public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Bay Area Financial Situation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:17 pm 

I thought I'd start a new thread and combine various topics on this subject, starting with this article from San Jose:

Quote:
S.J. ballet not alone in feeling cash pinch
MANY ARTS GROUPS DEAL WITH ONGOING FINANCIAL JEOPARDY

By Mike Antonucci, Anita Amirrezvani and Mark de la Viña, San Jose Mercury News

The controversy that swirled around Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley last week -- when executive director Andrew Bales told the city he needed money to make payroll -- may be over for the moment. But it only hinted at the financial and political land mines that continue to threaten the survival of the organization and other arts groups in the South Bay. <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/5142033.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: San Francisco Bay Area Financial Situation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:34 pm 

Previous posts in other threads (note that some of the links may have expired):

-------------------------------------------------

DavidH

Oops! Posted the wrong link.

Quote:
Many arts organizations, especially smaller community-oriented groups, traditionally have operated hand-to-mouth, season to season. But the combination of Sept. 11, the dot-com bust and the stock market's nose dive have smashed the assets of arts-funding foundations. Add those factors to a drop in ticket sales for some, and it's easy to see how arts organizations are hurting like everything else.
Arts Groups Seek to Stop Curtain Call

Azlan

Thanks for correcting the link, DavidH. The situation is dire, isn't it? But you know what, the General Public still don't get it. They think arts organizations will weather this. Wait till some of their favorite companies are no more...

Here's what the communities in the SF East Bay say they need:

Quote:
Performance companies name top wishes for new year

Margot Abbott, Contra Costa Times

SINCE IT'S THE NEW YEAR, I asked a few of the local performing arts groups what resolutions they had made for 2003.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/4865665.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Hmm, interesting:

Quote:
Local arts scene needs our help in the new year

Christina Engelbrecht, Contra Costa Times

DID YOU HEAR the loud "Whoooooo-peeeee" ringing through the hills and valleys of Lamorinda last month? I was simply exclaiming my restored faith in humanity when I learned that the Lafayette City Council had directed city staff to research the prospect of creating a public art ordinance.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/living/4866078.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Azlan

I think this is good news...

Quote:
Arts groups will receive full funding

Mark de la Viña, San Jose Mercury News

San Jose arts groups, already struggling with decreases in attendance and funding, received a rare financial reprieve last week when the city decided to award the full $3,192,405 in 2002-03 arts grants to 53 cultural organizations.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/4738883.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Azlan

Good:

Quote:
24 groups get $100,000 in grants
Tri-Valley Community Foundation's gifts will help support a wide range of services at nonprofit agencies and schools

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

The Tri-Valley Community Foundation has awarded more than $100,000 in community grants to 24 local agencies.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/5088159.htm target=_blank>More</a>

LMCtech

Not strictly dance but definitely related to basic arts management. When I worked there in the late '90's I was struck buy the wanton waste and bad management at the company. Looks like it has finally bit them in the butt...

Quote:
Tenor of the times: S.F. Opera cuts back
Performances to be slashed 25% over next 3 years to save money

Joshua Kosman, Chronicle Music Critic

Beginning with the 2005-06 season, the company will stage about 65 performances a year spread over nine productions, according to general director Pamela Rosenberg. That is down from the 88 performances of 11 or 12 productions that has been the rule for the past decade.

The goal is to shrink the annual operating budget from around $60 million to $45 million. The Opera had a deficit of $7.6 million for the 2001-02 season and is predicting a $9.2 million shortfall this year.
more...

Of course, Ms. Rosenburg makes it sound like it is the fault of San Francisco, but really I think the fault lies only with themselves.

Azlan

Quote:
S.F. Opera cutting back performances

ASSOCIATED PRESS, in the San Jose Mercury News

The deficit-ridden San Francisco Opera will reduce the number of its performances during the next three years in an effort to shrink the annual operating budget from around $60 million to $45 million.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/5064584.htm target=_blank>More</a>

DavidH

Quote:
"This city is just not able financially to support a jumbo jet," Rosenberg said. "We still think we can be a fabulous opera company. The amount we'll be producing is less, but we'll be doing that optimally."
An intersting comment on so many levels. Certainly their subscriber/single ticket and support base extends beyond the City of SF?

I'm still fuming about the safety fines they had to pay. It's difficult to feel any sympathy with that kind of wreckless attitude.

D

LMCtech

I'm with you there David. What did I say above about bad management. Those OSHA fines are another symptom of it. But don't get me started about the problems I encountered working over there. I'd type my hands into carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Azlan

The same AP story above also appeared in the Ogden Standard Examiner. I guess it's big news outside California as well...

<small>[ 09 February 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:39 pm 

There was also this thread on the San Jose Symphony collapse with numerous links:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000297 target=_blank>San Jose Symphony Shuts Down</a>

and of course the one on Ballet San Jose:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001835 target=_blank>Ballet San Jose Financial Crisis 2003</a>

<small>[ 09 February 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:28 pm 

There's a lot of very interesting information in this article. Man,what a drag to inherit someone elses "garbage."

Quote:
The San Francisco Opera's plan to scale back its operations by as much as 25 percent sounded like pretty bad news when it first came out late last month.

It's not. It's the best news to come out of the War Memorial Opera House in some time.
Opera Sings Different Financial Tune

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:48 pm 

Performing arts organizattions aren't the only ones to feel the pinch. From the Chronicle...

Quote:
SFMOMA to cut back on exhibits
Endowments frozen after losses on market

Erin McCormick, Chronicle Staff Writer

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art plans to cut its exhibitions by as much as 25 percent in the wake of an expected $1 million budget deficit for 2003 and stock market losses that have left its endowment fund $13.9 million in the red.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:57 pm 

A discussion in San Jose...

Quote:
Meeting of arts, minds
S.J. GROUPS TO DISCUSS WAYS TO IMPROVE FINANCIAL HEALTH
By Mike Antonucci
Mercury News

In an effort to combat increasingly intense economic pressures, more than 100 board members from nine large arts organizations in San Jose will meet tonight to discuss ways of pumping up their financial and political muscle.

Tonight's event is being organized by the San Jose Arts and Culture Roundtable. Its nine members are Ballet San Jose, the American Musical Theatre, the San Jose Repertory Theatre, Opera San Jose, the Tech Museum of Innovation, the San Jose Museum of Art, the Children's Discovery Museum, Mexican Heritage Plaza and History San Jose, which runs History Park, the Peralta Adobe and Fallon House. The Roundtable raised $30,000 from its members to commission the research on the arts' economic impact.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:59 pm 

I don't think this columnist understands, box office sales do not a balanced budget make...

Quote:
Valley arts events, programs have fans
By Leigh Weimers
Mercury News

Going out for a little culture this weekend? You won't be alone.

Oh, sure, there's been more of the usual whining lately that Silicon Valley doesn't support the arts, that TV is as good as it gets for us. But consider this evidence to the contrary:

• Demand for tickets caused City Lights Theater Company and San Jose Repertory Theatre to add extra performances of ``Sylvia'' and ``Culture Clash in AmeriCCa,'' respectively.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:32 pm 

Cuts at San Francisco Ballet:

Quote:
S.F. Ballet dismissing 4 dancers
Cuts seen as necessary due to $1 million predicted budget deficit

SF Chronicle Staff Report

Facing a projected $1 million budget deficit next season, the San Francisco Ballet has dismissed four dancers, including two of its 18 principals. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/03/01/BA146621.DTL target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:13 pm 

SF Opera Shuts Down Touring Program

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:25 am 

San Francisco Opera cuts $5.2 million

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:29 am 

Oy...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:01 pm 

Interesting. The Ballet seems to be the worst hit:

Quote:
S.F. ARTS GROUPS WEATHER DONATION SLOWDOWN

Todd Wallack, SF Chronicle Staff Writer

Arts funding is shrinking on every front: from foundations, government grants, individual donors, corporations -- even from lower ticket sales. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/04/20/MN86904.DTL target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:03 pm 

In case people don't realize it, I will quote the chart from the bottom of the above article:

Quote:
Where the money comes from
Individuals: 75.8%, $160.7 billion
This is true of most funding throughout the US. Yes, most of the money comes from donations from individuals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:07 pm 

Related articles:

Quote:
STRENGTH OF BIG FOUR'S ENDOWMENTS VARIES

Todd Wallack, SF Chronicle Staff Writer

Despite a decline in attendance and arts grants, some of the Bay Area's biggest performing arts groups have an important cushion: assets tucked away in reserve. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/04/20/MN278165.DTL target=_blank>more</a>
Quote:
HARD TIMES TAKES CENTER STAGE
S.F.'s donor-funded showcases cut back in wake of economic slump

Joshua Kosman, Erin McCormick, Steven Winn, SF Chronicle Staff Writers

Opera patrons have fewer performances to choose from. Theater audiences may see costumes recycled from years past. Ballet lovers won't count as many dancers on the stage. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/04/20/MN140586.DTL target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:43 pm 

A continuation of the above subject matter focusing on mid-sized companies. From the Chronicle...

Quote:
PERFORMING ARTS
Red Ink on the Rise
Midsize groups forced to face the music
For 6 organizations, a time of cutbacks and uncertainty

Joshua Kosman, Steven Winn, Chronicle Staff Writers

The current economy spares no one. Shrinking donations, rising costs and financially stressed ticket buyers have left managers at arts organizations of all sizes seeking relief wherever they can.

Today, we look at some of the Bay Area's midsized companies. While some administrators surveyed express guarded optimism, most are shifting gears and bracing for more grief.
more...

Profile E-mail