public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Einstein and dance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:30 am 

A dance to the music of spacetime
David Adam, science correspondent
Monday September 1, 2003
The Guardian

Quote:
With lateral thinking worthy of the great man himself, British scientists have hit upon a new way of explaining the intricacies of Einstein's theory of relativity: dancing.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Einstein and dance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:13 pm 

What an exciting idea!!! This article is right up my alley! I'm currently researching mathdance, a way to present mathematic principles/theory through movement. For those of you interested in Einstein and dance, you might also find www.mathdance.org a great resource . Karl Schaffer, Erik Stern, and Scott Kim founded mathdance and they are now performing as an ensemble (they will even be at the Kennedy Center this year!).

When I was a junior high/high school student, math and physical science were always my least favorite subjects. To be honest, I dreaded those classes. Now I realize that the subjects themselves are fascinating but the way in which they were presented was all wrong for a visual/kinesthetic oriented learner like myself.
How many of us out there would've learned more and enjoyed ourselves had we learned math or science through experiential activities or performances?

I hope to hear more about the Einstein project in the future, and I also hope that people are beginning to appreciate the relationship that the arts and sciences (and math) can have! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Einstein and dance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:06 pm 

I think as I grow older and become more curious and interested in questions of mortality and what comes next, I find physics and science increasingly interesting for what it can explain and for what it can't explain.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]