It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre Management Changes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:28 pm 

A shocker? Louis G. Spisto quits ABT:

Quote:
After a Storm, Director Quits Ballet Theater

DOREEN CARVAJAL, NY Times

The embattled executive director of American Ballet Theater resigned under pressure yesterday in a continuing crisis for the troupe, one of the world's premier ballet companies.
More

<small>[ 17 June 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre Management Changes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:31 pm 

But it shouldn't be a surprise to Critical-Dance readers who had been following this thread:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000088 target=_blank>Management Turmoil at American Ballet Theater</a>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:05: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:36 pm 

And here's a previous topic in which we discussed how Executive Directors get burnt out:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000022 target=_blank>Washington Ballet Executive Director Resigns</a>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:06: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:44 pm 

From ABT's bio for Spisto:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hailed for his proven track record in orchestra management, a reputation for innovation, and a great marketing savvy, Mr. Spisto proved that this reputation is well-earned at DSOH. Under his direction, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, a leading regional organization with an annual budget of $25 million, saw its earned income and fundraising totals expand to $100 million.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.abt.org/inside/leadership.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:48 am 

<B>BALLET BIG IN DEEP TUTU QUITS</B> <BR> <BR>By MICHAEL RIEDEL for The NY Post<BR> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Louis G. Spisto - the embattled executive director of the American Ballet Theater - resigned yesterday. <BR>Spisto is fighting charges of sexual harassment and age discrimination and has clashed with several ABT board members over the company's precarious financial state, ABT sources told The Post yesterday. <P>"Mr. Spisto's resignation resulted from a growing difference in vision from many members of the Board of Directors," ABT board president Ed Fox said in a press release. "Recognizing these differences, Mr. Spisto offered his resignation, and it was accepted."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/36001.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:19 am 

According to the article - 30 employees and five board members quit during his term of office. That would certainly lead one to question the health of the company under his direction wouldn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:04 am 

A word of encouragement for Spisto?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ex-New York ballet chief, Spisto, should 'land on his feet'<P>Lawrence B. Johnson, Detroit News<P>When Louis G. Spisto, former executive director of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, resigned Wednesday as chief executive of the American Ballet Theater (ABT), both the brevity and apparent financial success of his tenure mirrored Spisto's stint with the DSO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://detnews.com/2001/entertainment/0107/29/d03-256111.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:45 am 

A veteran takes Spisto's place:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ballet Theater Appoints New Director<P>JENNIFER DUNNING, NY Times<P>The American Ballet Theater today named a veteran arts administrator as its new executive director after two years of board and staff resignations and backstage furor that rivaled any onstage drama.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/17/arts/dance/17APPO.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:06 pm 

The official statement:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>American Ballet Theatre Names Wallace Chappell as Its New Executive Director<P>Business Wire on Yahoo! News<P>NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 17, 2001--Gedalio Grinberg, Chairman of American Ballet Theatre's Board of Trustees, announced today the appointment of Wallace Chappell to the position of Executive Director, effective October 15, 2001.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011017/172283_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:36 am 

Does anyone know anything about this person? I am familiar with some of the venues he has worked with, but nothing more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:15 pm 

Although I'm quite sure they earn it, I am always ASTOUNDED at the salaries of the administrative hierarchy. It reminds me of those comparisons in the US between the workers and the CEO's of various large corporations. As opposed to Japan and some European corporations, in which the gaps are not as large, I don't believe. I can't help but compare the gaps between the dancers' salaries and the ED and AD. Especially, when so many AD and ED leave even before their contracts are up (we WONT' mention any names, of course). The loyalty doesn't seem to be there; why the huge salaries? I know the answer I'll probably get is "that's the way it's always" been. Of course there are exceptions where AD's stay for many years. <P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:38 pm 

Oh, they earn it; there's no doubt about that. The problem is that the artists <I>also</I> earn it -- and don't get it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:46 pm 

One problem in the UK dance world is that young administrators in the Arts Council earn £22,000 and some of the best contemporary/modern dancers in the country earn £14,000 including teaching work.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:44 am 

Another appointment:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>American Ballet Theatre Names Peter Lyden as Director of Development<P>Business Wire on Yahoo! News<P>NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 22, 2001--Gedalio Grinberg, Chairman, and Wallace Chappell, Executive Director of American Ballet Theatre, announced today the appointment of Peter Lyden as Director of Development, effective November 19, 2001.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011022/222235_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:40 am 

Yikes! How long had ABT been functioning without a Development Director? That can't be good, especially for a company of that size (and with no ED for a couple of months.) I'm glad that this guy has lots of experience, but the fact that he's only ever worked in hospitals makes me a little nervous...I do wish him luck, though!