public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Johan Persson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:40 pm 

When was the last time Johan Persson danced with the Royal Ballet ? If I'm correct I think he missed the entire last season. What kind of dancer is he ? I never had the chance to see him on stage. Other question : does anybody know if the principals of the Royal have yearly contracts ? Thank you for your answers.

<small>[ 11 March 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: marc29 ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Johan Persson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:09 pm 

Nobody knows anything about Mr Persson ? :confused:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:49 pm 

As far as I can remember the last time Johann Persson danced with the RB was at the beginning of last year. In one of the last performances of the 'Onegin' run he was replaced as Lenski due to injury and he has been off injured ever since.
Lenski was actually the first role he really impressed me in (I had seen him in one of the 'Onegin' performances in November). I had seen him a few times before that in 'Triad', 'Giselle' and 'La Fille mal gardee' but for some reason the one thing I most associated with his name was his big, bright smile (it really lightnes up a room!). I would really like to see him in a variety of roles and hope that he will recover soon. Considering that he has not been cast in anything until the end of this season I guess his injury must be really, really serious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:48 pm 

I feel very sorry for Johan Persson. I didn't see very much of him before his injury, but I think it is fair to say that he did not set the ROH alight with his performances. However, I know that he was highly regarded in Toronto, so perhaps he just needed more time to acclimatise to the RB rep and style.

Hope we see him back soon and on great form.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:00 am 

I'm fairly certain he did Beyond Bach early in the year as well when the Memories Mixed Bill overlapped with Onegin - I remember this was the performance where there were dancers replacing dancers replacing dancers and in the end Johan did the solos while Ricardo Cervera did the partnering with Darcey Bussell. This was the one where the 'Air' pdd got cut - pretty disasterous evening! I think he is photographing the Opera House backstage and he was at the Manon Insight Day masterclass snapping Jaimie Tapper and David Makhateli.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:51 am 

Sylvia, just to be clear, when you say early in the year, I think you mean the 2001-2 season. Is that right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:20 pm 

Yes, sorry for not being clear Stuart. Beyond Bach was performed in January 2001. Can't quite believe it's been that long.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:04 pm 

Thank you for your answers. Sylvia I think it was january 2002 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:00 am 

Yes, you're right marc29. Here is the link to our coverage of that triple bill.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]