home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shobana Jeyasingh 2005-2006
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:42 pm 

Quote:
Exit No Exit, Gardner Arts Centre, Brighton
by ZOE ANDERSON

In Exit No Exit, the new work by the British-based choreographer Shobana Jeyasingh, two scenarios overlap. The dancer Rathimalar Govindarajoo sits at a table, glaring into space, or gets up to dance. Around her, other dancers perform sequences of steps. Govindarajoo doesn't respond, even when she's picked up and taken off the stage.

published: February 13, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:08 pm 

I saw this last night at the Linbury. Flicker was a disappointment, despite stunning lighting & filmic backdrop and a wonderful score by Michael Nyman. Bits of it were great, especially when the dancers were literally between a beam of light, dancing mismatched and sometimes chiming. But it missed the mark generally for me. The choreography couldn't live up to the concept & set.

Exit No Exit on the other hand was great -- very watchable and stylish. Possibly about a woman who can't escape herself or her isolation. The clarinetist stuck up on a corner podium was a nice touch and Rathimlalar Govindarajoo was outstanding throughout the night, looking coolly pissed off, distempered or simply dancing in that ace pink dress. Again, beautiful lighting and use of film -- all light, airy and watery and great costuming by the fabulously named Ursula Bombshell.

I think my problem with Shobana Jeyasingh is where Bharata Natyam (classical Indian dance) meets modern, western contemporary dance - which should be a really exciting place, yet experts in Bharata, who are compelling and beautiful to watch doing what they're best at, struggle pulling off straight contemporary dance. They sickle their feet for example. Or am I expecting the wrong thing? Is the sickled foot what should be seen? Is that the point, the result of cultural hybridisation? No, it can't be. The only dancer I've seen pull it off completely, professionally and gorgeously is Mavin Khoo. Who I shall be going to watch in the next couple of weeks. Bharata mixed with martial arts mixed with contemporary dance is a fine and exciting thing: "A hybridisation of movement languages and other disciplines is used as a vehicle for exploration across cultures" says londondance.com. But, meh. Perhaps I was tired.

A packed Linbury Studio though, which is always good to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:48 am 

Quote:
Shobana Jeyasingh Dance Co
by JUDITH MACKRELL for the Guardian

Shobana Jeyasingh's latest double bill is not only the fruit of a two-year collaboration with composer Michael Nyman, but an evening of sharp contrasts. While opener Flicker is created out of abstract rushes of movement and patterns of digital light, powered by the fractured energies of Nyman's computerised score, the choreography of its companion piece, Exit No Exit, takes time to contemplate its own interior narrative and inhabits a world of more familiar human encounters.

published: March 9, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:33 am 

Thanks kurinuku. Judith puts it rather more succinctly than me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:56 am 

Stella I really enjoyed your review! Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Observer, 12 March,
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 am 

Luke Jennings on Exit No Exit

Quote:
At the beginning of Shobana Jeyasingh's Exit No Exit we discover Rathimalar Govindarajoo sitting at a cafe table in a cocktail dress. Galvanised by some unknown impulse, she begins to pound out a dance. It's Bharat Natyam, but not as you know it.

Not a word about Flicker.