public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult Ballet Student
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:06 am 

My topic may bore you professional dancers. I've been logging on to this very informative website since last year. I took both jazz and ballet in my late teens for about three years, and I've resumed both early this year, taking three one-hour ballet classes a week plus one one-hour class of jazz. I'm now 40 and have two children. I'm 5"5" and weigh 110 lbs., ideally I would like to weigh 105. I don't aspire to be a professional dancer, not in this life at least, but I take lessons just for the sheer joy of it, even if I don't really look that great. I wonder if there's any hope for improving my turnout considering my age? My first position is about 160 degrees, and my fifth position is worse-- there's about a 45-degree angle between my front and back foot. My turnout and flexibility were much better, of course, when I was younger. I really enjoy reading all the tips on this site.<P>[This message has been edited by Cookies (edited February 18, 2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by Cookies (edited February 18, 2002).]

Post subject: Re: Adult Ballet Student
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:53 pm 

Welcome to the Board Cookies...I hope you will join us with your questions in the Students' Questions Forum. And, participate in the others forums, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:27 pm 

Physical training, such as ballet, can be beneficial at ANY age. There is ALWAYS a possibility to improve strength, flexibility and control. Physical Therapists have found significant improvements in strength, flexibility and endurance in nursing home patients when they tried certain exercises.<P>If the turnout you describe in your first and fifth position is truly coming from your hips, then you have above-average turnout. Many professional dancers make do with a lot less. For me, every degree after 90 has been a struggle.<P>Also, body mechanics dictate that first position turnout is be greater than fifth position turnout, in all cases I've seen. I'm not sure why this is so, but it seems to be true. I wouldn't worry about it.<P>Your question would probably get more response in the "Student's Questions" forum. I'm not able to move it, but maybe someone else will.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:56 am 

Thank you very much for your responses and encouragement. I will keep working on it. Sorry to post my question in the wrong place. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:27 pm 

Cookies, I'd like to offer my belated welcome! I'm glad you decided to post!<P>I think your post is fine here, considering you've just introduced yourself. Feel free to post further technique questions in the studio forum too, you'll get some excellent advice there!<P>We look forward to hearing more from you in the future! Once again, welcome! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:25 am 
Welcome Cookies--keep us up w/ your progress!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:54 am 
And check out the ADULT BALLET thread in the Studio section!!!