public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada – Summer 2008
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:07 pm 

Well, it’s time to dance into Summer. The sun set on the career of Jennifer Fournier who graces the Summer cover of Dance International. Michael Crabb was full of prose!

Quote:
As used to be a popular pastime, fans talked of the sparkling, seemingly fearless young blond as "the next Karen Kain." She was tall like Kain; she ate space like Kain; she danced inside the music like Kain; she lit up a stage like Kain. But she was not Kain, nor ever pretended to be.

Kain was an idol, became Fournier's mentor, colleague and friend -- for years they shared a dressing room -- and finally her boss. The day Kain danced her last Swan Lake -- a Saturday-night sold-out performance -- Fournier was making her
matinee debut in the lead role. Where was Kain? In the audience, of course, to support a talent she admired.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:53 am 

While we’re on the topic of Jennifer Fournier, she certainly received a bouquet full of glowing press dancing off into the sunset in the Manner of Isadora Duncan to the music of 5 Brahms Waltzes!

My favorite prose was from Jennifer Fournier herself only to be found within the pages of the NBoC Performance program (sadly there was no web link to be found).

Quote:
“My imagination has always been captured by live performance. A ballet like John Cranko’s Romeo and Juliet could illuminate the idea of love for me in a way that real life often felt short of. Not only was dance not limited by words but it could also express what words could not.

…Dance is an art form that holds physical beauty as an ideal. What could be more subjective? Often in my pursuit of someone else’s vision, I would betray what was unique about me. It is necessary for dancers to strive to improve and to do this they must be brutally honest and self-critical, but also know how to love themselves.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 am 

The Globe & Mail reports on Mad Hot Gala II for the dance and after dance schmoozing!

Quote:
Balletomanes came out en masse for Mad Hot II, the National Ballet of Canada's second annual fundraising gala at the Four Seasons Centre. And the night lived up to its name, starting with the stunning one-hour performance by the company's top dancers, staging four exhilarating pieces that earned them rapturous applause.

The Toronto Star reveals the tab for all of the above! Yikes!!

Quote:
The fee for her thrill: $1,500 including the performance, cocktail party, dinner onstage and dancing with the stars of the National Ballet of Canada.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 pm 

Mad HOTT Gala II!!

As if...there was any doubt that Heather Ogden was H-O-Double-T HOTT, the Mad Hot Gala II program featured this ballerina hottie blonde bombshell all ablaze-A fireball engulfing the cover from her pointe shoes! The above fiery image was also featured on the southwest corner of the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts courtesy of some lovestruck sidewalk chalk artist. Too bad Mother Nature will eventually wash away his artwork homage to the priceless beauty of Heather Ogden.

Never before had I climbed to the dizzying heights of Ring 5, and yet, somehow, I made it to my seat sans oxygen mask and hiking boots. The Mönch like climb to my balletic Mount Eiger was well worth it to feast tired orbs upon this hot Jungfrau! Fortunately, I didn’t forget my opera glasses, suffer any nose bleeds, and found my way to the special post-performance reception to quaff down cocktails and gobble up hors d’oeuvres without the aid of a Saint Bernard! How I suffer for my art! Okay, I had a Frasier Crane moment.

It was most apropos we uncorked our evening of champagne dance with the exercise at the barre ballet, Etudes. Nehemiah Kish did not perform here but he certainly will have ample opportunity to practice this 1948 Harald Lander work, now that he has defected to the Royal Danish Ballet. We’re treated to the classic piano by Karl Czerny arranged for orchestra by Knudåge Riisager. Slowly building in sophistication, the choreography squeezes in almost every step in the ballet canon from pliés to fouettés to jetés to spinning tops galore. This is a must see ballet for fans of the tutu, shadow lighting, and classical technique. Of course, Heather Ogden was hott but I preferred her performance in the Friday mixed program, which also featured Etudes. Despite seeing Etudes for a 2nd time within a span of 4 days, it was still very fresh and most entertaining.

Next up, we have the much storied delay for the world premiere of Veer with muscular dance moves courtesy of former National Ballet School of Canada student and dancer for Alberta Ballet, Sabrina Matthews. It was a little too abstract, modern, and dark for my tastes but I certainly did appreciate all the different moves showing off the human body. Veer would have made its debut during the Erik Bruhn Competition last year had Keiichi Hirano not blown out his Achilles tendon dancing in Le Corsaire. His partner, Tina Pereira, a replacement for the injured Bridgett Zehr, danced on, creating her own ending (Ballet Improv) and performed an unrehearsed Balcony Pas de Deux from Romeo and Juliet in place of Veer with a fan who volunteered to partner her from the audience-Guillaume Côté! Tina Pereira must believe in making lemonade when life gives you lemons, as she faced the music and danced winning the Erik Bruhn Competition to a teary-eyed thunderous standing O! Both Hirano and Pereira have a bright future with the National and both received much heartfelt applause for their Gala performance.

Nehemiah Kish revealed to all why Copenhagen opened up the vault to sign him as a free agent from the National Ballet of Canada with a show stopping performance in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux. Air Kish defied gravity with his leaps and spins all the while being a prefect partner for Heather Ogden. Both sparkled on stage and danced the emotion of Tchaikovsky’s music to life!

This was all-you-can-see ballet with an all-you-can-eat buffet after the show. To top it all off Karen Kain also served up Rubies from Jewels. I must admit my review is clouded by my memories of a 2003 matinée performance.

Quote:
“Of all the glittering jewels gracing the stage for Thursday’s afternoon delight one sparkled more than any emerald, ruby, or even diamond could ever hope to sparkle. Call me another (happy) victim of ballerina magnetism but this precious gem boasts the glowing face and beaming body of which National Ballet of Canada dreams are made on! Mere prose cannot do justice to the delicious images she created on stage. This is one ballerina who knows how to shine and isn’t afraid to face the music and dance: Every step was imbued with spontaneity; every moment on stage was danced as if it was her last; every eye in the house was glued to her as the come-hither ruby in Jewels. She danced en pointe as if Sir Isaac Newton’s silly theories of gravity applied to her-NOT!

Unlike Tristan and Isolde, Jewels lives up to the National Ballet of Canada’s cheeky tagline, ‘Come to the Ballet!’ Those fortunate enough to be retired, playing hooky from work or school were treated to undulating hips, dizzying pirouettes, bedroom eyes glancing skywards, sassy high kicks, flirtatious skipping with imaginary rope, and jazzy moves galore. These goo-goo eyes were glued from seat A 28. Sneaking a close up glance with opera glasses is one of my many, many guilty pleasures. What my mind’s eye witnessed was poetry in motion, a ballerina siren putting it all together: theatrical persona, dance technique, plus musicality. Triple wow!!! This ruby absolutely glowed surrendering body and spirit to the choreography of Mr. B as she danced the music of Stravinsky to life! Not even Aurora Borealis could match the steps of this dancing delight! The jewel of my eye was a ballerina goddess with the very poetic name of Heather Ogden.”

Greta Hodgkinson was a technical marvel but she couldn’t imbue her performance with the carefree spirit of youth essential for Rubies. The corps de ballet, costumes, and orchestra all dazzled. It was a delicious evening of dance and hors d’oeuvres FREE to smart dance fans who renewed their subscription before April 18th! Sadly, the 2008/2009 season is 127 days away as of the date I post this review….

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:29 pm 

You can check out the cover of the Mad Hot Gala II program by clicking HERE and scrolling down a little.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:46 am 

Woo! The Globe & Mail posted pics from the Mad Hot Gala II special dinner and dance with the dancers. I think I’ll have a 2 for 1 dance lesson from Heather and Greta!! :wink: :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 am 

Greta Hodgkinson and Etienne Lavigne got hitched!

Quote:
A year-and-a-half ago, Lavigne commandeered a stage, enlisted the help of fellow dancers and ballet techies, then lured his future bride centre stage, where she was immediately framed by a spotlight. With Hodgkinson thus transfixed, Lavigne dropped to one knee and made his proposal, driving it home with an impressive yellow diamond.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:01 pm 

Susan Walker reports on the 2 lovebirds with a lovely picture.

Quote:
Neither bride nor groom required dance lessons for the traditional first waltz around the reception floor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:46 am 

I did some number crunching to discover there was a lot of reading activity for the NBoC topic over the past year:

National Ballet of Canada – Summer 2007 = 13,880 views
National Ballet of Canada – Autumn 2007 = 8,508 views
National Ballet of Canada – Winter 2008 = 7,975 views
National Ballet of Canada – Spring 2008 = 5,340 views

Total = 35,703 views!

Too bad there wasn’t more variety of posters! I’m bored of reading that Michael Goldbarth guy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:58 am 

Greta Hodgkinson blogs about choreographing her wedding.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:34 pm 

Thanks for posting that Michael. It makes a nice change to read about a dancers real life.

I will also encourage those of you lurking around to join the conversation. We value your opinion!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 am 

At long last Mr. K spills the beans over coffee with Paula Citron as to why he and the NBoC went Splitsville!

Quote:
“But when the conversation turns to his split from the National, his mood changes, and his words pour out in a torrent. According to Kudelka, it was the new performing-arts centre itself - which would house both the Ballet and the Canadian Opera Company - that created the fault line.

…Central to that storm were his fears that the new house would impact negatively on the company’s budget, siphoning funds away from its creative mandate.”

I’m glad he finds the new ballet schedule troubling…

Quote:
“…Also troubling to him was how audience attendance would be affected by the National’s February season shifting to March, during the school break; and the May season shifting to June…”

It’s so refreshing to read an interview where the subject lets the reader know how they really feel!

Quote:
“…The result is that Kudelka has distanced himself from the National, which he now affectionately calls ‘the evil empire.’”

James Kudelka held nothing back, even for himself!

Quote:
“I’m a caustic, difficult person and I made myself unemployable.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:51 pm 

I would just like to pass some kudos to Paula Citron for the above prose. The interview with James Kudelka was the most interesting piece of dance journalism I’ve read in a long time!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 pm 

Wow, I am astonished at te honest. It's so refreshing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:53 am 

The Paula Citron story on the parting of ways with Mr. K and the NBoC along with his baking buns instead of training bun heads inspired the below letter to the editor:

Quote:
It's so sad that James Kudelka, the former artistic director of the National Ballet of Canada, is now baking bread instead of creating new ballets, and feeling so alienated from the company that benefited so much from his creative talent (Kudelka Breaks His Silence - Review, July 19). His work marked the National Ballet's coming of age, and he ushered the Toronto company out of museum status and into distinction.

…And dance fans like me, old and young (I hope), have to budget to buy a ticket.

Profile E-mail