public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Auditions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:36 pm 

First let me say to Basheva, Thank you very much for all your help to me with questions, questions, questions! I'm full of them! Image Thanks to all the other people who have helped me out in the past as well. Anyway, my question today is about auditions. My daughter is 12 has never had an audition so we have no clue what goes on in one. We will be relocating back to the States soon and figure we better know. She has also started pointe work about 7 months ago. I understand from previous posts about the dress and attitude associated with attending one but what actually goes on? Thanks again!<p>[This message has been edited by dancersmom (edited January 01, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Auditions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:44 am 

DancersMom - thank you so much for your kind words, I think I can speak for all of us when I say that it gives us a lot of pleasure to share and help.<P>Since you say you understand about how to dress and behave at an audition, I am going to assume that you have read the several threads on this board about auditions. If I am wrong about that let me know and I will post in the links to the threads - or you could do a search in both the Studio and Students' Questions which is at the top right hand side of the page.<P>As for what goes on....well, most auditions are like a ballet class. Especially for youngsters they will most probably have a barre, then center work. I usually arrivede having done a pre-warmup for myself. It depends on how the person running the audition does it as to how the auditioners are informed of the result. <P>Sometimes the weeding out process happens as the audition goes along. For instance some may be eliminated right after barre work, or as the center work moves on. But many people think that if the auditioner has made the effort to come (and many times paid for the audition) then the courtesy of a complete class should be given. In those cases they might be informed of the result at the very end of the class or by letter.<P>There was a very interesting article in Dance Europe's December issue on auditions. It was an interview with 16 artistic directors seeking professional dancers, but a lot of the parameters of an audition are the same.<P>The important thing, especially at your daughter's age, is for her to see it for the true level of importance that it is. Being accepted or not, will not change the course of her life. One way to counteract the possibility of her placing too much importance on it, is to attend several auditions and that way she will have many opportunities and gain a lot of experience.<P>And have allternative plans, just in case.<P>It's very difficult for the student to see it in its true perspective and not be overly anxious, and if not selected, overly despondent. That takes a lot of care and planning on the part of the adults around her.<P>So, the brief answer is, it's just a ballet class, most of the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:43 pm 

From the past threads that I read, there does seem to be a lot of anxieties associated with auditions. I had no idea that it was just like a class, that makes me feel a little better. If a student is weeded out during the audition or if they are eventually not accepted are you told why? I ask because it would help her not feel so down. It may be as simple as an area that she need to work on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:01 pm 

DancersMom - that is again a very good question. It depends on who is running the audition. Some feel like it is a helpful thing to indicate why the student has not been accepted. Others don't really want to.<P>Let's be honest here, some people won't accept the reason and the auditioner might not want to get bogged down in a detailed discussion that could turn into an argument. <P>As for in a letter - some will indicate in a letter and some will not. You could ask in advance, how you will be informed of the result and if negative if you will be told why. <P>I also think it could depend on the age range of the student and how many students turn up for the audition as to what approach is used.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:20 pm 

At our auditions for the American Academy of Ballet Summer School, I talk with the parents after the audition to give them some information and answer questions. All students are notified by letter within 2 weeks of auditioning and if they are not accepted, I give them a reason, although not too specific. I hope this helps the MOMS out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:11 am 

Thank you - for the good questions and the helpful answers!<P>Dancersmom, my daughter is 12 also and these upcoming weeks will be her first experience with auditioning too.<P>Mignon's way of running her auditions sounds extremely civilized - but that shouldn't come as a surprise. Image<P>And Basheva always gives good advice! <P>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:27 pm 

BB, please let me know how your daughter's auditions go. I'd love to hear from you as you have a 12 year old going through the same thing. Thanks everyone for all the good advice as always.<p>[This message has been edited by dancersmom (edited January 05, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:37 am 

dancersmom, my daughter audiotioned last winter for the first. At that time she was 12. She was very nervous the first time, that happened to be SAB, but with each audition she realized that the auditions were no more than a class as you've been told. She auditioned for boston's dancelab yesterday and felt that she was strong. She has never not been familiar with any barre work or combinations asked for in an audition..I' m sure that your daughter will be a little scared the first time, but will realize that these auditions are run like a class. Good luck to you, CAS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:29 am 

dancersmom, My daughter auditioned kast winter for the first time, at the time she was 12. She was very nervous, but surprised and comforted that the auditions are really no different than a class.With each audition my daughter cained confidence, and can now with only 4-5 auditions approach them as a class. My advise, take a deep breath, stay focused, and confident in your daughter's ability. Good luck, CAS

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]