public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing ...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:36 am 

[sisial moves quietly onto the stage and looks around. The world around him appears as though blanketed in a mist. Images of an audience flicker into existance, only to fade away again. They are only illusion]<P>[He speaks; his own voice deafening him]<P>From the front: "Can someone turn on the mike; we can't hear him".<P>[sisial, realizing that he is not alone, passes out]<BR>*********************<P>OK, let's try this again.<P>Hello. I am sisial (sh'shahl). I am new here. I consider it a great fortune to have encountered this forum. Hopefully I will have something to offer. However, I come mostly to learn.<P>I used to dance ... alot. I am not exceptionally strong. Nor am I exceptionally flexible. However, I have always been able to use most efficiently that strength and flexibility which I do possess. I'm not sure where I stand in terms of balance and coordination. I am gifted with exceptional response time and a deep awareness of my own body. What balance and coordination I do demonstrate tends to be the result of making thousands of minor adjustments every second. Anyhow, I danced. And, in the spirit of total vanity, I danced well.<P>It never bothered me to dance in public, or even on stage. When I dance, all there is is music and motion. All else simply fades away. One day, when I was 14, I was complemented several times on my dance performance. It was then that I first realized that my dancing was not private; that people were actually watching me. I became self conscious. I never danced again. (A similar phenomenon happened two years later with my singing).<P>I had never considered a career in music and dance; and was surprised to look through my records and find that music and dance have always been at the top of every career placement test I have ever taken. However, without active support from those around me, I doubt I could have overcome my biggest obstacle; performance anxiety.<P>I chose to pursue a career in research and writing. However, I have reached a point where I see no more room for growth. Further, my choice of occupation does not bring me into contact with kindred spirits. I am an artist in mind, body, and soul. Yet, I am an outsider in the world of arts.<P>I am a minimalist, and have succeeded in saving enough money to support myself in the pursuit of a career in ... well, I don't know what yet. My choice of occupation did not keep me as active as I would have liked. I should have myself back in shape by fall. I then plan to take classes in modern dance, as well as vocal instruction. Movement and voice seem to be the ideal place to start. I would like to get myself to the point of being able to do decent improvisation in both. Then, perhaps I will explore theater arts.<P>I am significantly older than 24, most people are surprised to learn my real age. I can easily pass as 24, and sometimes as young as 18. Regardless, I have no intent on letting my age stand in my way. I do not want to pursue the arts as a hobby. I need, more than anything, to be around people who are as passionate about what they do as I am. I see a profession in the arts as my only choice.<P>Anyhow, that's about it. I have several questions regrading my choices for training. I suppose the "Students' Questions" forum is the place to take that. I look forward to getting to know you all.<P>Enjoy!<BR>sisial<P>------------------<BR>"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)<p>[This message has been edited by sisial (edited February 22, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Introducing ...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:29 am 

Wow Sisial, that's quite an introduction! Image Welcome to Critical Dance and I look forward to 'seing' you around the site!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:14 am 
Sisial,<BR>Dance,but dont you DARE lose your writing skills-GREAT INTRODUCTION!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:40 am 

And we look forward to getting to know you, Sisial.<P>I made my welcoming greeting to you in the Fun Stuff Forum, but a second greeting never goes awry...so, once again, glad you are here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:21 pm 

Hi Sisial, <P>Welcome aboard! I look forward to learning more about your artistic pursuits in whatever form they take. Best of luck to you! Hope to read more from you soon!<P>Misa :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:36 pm 

Cool Sisial, I think you should dance.<P>Sometimes there are obstacles in dance that seem great, but they can be overcome without dying in the process.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:03 pm 

Sisial ....your quote from Theodore Roosevelt reminded me of another and it took me a couple of days to find it:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.<P>President Calvin Coolidge<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Profile E-mail