public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Joaquin Cortes in the UK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:37 pm 

He's back! Anybody can give me a view on his shows?

Lord of the dance

BY RUPERT MELLOR
The Times

Quote:
Critics can’t stand him, but his love of self-promotion and superb natural ability have made Joaquín Cortés one of dance’s hottest stars

Comparisons with another famous JC, says Joaquín Cortés, don’t bother him. Asked if the promotional imagery for his breakthrough show Gypsy Passion a shirtless Cortés, arms flung wide, long black hair matted to his face was intentionally Christ-like, he replied: That’s just me. It’s just the way I am. Armed with a skin-tight, black Armani wardrobe, formidable technical skill and an ego to match, Cortés burst on to the world stage in 1995 in an explosion of Messianic zeal. A child prodigy, first in flamenco and then at the Spanish National Ballet, the young Cortés styled himself as the saviour of gypsy culture.
more...

Joaquin Cortes
The Independent

BY PETER CONCHIE

Quote:
What is it about Spanish men? While British blokes with long hair and beards give the impression that Cat Weasel's joined Status Quo, their Mediterranean counterparts are transformed into Joaquin Cortes.
more...

<small>[ 20 January 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Joaquin Cortes in the UK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:06 pm 

I have only seen a show that he helped to choreograph and that was one of my worst for 2000-2001. Here is a link to our thread on <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000030.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Cortez in 'World dance...'</B></A>.<P>Particularly relevant is the review by Donald Hutera, probably the only angry piece I have read by him. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 06, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:04 am 

One from the 'Gawd 'elp us' Department: <P><B>Hot Flamenco Star Joaquin Cortez</B><BR>From Hello magazine<P>“Live is the most intimate show I’ve done so far,” continues Joaquin, who burst onto the international dance and music scene in 1996 with his show Gypsy Passion. “I’m alone on stage for two hours, totally stripped down as an artist.”<P><A HREF="http://www.hellomagazine.com/2002/01/04/0696joaquin/" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P>The video footage they mention looks like the photo shoot rather than JC strutting his stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:20 am 

Stuart - do we think that Hello should go the list for papers to check on a regular basis as we seem to get a high percentage of material from it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:53 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>for two hours, totally stripped down as an artist<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>cheap at half the price of the tickets, then

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:23 am 

I understand what you mean Joanne. Do you think that 'Hello!' is remoulding itself as an academic dance journal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:50 am 

I'm with Keith Watson on this ego-tripper:<P> Image <BR><small>Olé: Joaquín Cortés's glistening torso has seduced millions</small><P><B>Joaquín gets in a flamenco frenzy</B><BR>by Keith Watson in The Evening Standard<P><BR>The Royal Albert Hall should be just about big enough to hold the dancing ego that is Joaquín Cortés, the flamenco sensation who is gracing London with his new solo show, Joaquín Cortés Live. Quite a modest title that, really: he could have called it JC Walks On Water. Does that sound bitchy? Probably. <P>Cortés is one of those performers who splits you right down the middle: millions have been seduced by his glistening muscular torso, skintight trousers (by Armani these days) and a defiantly narcissistic dance style that shrieks: 'Look At Me' with every self-assured step.<P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/theatre/dance_review.html?in_review_id=487484&in_review_text_id=445367" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:06 am 

I think Dance Europe should be seriously worried Stuart.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 9:18 am 

I think you're all just jealous of his shiny chest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 10:09 am 

Jealous, moi? I would have turned Naomi Campbell down flat! The fact that he can pull rich, beautiful women means nothing to me.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 14, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:35 am 

Review in The Times. He sounds like a delight!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>“LIVE like you’ll die tomorrow, work like you don’t need the money, and dance like nobody’s watching.” These words, attributed to American choreographer Bob Fosse, would serve flamenco superstar Joaquín Cortés well. <BR>I’m not saying Cortés ought not to bask in audience adulation, if that’s what gives him a charge. Nor am I claiming he’s a case of the Emperor’s New Clothes. (Cortés’s costumes, not incidentally, are provided by Armani.) But — and mine may be a minority opinion — I believe his range is as limited as his ego is large. <P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2002020999,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:25 am 

Despite the opening paragraph, Judith Mackrell takes a more benign view than Donald Hutera in The Times.<P><B>Joaquin Cortes</B><BR>By Judith Mackrell in The Guardian<BR>(3* out of 5)<BR> <P>As always, the hype promoting Joaquin Cortes's latest show has centred on the tributes of his high profile admirers, as if talent were a club that can be joined through celebrity endorsement. But even if Emma Thompson has allegedly knelt before Spain's most famous dancer, and even if Bertolucci has dedicated a poem to him, the fact remains that Cortes' performances are made exceptional through ego and packaging rather than through genius. <P><A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/reviews/story/0,3604,632403,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:23 am 

Oh, bless! A number of people I know have gone along and enjoyed it, you know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:41 am 

Well he sure ain't everyone's cup of tea<P><B>Go wild for Joaquin</B><BR>From cBirmingham (I think I see the odd hint of a press release in the background)<P> <BR>Joaquín Cortés will be bringing some of his Spanish style to the NIA Academy when his show arrives on 6 October. The internationally celebrated dancer has a rich and flamboyant career history, and the show promises to be a stunning feast of music and dance.<P>Since appearing at the Royal Albert Hall in January with Live, his first solo show in ten years, Cortés has toured incessantly around Northern Europe and Latin America, as well as month-long residences in the Spanish cities of Madrid and Barcelona.<P>Cortés’ performances in Spain, the country where he first started his dance studies, have earned him acclamation never before awarded by a Spanish audience or by Spanish dance critics.<P><A HREF="http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0800whatson/0300stage/page.cfm?objectid=11892723&method=full" TARGET=_blank>[/b]</A><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 15, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:58 am 

<B>Joaquín Cortés</B> <BR>Joaquín Cortés will be bringing some of his Spanish style to the NIA Academy when his show arrives on 6 October 2002.<BR>from icBirmingham <P><BR>The internationally celebrated dancer has a rich and flamboyant career history, and the show promises to be a stunning feast of music and dance.<P>Since appearing at the Royal Albert Hall in January with Live, his first solo show in ten years, Cortés has toured incessantly around Northern Europe and Latin America, as well as month-long residences in the Spanish cities of Madrid and Barcelona.<P>Cortés' performances in Spain, the country where he first started his dance studies, have earned him acclamation never before awarded by a Spanish audience or by Spanish dance critics.<P><A HREF="http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0800whatson/0300stage/page.cfm?objectid=11892723&method=full" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next