public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting into arts management
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 3:56 pm 

Having enjoyed a sucessful career in management in film production, I am beginning to explore a transition into arts management. I have come to a point where moving up means personal sacrifices I am not willing to make, so it appears a change in career direction is in order.<P>I recently discovered dance and would like to find some way to work in performing arts management.<P>Being new, I have no idea what type of work is availble in this area. I'm curious to hear what types of jobs are out there, either managing a company, a theater, being an agent -- I'd like to know about them all. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Getting into arts management
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:04 pm 

The easiest way to find out what's available is to subscribe to <I>ArtSEARCH</I>, the job search magazine published by <A HREF="http://www.tcg.org" TARGET=_blank>Theatre Communications Group</A>.<P><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited March 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:05 am 

Hi '2 left feet' and welcome to criticaldance! Hope you enjoy yor time here.<P>Here is the link to the Job section of the UK arts management magazine, for a perspective from this side of the pond. In general, the pay levels for most dance administrators over here is amazingly low. <P> <A HREF="http://www.arts-business.co.uk/jobs.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.arts-business.co.uk/jobs.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 9:33 am 

Same in Canada, the money hasn't been great hence the Canada Council initiating the "Flying Squad" program to try and train more people in arts admin in the dance section, see this CD thread: <A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum15/HTML/000015.html>Canada Council</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 10:50 am 

Thanks for the links. I'll spend some time reviewing the information. I'm in no hurry to make this move, thankfully. I imagined the pay level would be less than my current income level, so that comes as no surprise. There comes a point in life where it's about the quality of the work and not the size of the pay check. Not that big checks can't be proper motivation....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:24 am 

Good luck, 2 left feet.<P>I made the move from manufacturing (I'm an accountant - a Controller) into arts management almost three years ago. I was quite surprised at how easy the move was, at least in accounting. It actually helped that I had this abiding interest in ballet, differentiating me from other candidates, but the related experience you already have will certainly give you a leg up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:43 am 

One other thing - don't forget to explore Arts Facilities. My general impression is that they pay a little better than the companies themselves (especially the small ones!) and you are still "working in the arts."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:50 am 

I know of someone else who went from an accounting background into arts management. Accounting is an area that really lends itself well to this field. <BR>I think you're right Bill, venues are often more stable than companies since most admin. people that I know work p/t for various groups/artists--who would love to hire them full time but just don't have the resources.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:51 am 

I'm curious what you mean by arts facilities. Do you mean theater management? I know some of the people with the Neederlander chain. <P>My background is in location management for film and television production. I'm the guy who finds the places they shoot, be it a hotel ballroom for a TV soap to some etherial, other-world landscape for a sci-fi movie. That's just the beginning. Then you have to work with all parties involved, from the property owner to government land use agencies, to get the company into the location and out again. <P>It has been a fun job at times, but it has become far too stressful and not as fun as it used to be. I imagine many of the skills I've learned over the years, negotiation, time management, inter-personal skills, would transfer well in facilties or management.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:52 am 

Facilites could mean theatres or umbrella organizations that provide management services, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:42 am 

I was referring to theatres, concert halls, etc. I work for Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto. It's primarily an orchestral concert hall. We also manage Massey Hall, another concert hall that is 100+ years old and has a great reputation among the rock & roll, blues and folk types.<P>Your experience sounds a lot like the requirements we look for in what we call an event coordinator - our on-site person who baby-sits the renter or artist and their production in the days leading up to and including the show date. They do everything from arranging hotel rooms to liaising with our other departments to doing the first draft of the final settlement with the renter or artist. Multi-tasking squared, and weird hours, but at least you get to live at home!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:35 am 

You've got my mind running on this one now. I'm definitely becomming more nad more interested. <P>I used to coordinate shows for a live event producer. We did corporate and private events for some extreme VIP types. Leaning heavilly toward democratic ideaology, there were times I had to force myself to keep my mouth shut and smile, but then again, they were paying the bills. Fortunately my boss, though very much the republican, knew the value of a spirited debate. Many of the duties I did for him were the very things you describe. It was always a huge payoff to see all the pieces come together when the curtain went up the first night.<P>I live in Los Angeles and timing could be on my side. Two of the grand old vaudeville/movie palaces were recently closed for remodeling (The Palace and the Orpheum). They will come back as venues for hire for live performances. The Disney hall will be opening in the next few years as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 5:20 am 

It certainly sounds like some interesting opportunities are developing there. Good luck!

Profile E-mail