public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Artsworld closure averted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:09 pm 

Article from The Guardian.

Quote:
Artsworld, the digital television channel which hoped to carve a niche broadcasting live performances of opera, jazz and ballet, is about to close after just 18 months on air.

An announcement could be imminent that the channel created by Sir Jeremy Isaacs, formerly general manager of the Royal Opera House and head of Channel 4, will cease broadcasting at the end of July. Executives are likely to blame competition from the BBC4 which began broadcasting less than a year ago.

MORE

<small>[ 29 August 2003, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Artsworld closure averted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:31 pm 

Article from The Times.<P><A HREF="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-352698,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:44 am 

<B>Artsworld, the digital TV channel is to close</B><BR>from londondance.com<P><BR>Artsworld, the digital arts and music channel backed by Sir Jeremy Isaacs, is to cease broadcasting on 31 July. Its parent company Artsworld Channels Ltd is likely to be wound up later this year. It had attracted some 100,000 subscribers, but faced with competition from the new BBC4 arts channel, shareholders were unable to raise the extra £4 million needed to continue.<P>The company has issued the following statement:<BR>"Artsworld has not been able to secure the further funding necessary to continue operating. By closing the channel now, the company is in a position to honour its obligations to creditors and staff. However, it remains possible that a purchaser or new investor may come forward.<P><A HREF="http://www.londondance.com/Content.asp?Level=2&SubSection=175" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:39 am 

<B>The wheel has come full circle</B><BR>Here we are again, yet another stab at an arts renaissance on TV. <BR>by Richard Morrison for The Times<BR> <BR> <BR>Apparently we arts lovers are not to worry unduly about yesterday’s news of the demise of Artsworld, the high-culture subscription TV channel. Why not? Well, once again — if we are to believe the BBC and independent TV companies — we are “on the verge of an arts renaissance” on terrestrial telly. <P>Oh really? Pardon me for not exuding more joy, but haven’t we been here before? In fact, aren’t we halfway through a perennial media pas de deux, the steps of which are as unchanging as any Senegalese courtship ritual? <P><A HREF="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,585-353267,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:19 am 

I've never seen Artsworld, but what do its subscribers think about the loss? Any comments will be welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:18 am 

Artsworld showed a lot of intresting dance programmes , not only ballet but modern as well..also showed many music programmes...i'll miss it. At the moment i don't like BBC4..maybe it'll grow on me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:28 am 

I can understand your view sugar plum. I've looked at the schedules and Artsworld comes out very well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:08 am 

It is a great shame that it is going, but the reality, I suppose, is that people who are interested in the Arts are more likely to go to them physically than watch them on TV. In other words, part of the enjoyment of the Arts is that you see it live. People that I know who go to the cinema regularly do not go to the theatre so often - you only have so much time and so many resources. And if this wasn't the case, there would have been a much bigger audience, don't you think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:12 am 

I take your point Emma, but remember that life for a dance lover living in London is very different from one living in Sheffield. For the latter TV/video/DVD are crucial tools for seeing dance, whereas you and I can see dance twice a week every week.<P>The point for me now is how we can persuade the BBC to improve its poor performance in this area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:12 pm 

I think it is very difficult to persuade the BBC when a channel that has shown a lot of dance is closing. What incentive does it give them to become more like that channel? That sounds harsh but I think both you and Emma have valid points.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:50 am 

Because the bottom line is that Sheffield is big and clearly, judging by the numbers of viewers of Artsworld, not watching the TV.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:42 am 

Can't someone do a takeover of Artsworld and keep it going?maybe we should all pool together..what do you think??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:45 am 

You make a good point Sugar Plum. They were well on the way to get their break-even number of subscribers, but their backers seem to have lost confidence in the economic shenanigans that are going on at the moment plus the competition from BBC4. I suspect that there is a niche for an alternative to BBC4, but it will require someone with deep pockets who wants an Arts channel for the long term to come in and rescue Artsworld.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:12 pm 

I am probably moving to UK this autumn. It was a shock that Artsworld will close in the end of this month as I had planned to be its subscriber just a few days ago after seeing some attractive balllet performance listings on the BBS. Now could you please recommend other tv channels on ballet / classical music which is worth subscribing in UK?<BR>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:19 pm 

As a first step why not look through the links to the TV listings that the splendid Pete posts each week. This will give you an idea of the other options, but there is no disguising the fact that the closure of Artsworld will leave a big gap. <P><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000362.html" TARGET=_blank><B>TV listings link</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 25, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next