public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mystique of 'Swan Lake'
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:05 pm 

Are we seeing too many "Swan Lake" productions, both classical and modern? Does this trend mean anything?

Quote:
Birds not of a feather
Two 'Swan Lakes' mark change in dance scene

Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle

It wasn't planned this way, but Bay Area dance lovers this season have been treated to back-to-back, wildly different versions of "Swan Lake," both new to the region.
<a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/01/PK35242.DTL target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Mystique of 'Swan Lake'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:23 pm 

The more the merrier, IMO.
Wow, wish I could see Baryshnikov's version and also the ABT referred to. Anyone got tapes?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:10 am 

"Swan Lake" is one of those ballets I've seen dozens of times but will always want to see again. It's always different, and it's a strong enough work of art, choreographically and musically, to bear repeating. On the other hand "La Bayadere", in my opinion, seen once is seen enough (except for Act III).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:21 am 

Oops!

<small>[ 12-04-2002, 02:24: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:23 am 

crandc--A 1976 ABT performance of "Swan Lake," staged by the Royal Ballet's David Blair, is available on Bel Canto video number 12678. It stars Natalia Makarova and Ivan Nagy. If the powers that be are benevolent, Kevin McKenzie's current ABT production of the ballet, with its expanded role and beautifully sinister Act III solo for Von Rothbart, will eventually be available on tape and DVD. This is the staging referred to in Roca's SF Chronicle article.

<small>[ 12-04-2002, 02:37: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:03 am 

Oh, dear, Liscarkat, here we must unfortunately agree to disagree. I so very much disliked Kevin McKenzie's Swan Lake that I wouldn't care if it was never done again, much less available to the public on DVD or VHS. However, I have seen many Bayaderes, among the most beautiful of those being those of the Paris Opera, the Kirov, the Universal Ballet's new production by Oleg Vinogradov, and the production for the Boston Ballet, and always enjoy seeing another one well done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:20 pm 

o.k. librarian--I guess I just haven't seen the right "Bayadere" for me yet. I'll keep an open mind. As for the Bolshoi's, I'd rather have seen Act III three times in a row than Acts I and II. I'd buy a DVD (or go to a live performance) of McKenzie's "Swan Lake" right now, if I could. I've never seen a "Swan Lake" that I really disliked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:41 pm 

Well, I've seen several productions on tape and one live, and I still think the only part of La Bayadere worth watching is the Kingdom of the Shades part.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:07 pm 

djb--I tend to agree, but there are so few old full-length ballets for us to see, compared to, say, operas. Just compare the size of the opera video section at Tower Records to their inventory of ballet videos. I hate to write a 19th-century ballet off without giving it a few more chances. I've probably spent about $1,000.00 each seeing Swan Lake and Giselle in my lifetime, and will spend a lot more. But only $70.00 so far to see La Bayadere. There's got to be more there, if it's done right. However, all those girls dancing with stuffed parrots pinned to their shoulders...hmmm. Nah, you're right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:12 pm 

If choreographers must modernize and tweak the classics, why can't they do it with something like La Bayadere? I'd love to see what Matthew Bourne or Mats Ek would do with it!

<small>[ 12-05-2002, 21:13: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:27 pm 

I'd like to see the Monty Python version. During Act I, I halfway expected Graham Chapman's British Army officer to suddenly walk onstage and say "Alright! This is just too silly! You're all under arrest!"

<small>[ 12-05-2002, 21:28: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:36 pm 

But, the topic is Swan Lake! I think part of the mystique is the beautiful contrast between Acts I and III and Acts II and IV. And of course, Tcaikovsky's perfect score. While Acts I and II of Bayadere contrast sharply with Act III and make it appear even more beautiful in its minimalism, the comparison only weakens I and II and makes one long for more shades, less jungle. The music, too, is forgettable, except for the corps entry from Act III. In my opinion.

<small>[ 12-05-2002, 21:57: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>