public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Casting for 'Por Vos Muero' RB Enduring Images Program
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:59 am 

Has anyone heard anything about the casting for the above ballet by Nacho Duato which the Royal Ballet is going to premier as part of their 'Enduring Images'mixed bill?<BR>There is nothing on the ROH web site yet and considering that opening night is going to be on Monday 04/03/02 I have a hard time believing that no decision has been made yet.<BR>Maybe it is just me but I quite like to have some idea whom I am going to see dancing before I pick up the cast sheet on the night<BR>(last minute changes due to injury are a different matter). <BR>

Post subject: Re: Casting for 'Por Vos Muero' RB Enduring Images Program
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:39 am 

Odile, I have ferreted around, and I can't find information either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:58 am 

I emailed ROH a couple weeks ago but haven't heard from them. I CAN tell you that on the Insight Day Rojo, Stepanek and Maloney were dancing. Since Rojo isn't dancing in any of the other ballets until the last night I think one could assume that is the cast (or part of the cast) for PVM for the first 3 nights. Regardless it's quite beautiful so any cast is probably worth seeing.<P>Anyway there's an Enduring Images rehearsal I'm going to on Saturday so I can probably get a better idea of who's dancing then.<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited February 28, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:32 am 

Still no news on the ROH website. I might try calling the box office later.<BR>While I fully understand that it can be too difficult to announce casting several months in advance (in the booking brochure) I do not think this is acceptable.<P>Do they not realise that dancers below principal level have their fans too? To find out that a dancer of a lower rank is being given a chance at a solo role might easily persuade me to purchase yet another ticket and I do not think I would be the only one.<BR>Last year for example I booked for an additional 'Romeo and Juliet' because I wanted to see certain dancers tackle Mercutio and Benvolio.<BR>Well, this is only possible if we, the audience, are given casting information.<P>I was glad when ROH came up with the special<BR>'Latest casting information' section on their website which has already proven very useful. That is why I am even more annoyed by the lack of any offial info for 'Por Vos Muero'. Sorry for ranting on like this but as I had mentioned in another threat this lack of consideration for the paying customers is something I feel very strongly about. What is next? " Please book your tickets several months in advance. We will tell you who is dancing before the curtain goes up."?<P>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:54 pm 

Yes, good point. It this something that has arisen in the last year, or was the ROH always shy about giving full casting details in advance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:23 am 

I believe the casting for Monday is the same as the rehearsal yesterday.<P>Ladies were Samantha Raine, Laura Morera, Marianela Nunez, Leire Ortueta, Tamara Rojo and Zenaida Yanowsky.<P>Gents were Ricardo Cervera, Jonathan Cope, Johan Kobborg, Brian Maloney, Johannes Stepanek and Thomas Whitehead.<P>A very enjoyable piece!<p>[This message has been edited by Shirley (edited March 03, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:32 am 

I agree Shirley, I thought it was beautiful!<P>BTW about casting, keep emailing the Royal Ballet. They've been wonderful at times, replying personally or putting answers to specific casting questions on the website within the day. And at others they ignore me completely (perhaps they're getting sick of my emails!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:02 am 

Thanks Shirley and Sylvia. I guess in the future I am going to try my luck e-mailing them, but I still think it is a shame that ballet fans have to go after them for information.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:43 am 

Thanks for the information. I will be there on Monday. A great way to spend a MOnday evening. I have high hopes for this programme ( not so impressed with the "Memories" triple bill).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:58 am 

This is a flip comment in the Evening Standard on an interesting phenomenen - so many Spaniards in the Royal Ballet. I'm more than happy, being a Spanish speaker!<P><BR><B>Dancers put Olé into Royal Ballet</B><BR>by Robin Stringer<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Covent Garden audiences may detect an exceptional degree of authenticity in the latest Spanish addition to the Royal Ballet repertoire when it premieres tonight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/hottx/review.html?in_review_id=512892&in_review_text_id=476543" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:18 am 

Some changes to the cast according to the RB website. I've put the changes in italics.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.royalballet.org/ballet/index.cfm?ccs=173&cs=358" TARGET=_blank>http://www.royalballet.org/ballet/index.cfm?ccs=173&cs=358</A> <P><B>18 Mar <BR>In The Middle, Somewhat Elevated </B><BR>Bussell, Yanowsky, Bolle, Kobborg, Corella. <BR><B>Remanso</B> <BR>Bolle, Cope, Watson. <BR><B>The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude</B> <BR><I>Yanowsky</I>, Benjamin, Yoshida, Maloney, Watson. <BR><B>Por Vos Muero</B> <BR>Artists of The Royal Ballet <P><B>20 March <BR>In The Middle, Somewhat Elevated</B> <BR>Nunez, Ortueta, <I>Coppen, Harvey</I>, Stiefel. <BR><B>Remanso</B> <BR>Whitehead, Cervera, Stepanek. <BR><B>The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude</B> <BR>Davies, Tattersall, <I>Oughtred, Meisner,</I> Putrov. <BR><B>Por Vos Muero</B> <BR>Artists of The Royal Ballet<P>Still no word on who's doing Por Vos Muero on these 2 nights but since it's such a large cast and the amount of dancing is more or less balanced I assume it'll be the same as before?<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited March 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:02 am 

Many thanks for this Sylvia. The casting on 20th March provides a chance to see many of the younger dancers in prominent roles. Nunez in 'In the middle...' could be spectacular, as the Insight Day rehearsal suggested.<P>Although I'm not keen on 'Vertiginous', i will be interested to see how the fleet of foot Jenny Tattersall tackles it.<P>I was disappointed that there were no concessionary stand-bys on sale for the first night of this programme despite there being 300 unsold seats at 3.30pm when the decision was made not to make them available.<P>If there are none on sale on 20th March when there is not the drawing power of Bussell, Cope etc then we will know that this is a moribund scheme.<P> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited March 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:08 am 

So, "Artists of the Royal Ballet" are going to dance Por Vos Muero. What a surprise. I would never have guessed.<P>Anyway one of my main reasons for being so curious about casting is that I have noticed that a few First Soloists and Soloists have not had ANY featured solo so far this season.<BR>I am starting to worry that they might be on their way out for one reason or another.<P>Is anyone going on the 20/03/02 who would be willing to post the full cast for "In the Middle..." and "Por Vos Muero" afterwards?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:22 am 

I'll be there on the 20th OdileGB so I'll be happy to do so.<P>The last few months have made it quite obvious who Stretton's favourites are so it's rather nice to see some of the other dancers get a chance for once. I share your concern that some soloists like Yohei Sasaki (who's actually the ONLY male first soloist) don't seem to be getting any roles at all.<P>Availability is still very good for the 20th all over the house - even some standing seats which are usually the first to go for mixed bills.<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited March 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:41 am 

Revised casting for the Enduring Images mixed bill. I've put the newest changes in italics.<P><B>18 Mar <BR>In The Middle, Somewhat Elevated</B> <BR>Bussell, Yanowsky, Bolle, Kobborg, Corella. <BR><B>Remanso</B> <BR>Bolle, Cope, Watson. <BR><B>The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude</B> <BR><I>Cojocaru</I>, Benjamin, Yoshida, Maloney, Watson. <BR><B>Por Vos Muero</B> <BR>Artists of The Royal Ballet <P><B>20 March <BR>In The Middle, Somewhat Elevated</B> <BR>Nunez, Ortueta, Coppen, Harvey, Stiefel. <BR><B>Remanso</B> <BR>Whitehead, Cervera, Stepanek. <BR><B>The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude</B> <BR><I>Yanowsky</I>, Tattersall, Oughtred, Meisner, Putrov. <BR><B>Por Vos Muero</B> <BR>Artists of The Royal Ballet<P>A little baffling why they took out Cojocaru for 'Vertiginous' and have put her back again. I wonder why Yanowsky has been pushed back. Perhaps because she's cast for 'In the middle' and maybe 'Por Vos Muero' on the 18th and not the 20th and to do all those ballets would be too much (though that hasn't stopped whoever's casting these to have Watson do both 'Remanso' and 'Vertignious' with less than a 5 minute costume change in between.)<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited March 15, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next