public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dana Tai Soon Burgess
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 11:56 pm 

<B>'Silk Roads' a The Kennedy Centre</B> <P><BR>When Washington dancer-choreographer Dana Tai Soon Burgess presents the world premiere of "Silk Roads" early next month at the Kennedy Center, he will be finishing a four-year creative journey that took him to Pakistan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea. "Silk Roads," commissioned by the Kennedy Center, is the final section of his full-length "Trilogy." The other sections are "Helix," first performed at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in 1998, and "Mandala."<P><A HREF="http://www.washtimes.com/arts/20011124-483298272.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dana Tai Soon Burgess
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:00 am 

<B>Cross-Cultural Moves</B> <BR>By Lisa Traiger for The Washington Post<P><BR>AS A CHILD, choreographer Dana Tai Soon Burgess frequently felt like an outsider. "My mom's Korean, her family immigrated to Hawaii in 1904; my dad's Caucasian, his family's been here since the 1800s. . . . Often I look back to childhood. When I started to investigate and create [dances], the East-West synthesis [was] about finding a place where my perspective made sense to me."<P>As a Eurasian child coming of age in Santa Fe, N.M., Burgess saw few faces that resembled his own. "It almost makes the mystery of finding a place where you belong more real," he says, "finding a place where people think in the same way you do and look the same as you do." <P><A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2608-2001Dec6.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:46 am 

Dana teaches ballet and modern at my studio and I periodically take his class. I'm going to see him for the first time in performance on Saturday!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:55 am 

<B>Dana Tai Soon Burgess's Triumphant 'Trilogy'</B> <BR>By Sarah Kaufman in The Washington Post <P><BR>It was just a few years ago that Dana Tai Soon Burgess arrived in Washington, a soft-spoken but self-possessed young dancer who knew exactly what he wanted to do here. He intended to form a dance company, he told people; its members would be Asian Americans like himself, and they would explore themes that bridged the divide between Eastern and Western cultures.<P>It hardly seemed like a promising proposition -- Burgess's intellectual, esoteric approach ran contrary to the harder-edged, athletic current dominating the dance field. Yet Burgess did exactly what he said he would do, and more. <P><A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18072-2001Dec9.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:37 am 

The Language Of Dance, Making Itself Clear in Peru
By Clare Croft
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, August 8, 2004; Page N01
Quote:
No matter the locale, the ballet world uses French terms for steps. But modern dance has no standard vocabulary: The word choice and the tongue are dependent upon the choreographer or teacher. In Peru this summer, Washington choreographer Dana Tai Soon Burgess worked with Spanish-speaking dancers; his body was pressed into service as translator, testing whether dance really is a universal language.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:58 am 

Quote:
An Odyssey to Nowhere
by JACK ANDERSON for the new York Times

Dancers kept marching in and out with ritualistic solemnity. In one scene they filled small suitcases with pineapples. From time to time, glimpses of steamships, palm trees and photos from family albums flashed across the backdrop.

published: May 24, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:25 am 

Quote:
Timely and Timeless
Some Asian choreographers ride the pop culture bandwagon; others plumb their traditions
by DEBORAH JOWITT for the Village Voice

D.C. choreographer Dana Tai Soon Burgess's Tracings is aptly named. It was inspired by his tracing of his great-grandparents' 1903emigration from Japan-dominated Korea to Hawaii, where they and their descendants picked pineapples on Del Monte's plantation.

published: May 31, 2005
more in the second part of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:55 am 

War's Toll, Leaving Us At a Loss
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 6, 2006; Page C05

Quote:
Memory is destiny in Dana Tai Soon Burgess's new work, "Images From the Embers," which premiered Friday at George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium. Throughout the 75-minute work, the chronic pain of lost love fills the stage like smoke, as subtle lighting, dark music and tense, deliberately hesitant movement create a layered impression of mourning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/05/AR2006030501009.html

Profile E-mail