public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: "Kirov"/Unification Church/The 'Moonies'/etc!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 9:51 pm 

sigh...<BR>I know after a while people are going to think I am intentionally being a thorn in their side. That's not entirely the case, though I do love a good, well thought argument/debate.<P>Pardon me while I flash my business degree, but the purchase of a respected name occurs all the time here in the States. It's called franchising. You want to start a restaurant and want to have a reasonable chance to succeed so you purchase the right to call your establishment Taco Bell(tm). There is nothing inherently insidious about it.<P>The Unifactionists (Unificationists?) now own a dance school? And?... Christian churches own television stations and radio companies. And what exactly is the purpose behind the Christian Science Monitor? And come to think of it, DARN those Mormons and their Tabernacle Choir--the beautiful music is just so provocative. Many of the great Western works of classical music were commissioned by the Pope of the Catholic church. Sorry folks, but as much as there is this nice stale idea about the separation of Church and State, Religon and Art are most intimately entwined. I cannot help that this particular sect is not to your liking.<P>Now, as to the question about "sponsoring" the position of the Unification Church by attending a performance, that is a personal decision. But it seems to me that you could attend the performance and still separate the possible political implications from the enjoyment of the show. Buying a ticket does not automtically assign your right to say, "Sorry, not interested in your rhetoric."<P>Last point... Mind control is a very tricky and subjective line to walk. The military practices mind control, it is the entire purpose of basic training--to create a person who can be commanded to do some of the most unsavory tasks. Primary education (K-12) is equal parts learning and mind control--teaching children to be better members of society. Each and every argument, and here's the kicker, including the one you are reading now, is a form of mind control. I am trying to get you understand my perspective, and possibly accept it.<P>All of this is a slippery slope. Perhaps the reverend does intend to dominate the world, and maybe dance schools are a significant part of his plan. It's not the path I would choose, but then again it is just so innocuous that it could just work. Being overrun by ballerinas can't be the worst fate, can it?<P>Sorry, I know religon in its varied forms causes emotions to run high. I am just not quite getting the sense of impending doom that everyone else seems to be picking up.<P>Hmm... could someone please point me to a topic where I can comfortably be in the majority? It'd be a nice change.<P>Bob/"Red"<P>------------------<BR>"Learn from the Past.<BR> Prepare for the Future.<BR> Act in the Present."<BR> -the Rogue Wolf<p>[This message has been edited by Rogue Wolf (edited October 03, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 10:46 pm 

Though I'm way too tired to go into much tonight, I WILL say I'm glad to have seen your words around here, Bob/"Red".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:03 am 

good post wolf!<P>for me, the whole idea of ANYONE buying the kirov name was just tacky.....<P>and i imagine that the reason some people found the school particularly worrying is because it is a residential school, which parents can be anxious about the effect of, on their offspring anyway, without factoring in any religions they do not understand...<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2