public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Would you like to dance?"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:31 pm 

<B>It takes 215 to tango at the Opera House</B> <BR> <BR>BY RUTH GLEDHILL in The Times<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>UPSTAIRS, the Kirov Ballet were rehearsing Balanchine’s Symphony in C. Above them, next season’s Don Quixotes were practising pirouettes and jetés under the eyes of Ross Stretton, new director of the Royal Ballet, while below a children’s performance of Rossini’s La Cenerentola in English was under way. Later the crowds would start to appear for the Kirov production of Swan Lake. <P>But this was the middle of the afternoon, and the grandeur and elegance of E.M. Barry’s Floral Hall at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden was alive instead with the sounds of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and Ivor Novello waltzes as British gents took their partners on to the floor for Begin the Beguine, the Harry Lime Cha-Cha and the Blue Tango.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001222834,01.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P>What a great idea. If you are in the Covent Garden area during the day and wnt a cup of coffee it's always worth checking to see if the Floral Hall cafe is open. I went there the other day and there were half a dozen people in probably the most beautiful space in Central London. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Would you like to dance?"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 10:07 am 

What a wonderful idea. I have always thought that the space would be wonderful as a tango salon and now I see that potential is being realised. Tomorrow I will be in the Clore studio with teachers of tango, salsa and other Latin dances teaching invited students. That is through the Artists' Development Initiative in association with JazzXchange. Once again an excellent use of space that would not otherwise be used. The students are "ordinary" people wishing to learn to dance - not professional dancers.<P>I will certainly be taking an afternoon off work to go to one of the tea dances in the Floral Hall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 10:31 am 

Emma, you must save a dance for me if I do make it out to London in the summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 10:19 am 

Azlan, I have marked you on my dance card.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 11:28 am 

Emma - dance card? that is so Victorian....LOL<P>Here I thought Stuart was asking me to dance - oh well. (heavy sigh)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 11:31 am 

Oh, yes, the dance card. There were a couple threads here on that:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum2/HTML/000072.html target=_blank><B>Fun Dance Cards for FREE!</B></a><P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum11/HTML/000090.html target=_blank><B>antique dance cards</B></a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 4:39 am 

The return of dance cards would be so much more efficient. Poor male tango dancers are constantly trying to attract the attention of the ladies in true Buenos Aires style - catching her eye and waiting for the acceptance nod. It is very distracting for a gal gossiping with her friends. The dance card would ensure regularity and efficiency. I would insist on the use of pencil however, so that unwelcome bids could be erased.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 7:19 am 

You crack me up, Emma. What about white-out, in case they use ink anyway?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 8:55 am 

The risk of getting white-out on your favourtie sequinned dress with the gold lame trim, slashed to your waist, is just not worth taking. Better to dance with the guy I would say, than ruin a perfectly stylish tango dress...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 10:43 am 

I see. How about having multiple cards? Like playing poker with a card up your sleeve? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:50 pm 

Heck with the flirting nod and wink....just send her an e-mail:<P>"How about a twirl around the dance floor, babe?"<P>then....she could just delete him...<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:23 am 

Dance to the music of time
By Valerie Grove
Tea dances are back at the Opera House. The author struts her stuff in style

Quote:
TO WHIRL AROUND a dancefloor on a bright cloud of music is much more fun than what passes for dancing today. But millions of people now in their 50s never got the chance to try it: when they were teenagers, bopping came in, and never went away. They’ve never enjoyed the kind of heady waltz engaged in by Emma and the Viscount in Madame Bovary.
more...

See what you're all missing! Mind you, the journalist says that the tea dances are back - they have been back a couple of years now. That's journalists for you - things are 'new' when THEY think they are new.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]