public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trivia time re Glasco
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:12 pm 

Sorry but I just couldn’t help myself! Below is another excerpt from “The Sugar Plum Fairy has left the building!” I’m hopping with the vast audience Criticaldance reaches and all the contacts its moderators have I’ll be able to get an answer to the below story!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> ...The seal of silence even extends all the way to Britannia! Allen Marple: “She (Glasco) apparently some years ago had quite insulted Sir Kenneth MacMillan of the Royal Ballet to the point where he said that lady will never dance one of my ballets again. James Kudelka, last fall, went to bat with Monica Parker who is the custodian of his estate and who has to approve who will dance his dances. (Actually Lady Deborah MacMillan is the custodian of the MacMillan trust. Monica Parker, a world renowned expert in Benesh Movement Notation, mounts many of MacMillan’s ballets.) And James got permission for Kimberly to dance in Manon last fall, so that’s not the act of somebody who is vindictive. She said to him, ‘I don’t know how you did it and I’m not sure I want to know.’” <P>I contacted Andrew Ward, the Director of the Benesh Institute in England for confirmation of whether the above story is true. He promised to forward my questions to Lady Deborah MacMillan and Monica Parker. Unfortunately, I’m still waiting on a response. What if it is true? Kimberly is in pretty good company: Sylvie Guillem experienced all sorts of trouble with Sir Kenneth MacMillan. We’ll probably never find out just how or if Kimberly insulted Sir Kenneth MacMillan. Julie Houle, chair of the Bring Back Kimberly Glasco Network, <A HREF="http://www.kim-glasco.com" TARGET=_blank>www.kim-glasco.com</A> claims this story to be 100% poppycock!<P>Julie Houle is a notorious do-gooder. She was the first winner of the National Ballet School’s prestigious Citizenship and Fellowship Award (1982). It is very important to note the NBS only gives out this honor if it is merited! Houle has been working her little tutu off returning phone calls for the Bring Back Kimberly Glasco Network and giving out “My ballet includes KIMBERLY” buttons.<P>Celia Franca (77) who gave birth to the National Ballet of Canada was contacted but never returned my call. The Wizard of the National Ballet of Canada, Walter Carsen, also failed to return my call despite my pleas to him in German (his native tongue). Wilder, Kudelka and Drake wouldn’t talk either. <P>...A few employees of the ballet’s Telemarketing, Publicity and Development departments told members of the ballet that Glasco (1) never danced in the Nutcracker, and (2) could not master the steps of a difficult pas de deux with the Prince. One employee actually said Glasco feigned an injury to get out of opening night. In fact, Glasco could not perform because of a ripped tendon in the small muscle of her calf. And she has the MRI to prove it! Why anybody at the NBoC would claim Glasco never danced in Kudelka’s Nutcracker is the pinnacle of Giselle madness! After whirling through microfilm at the Metro Toronto Library I found the golden Fabergé egg I was looking for. It was right there in glorious black and white. Veteran ballet reviewer for the Toronto Star (December 15, 1996), Susan Walker, waxed poetic of Glasco’s performance: “Glasco glistened in the part that Kudelka created for her, the Sugar Plum fairy.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trivia time re Glasco
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 4:09 pm 

so what's the question?<P>btw michael, you know i often appreciate your writings, but i can't believe you would waste the time of these busy people (one of whom i did know for some years) with a direct enquiry from you over such trivia: i DO hope you are joking?<P>the story is vaguely amusing, but believe me, it was not hard to offend macmillan.<P>and IF your question is, whether or not this story is true: WHO CARES? (i think only you).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trivia time re Glasco
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 4:48 pm 

I guess you had to hear Allen Marple tell the story. He made it sound of some importance. <BR>What’s the big deal having someone confirm it? It would only take a minute of their time.<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail