public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pennsylvania Ballet Receives Grant from Amex
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 9:58 pm 

Good news for Phildelphia:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>American Express Performing Arts Fund Names Two More Recipients</B><P>BackStage.com, courtesy of Yahoo! News<P>The Arena Stage in Washington, D.C. has just received a $125,000 two-year grant from American Express, while the Pennsylvania Ballet in Philadelphia garnered a whopping $150,000 two-year grant, also from American Express.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpibs/20010125/en/_b_h1_american_express_performing_arts_fund_names_two_more_recipients_h1_b__1.html" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Ballet Receives Grant from Amex
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:51 pm 

The article mentions that $150,000 over two years is "whopping." Really? Isn't that peanuts for a ballet company?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:01 am 

A new full length costume ballet costs $1-2m. So you're right Azlan, it ain't a lot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:24 pm 

While Stuart's figure may be appropriate for the top ten companies in the world, 150k IS whopping these days.<P>I'd like to know how much Wash Peter Pan was. I'd bet is was less than 500k and you can sell the crap out of that thing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:58 pm 

The article did not fully specify what the grant was directed toward; but consider in the light of operating budget:<P>If a company has a $2 million dollar budget; and hopefully are efficient enough to recoup 40% in earned income; that leaves a need to raise $1.2 million in donations. The grant seems to be $75,000 for each of two years, or more than 6% of that goal. <P>If I could account for six percent of my contributions income from one source for two years, I would be rather happy.<P>The problem comes when the two years are over, and you need to look for a source to make up that difference.<P>As to the costume ballets, those need to be looked at as long-term investments and amortized over the years they generate income. Even so, not sure that anyone should invest $2 million in a production (unless you are talking about something like Maurice Sendak's "Nutcracker" at PNB).

Profile E-mail