public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tamara Rojo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:51 pm 

I have a few picutures and have read a few interviews, but could someone describe Tamara Rojo as a dancer for me?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tamara Rojo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:18 am 

Interviews

Romeo and Juliet Review

I've put a few links up, Matthew, about Tamara - interviews and a review of her latest performance in Romeo and Juliet. Tamara is a passionate dancer - not overly-dramatic - just right. She performs character roles extremely well and is a beautiful Juliet - passionate and naive girl into a woman in love, done to perfection. She is prone to nerves and i have seen some patchy performances. Former Artistic Director of the Royal Ballet once used her for all opening nights and the pressure began to show. But since then, her performances have been predictably good. She is a romantic dancer and you believe in her which is why I prefer her to Alina Cojocaru who is just a little too naive for me. I always feel with Alina that she will be wonderful - ie she is technically good now, but she doesn't "move" me in the same way as Tamara.

In neo-classical and modern roles, Tamara is feisty and zappy, if you can imagine what I mean. Alina is more long-legged elegant, but Tamara's performances are raw and touch you in the heart. One of the best performances I saw was her Carmen in Mats Ek's production. I think what I wrote then, sums it up nicely:

Quote:
“Carmen” is a wonderful piece of drama. Critics have broken down and denigrated the individual movements while celebrating individual performances. This is a mistake. The piece has to be considered as a whole. Mats Ek really has produced something lasting and highly watchable. (I do not think this about all of his work, that’s for sure.) Tamara Rojo is a wonderful Carmen for more reasons than being Spanish. My Spanish companions thought she out-acted Sylvie Guillem by acting less and just ‘being’ Carmen. It amused me no end to see the angelic Rojo turned into a seductive and wanton figure rummaging under her blood red skirts to produce an already smoking cigar which is then placed into pursed lips. The Spaniards went wild about the piece and they are quite good judges of the incarnations of their national heroine/anti-heroine
My Spanish friends adore her because of that passionate and fiery Spanishness. You really should come to London and see her dance.

And just in summary, I have a wonderful photograph of her where she is slumped on the floor during a rehearsal for Swan Lake. She is extremely photogenic - largely for this quality of hers that she is delicate and emotional and needs protecting. A true ballerina, I would say.

Does that tell you all you need to know??

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]