public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Magnificat!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:40 pm 

I went and saw them perform last night. I am not very good at this review thing , but I will give it a shot.<P> The First part of the Program which was called "Give me Jesus" I liked. I did not like how it started out but as it progressed I liked. It was all done on flat. My fav. part of that was Kumbaya. It was the first and last thing in this peice they performed ,but both times it was diffrent and the last time was just amazing. Up bet and energizing. I just loved it!<P> Now to the best part.......<P> After the intermission was "Deliver Us!". This was the most breathe taking ,soul enriching peice. The music was from the Prince of Egypt and the choreography was done by Jiri Sebastian Voborsky who was also the lead male dancer.<P> He was amazing. He has a smile that your either born with or your not. Know what I mean? His dancing was amazing. He,like all the dancers,glowed with a love of God. I was truly touched.<P> After seeing this,Dancing for this Company seems like something I would love to do. They are not only dancing,well might I add,They are dancing for The Lord.<P> Well now that I'm done with that! If any of y'all have ever seen them perform I would love to hear what you think.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited February 24, 2002).]

Post subject: Re: Ballet Magnificat!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:35 pm 

Where did you see them perform may I ask?<P>How large is the company and do they tour? How old of a company are they?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:24 pm 

Here's a previous <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000147.html" TARGET=_blank><B>link to a thread on this company</B></A> with the address of their website.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:38 pm 

I saw them Perform in Citrus Heights. The company has about 14 Members but there is a school with 500 students. They have Trainees and Apprentices. The company started in 82' I belive.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:40 pm 

Ah, and yes they do Tour. They were going up to Oregon and Washington after this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:56 am 

"How large is the company and do they tour? How old of a company are they?"<P>Company has ranged from five dancers to about ten/twelve over the years. First performance in Oct, 1986. In first 2 1/2 years, 250 performances in twenty-six states.<BR>They are still on the road a good part of the year.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:54 am 

In the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Quote:
Ballet company pirouettes for Jesus

Ballet Magnificat! was founded to dance for Jesus. more

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:17 pm 
Sounds ghastly...saw Kathy on the Dance for Gold show. It was embarrassing - I wonder how this would sell outside the Bible Belt. Of course, I rather prefer tutus and crowns, Billy Forsythe and Hans Van Manen. Warra ya gonna do...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:06 am 

let me cast my vote with you, auntie!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:14 pm 

Company to perform
2003-03-01

Quote:
Ballet Magnificat! will perform the modern oratorio "Saviour" with the Voices of Crossings and Festival Orchestra at 7:30 p.m. March 13 at Crossings Community Church, 14600 N Portland Ave.
Ballet Magnificat! is the first full-time professional ballet company formed for the sole purpose of Christian performance. With added vocal soloists, this live work presents God's plan for His people from creation to the resurrection of Jesus Christ using music and dance.
<a href="http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=992845&TP=getarticle">click here for more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:05 pm 
If they've got the Hail Mary pass in football, can the Our Father triple pirouette be far behind...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:47 pm 

Ballet Magnificat! will be performing "Deliver Us" for the Easter season March 24-25, 2007 at Thalia Mara Hall in Jackson, Mississippi. Sherry Lucas previews the performance in the Jackson Clarion-Ledger:

Clarion-Ledger

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:18 pm 

In a piece for the Associated Press, Kathy Hanrahan speaks with Ballet Magnificat Artistic Director Kathy Thibodeaux about the company; reprinted in the Religion section of the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm 

Sarah Kaufman extensively profiles the company in the Washington Post.

Washington Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm 

Sherry Lucas reports on a new work by Tara Thibodeaux Drew utilizing modern dance vocabulary and technique in the Jackson Clarion Ledger.

Jackson Clarion Ledger

Profile E-mail