels. I was not impressed by the weekend classes I took.<P>La Brea Dance Arts Academy<BR>La Brea South of Wilshire Blvd.<BR>Various instructor. Call or stop in for brochures.<BR>This is a very nice, new school. Lots of different classes for all levels. Instructors range in styles, from strictly RAD (which is very hard to find in LA) to one very strict Russina. They have a lot to offer in a good environment. I take my weekday classes here with Cynthia Molnar. She teaches beginning on Tuesday and Friday at 9:30 - 11:00 AM, and intermediate on Monday and Wednesday from 9:30 - 11:00AM. She's very good and really enjoys teaching adults. There are several other instructors whom I've only watched. It's also the home of the Inland Pacific Ballet.<P>The Dancer's Studio<BR>Pico Ave. East of Fairfax<BR>Never been inside but I heard it's a very "New York" type of space -- kind of like a loft. Sounds fun. No web site, so you have to call. Two adult ballet teachers. You'll have to call them for more info on their classes:<BR>Steven Wenta 310/ 836-8036<BR>Akemi: 323/ 932-1706<P>Santa Monica<P>Westside Academy of Dance: <A HREF="http://www.westsideballet.com" TARGET=_blank>www.westsideballet.com</A> <BR>Stewart Street North of Olympic<BR>This is a full-blown ballet school. Lots of classes in everything from pas de deux to pointe. Several different adult classes from beginner to advanced. Good teachers and the facility is pretty nice as well. I study with Celeste Amos here on weekends. She's very good with adults, especially if you need encouragement. She's a good motivator. She really makes you work.<P>Revolution:<BR>Montana Ave. between 12th and 13th.<BR>This is the place that started the whole spinning crazy. They move the bikes aside a few days a week and teach ballet and pointe. Celeste teachers here as well. Call for schedule.<P>North Hollywood<P>Millenium:<BR>Lankershim just South of Magnolia<BR>Small (really small) busy place that seems to concentrate on more current dance styles. Only one ballet class I'm aware of on Tuesday nights. The teacher, Anthony, is amazing. He's also Vaganova which can be a bit confusing and extremely intense at times.<P>Pasadena<P>Le Studio <A HREF="http://www.lestudiodance.com" TARGET=_blank>www.lestudiodance.com</A> <BR>Another full blown ballet school run by Charles and Phillip Fuller. Evening classes for adults during the week. Nice space, good teachers. Worth the trip. A friend of mine from the San Jose ballet may be teaching there this summer. If he does, I'l be making the trip from Hollywood a lot more often.<P>I've been to all but one of these places and am happy to share my experiences with you if you want. Hope this list helps.<P>Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 6:58 pm 

Can't thank you enough for the detailed response. Edge I know (that's the class I have trouble making) and I'm on the westside so I'll try the Westside Academy.<P>Miriam

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 7:06 pm 

Thank you so much 2 Left Feet - for taking the time to help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 4:47 pm 

Basheva:<P>I've had the luxury of time to look around and find teachers who are good with adults. You've talked on numerous occasions about the importance of finding instructors who like teaching adults. I agree. It can make or break your ability to enjoy a class and learn. I hope this list helps others, too. <P>Ed

Profile E-mail