public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: You cannot be serious! Pole dancing et al (fitness trai
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:54 pm 

But apparently they are....

Fitness fans turn to pole dancing

Brace yourself girls. Pole dancing is apparently the latest fitness craze.

by Laura Smith in The Evening Standard

Quote:
At one health club in Soho, demand for classes in “exotic dancing” has so out-stripped supply it looks set to become the new aerobics.

Given a daytime slot when the club opened in May, the class will soon move to a sought-after late evening slot and poles — albeit retractable ones — put in the main studio.

All this leaves class teacher Helen Jackson, 25, who also works as a showgirl at Raymond’s Review Bar in Soho danced off her sparkly perspex heels.
more...

<small>[ 24 February 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: You cannot be serious! Pole dancing et al (fitness trai
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:04 pm 

But in this case no they're not (I think). There is a section on dancing further down in case you were wondering.<P><B>In a class of Its own</B><P>by Anna Pursglove in The Evening Standard<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In their early days, It Girls were born, not made. <P>But their shelf lives are now so short that demand is in danger of outstripping supply. No sooner has Lady Victoria Hervey popped up to tell us how marvellous she is than - hey, presto! - she's embroiled in a full-scale battle with her favourite designer and her business is going down the lav. But who cares? Surely there'll be another one along in a minute.<P>It's no surprise, then, that London's first It Academy has opened for business. Situated in - where else? - West London, and dedicated to the production of Tatler fodder, the school is already producing impressive results. Take Jodie and Laina Hunting (21 and 19).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/lifestyle/londonlife/top_review.html?in_review_id=454927&in_review_text_id=405994" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:09 pm 

Yes, as you will see from the cardio-Striptease thread in Fun Stuff this seems to be another craze that has come from the US - Thanks Guys!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 10:33 pm 

If I were to take up lap dancing I fear we would need a very robust pole... Image. And I wouldn't want to frighten the cats anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:49 am 

<B>How to do a pelvic ripple</B><BR>Pole dancing is the latest craze and even Sadie Frost is at it. Now one club is offering lessons. Laura Barton in The Guardian (reluctantly) gives it a go: <P><BR>'And wiggle your hips,' says Tyler. I look at Tyler, 7ft tall in her high heeled shoes, I look at the assembled rabble of PR pedlars, bar staff and lapdancers, and I look at Sarah, the photographer, who is shaking with laughter behind her camera. It is around this time that I decide that no, I do not wish to writhe around a pole, tossing my hair like a little pony, and slithering about as though I have ants in my pants. <P>We are in For Your Eyes Only (FYEO), the tableside dancing emporium in Mayfair in central London. I am having a lesson in pole and tableside dancing. <P><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=010926007695&query=ballet" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 9:14 am 

Do we think there is a need for some one to reserach this new dance phenomenen. Perhaps Stuart and I should become reportage journalists for an evening. What do we think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:13 pm 

Had enough of pole dancing? Why not try Pilates.<P><BR><B>DO I HAVE TO?</B> <BR>BY ARABELLA WEIR in The Guardian <P><BR>As promised, I have, this very morning, duly begun researching the varying get-fit methods on offer. Have you ever tried doing a spot of ballet lying on your back? If not, perhaps you've gone for the the odd midair plie while waiting for your nails to dry? No? There's no particular reason why you would necessarily have attempted prone dance, unless of course you've been to a Pilates class. Which is where I've been. <P><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=011006003793&query=ballet" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:28 am 

Critical Dance is an inclusive site that considers all forms of dance:<P><B>City acts to bring its lap-dancing clubs into line </B><BR>The Independent - United Kingdom; Feb 23, 2002<BR>BY IAN HERBERT<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>THE COMMERCIAL ingenuity of Spearmint Rhino, a chain of lap-dancing clubs, has stretched to the provision of 6pm shuttles from City establishments "so that workers can travel in great style".<P>But the professional classes of England's second city, Birmingham, were expecting fewer delights yesterday after municipal leaders decided it was time to become puritanical about the burgeoning success of what might be described as the Broad Street strip.<P>Fearing the sleazy image associated with 11 lap-dancing joints (with a 12th on the way) would damage Birmingham's chances of becoming the European Capital of Culture in 2008, the council gave notice of its intention to bring two-minute, pounds 20 intimacies to an end by banning lap and table- dancing under the terms of its new entertainment licences.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=020223001425&query=dance" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:21 am 

Who needs the gym?
Fed up with steep membership fees and monotonous step classes, women are turning to more exotic ways to keep fit. Anushka Asthana and Tom Reilly report for The Observer

Angela Gates works for an architect's firm in Hammersmith, west London. Like most of her peers she wants to keep fit, but she is bored with step aerobics and feeling lonely in the gym and has spent years paying for health club membership she has hardly used. However, the 28-year-old has now found a less conventional way of maintaining a high level of fitness.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]