public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:51 am 

Rogelio, you mean in the Ballet-Dance Mag December issue? No, it's Nikitina, properly labeled. Shrinkina is MUCH smaller with dark hair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 am 

Catherine, I think that Rogelio might be referring not the the photo of Nikitina and Zelensky in the review of the Zelensky Artistic Evening but, rather, to the photo of a lone female at the top of the review of the Nov. 16 Apollo, a couple of days after the Zelensky Evening. That photo is labeled "Danila Korsuntsev" but it is of a woman.

http://www.ballet-dance.com/200812/arti ... wlick.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 am 

Oh geez! Yes that is Shirinkina! Huge error in that label! I will let the site admin know. Thanks for that heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:35 am 

Daria Pavlenko's long-awaited return to the stage is this coming Friday night, 9 January, during the Forsythe Evening. Will Catherine or other CD reporters be there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:59 pm 

Alas, no, I will miss it, though I wish I could be there! I will say that I have seen her, and you would never know the woman had given birth -- long and lithe as a string bean, and beautiful as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Alas, no, I will miss it, though I wish I could be there! I will say that I have seen her, and you would never know the woman had given birth -- long and lithe as a string bean, and beautiful as always.

Too bad--we were hoping for a report of that performance. :) Hopefully, you won't miss the Olga Moiseyeva soirée gala coming up on the 26th.

Anyway, I figured out why Ulyana Lopatkina seemed more "mature" looking in her very recent performances as O/O--she doesn't appear to be wearing eye makeup and a wig, at least compared to what I see in the April 2006 performances that are part of the 2007 DVD release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:58 pm 

In a very interesting turn of events, Eifman Ballet dancer Yuri Smekalov, one of Eifman's top performers, has just joined the Mariinsky Theatre and has a list of premieres ahead of him in the coming months.

Smekalov will first appear in Corsaire this Sunday as Birbanto (Sarafanov and Nioradze are dancing).

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 15/1_1130/

That makes two former Eifman dancers now at the Mariinsky in the past 18 months.

Last edited by Catherine Pawlick on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm 

Wow, Catherine. That follows the Eifman 'prima' Vera Arbuzova (of Red Giselle fame) who just joined the Mikhailovsky (ex-Maly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm 

Right. And Kozlov (though in terms of tenure, of far lesser note).

The Maly has a growing list of stars now. The Matvienkos, of course, topping off the list. Speaking of which, in case anyone reading this will be here, Denis is having a gala of sorts on Men's Day (Feb. 23) at the Mikhailovsky and will dance in Don Q. I have to say -- he's superb as Basil.

And while this doenst relate immediately to the topic of the thread, Denis DID dance for one season with the Kirov.
</end info on Mikhailovsky troupe here>

Okay, carry on folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am 

Tomorrow Svetlana Zakharova will be appearing at her old home, the Mariinsky Theater, with Vladimir Shklyarov in "Romeo and Juliet."

This is one that I would like to see. The last time I saw her was Amsterdam in July where she performed Odette-Odile ("Swan Lake"). I thought that she showed an impressive depth of portrayal. (As a 'total aside but can't be mentioned enough' 'fellow' Bolshoi dancer Maria Alexandrova, who danced a soft and beautiful Odette-Odile at last year's Mariinsky Festival, was 'Absolutely Enchanting!!' in Paris last December as "Raymonda".)

Another that I would love to see is Evgenia Obraztsova in "Romeo and Juliet". Based on internet video clips that I've seen her young Juliet is an absolute masterpiece. Hopefully she will be appearing at the Mariinsky Festival this year along with Daria Pavlenko, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Zhanna Ayupova/Yulia Makhalina (doing anything)....

To belabor the subject, but still not enough, wouldn't it be great to see Veronika Part do something at the Mariinsky. If an 'alum' like Svetlana Zakharova can be invited occasionally, why not 'Veronika'. It would remind the world what great ballerinas have developed at the Vaganova and Mariinsky. If they are waiting for her to finally become a Principal--Well what an interesting idea !

In any case I hope you do great tomorrow--'Svetlana' !

[Maria Alexandrova comment added]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the comments Buddy. I've seen Obratsova's Juliet and she is master in that role, absolutely beautiful. She fits the character perfectly. You would enjoy it.

I too am missing Pavlenko, especially. I don't expect to see Ayupova again on stage but you never know. The others, however, should be cast more frequently and it's sad that they're not. I'm sorry I didn't see Pavlenko's January performances but I'm looking forward to her next appearances onstage.

Makhalina just completed a rather large gala event at the MT, so I doubt if she will be featured much in the festival this year. Osmolkina will be though, without a doubt.

As to why Part hasn't been made principal...the only explanation I have is that life isn't fair. There's no logical reason for this. I've had extended discussions about this with others and politics is really the only practical explanation. In terms of technical requirements, Part has had everything it takes, and she's had it in spades for years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:23 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
.....As to why Part hasn't been made principal...the only explanation I have is that life isn't fair. There's no logical reason for this. I've had extended discussions about this with others and politics is really the only practical explanation. In terms of technical requirements, Part has had everything it takes, and she's had it in spades for years...

I agree. Part was extraordinary in her recent Odette-Odile at the Kennedy Center, opposite Gomes. Those two simply scorched the stage with their passion and poetry. ABT's version of SWAN LAKE is far from my favorite but Veronika Part gave, to me, the most perfect performance of Odette-Odile that I've witnessed in 40-plus years of serious ballet-viewing. It was ridiculous to see Part two nights later dancing one of two 'big swans' in the corps, as background for Michele Wiles (who was quite wonderful in a less passionate, more technical manner). Part should play second-fiddle to nobody, at this stage in her career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:46 am 

I haven't seen Part since she was with the Kirov. In those days she seemed to suffer from a weight problem. Has she overcome that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:05 am 

Cassandra wrote:
I haven't seen Part since she was with the Kirov. In those days she seemed to suffer from a weight problem. Has she overcome that?

Cassandra, structurally I wouldn't call Veronika Part a 'delicate' woman, but I certainly would 'not' call her overweight. I understand from reading that she did lose some weight several years ago and seems to look better from a ballet point of view because of it. Having never stood near her, these are only my stage side observations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm 

Cassandra wrote:

Cassandra, having seen her just last week I can report that she is now as thin as I've ever seen her...as thin, if not thinner, than when she was as a student in at the Vaganova Academy in 1994/1995...definitely thinner than when we first saw her as Lilac Fairy in 1999. Her gorgeous face is noticeably more 'chiseled' than before but still stunning.

Not to be crude but she is absolutely sleeker in the -- ahum -- "top department," making me wonder if she had a bit of surgical assistance, in addition to dieting? She is markedly thinner there than when she was 15 or 16.

The Prince Siegfried, Marcelo Gomes, was able to lift her easily and repeatedly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next