public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Dancers Sidetracked by Other Careers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:49 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Sweeney:

The author talks about her "training as a ballerina", but it looks as though he is not familiar with the precise use of the word.
Hey Stuart,

I guess you are right. This guy doesn't know the use of the word indeed. To him, anyone studying ballet is a "ballerina". He should have (at the very least) used the term "ballet-student" in order to be more accurate.

Tex.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:03 pm 

An article on Charlize Theron:

Quote:
THERON NEVER WANTED TO BE FAMOUS

Contact Music

The MONSTER actress, 29, was oblivious to the culture of celebrity while growing up on a farm in South Africa - and only learnt about fame when she won a place to study dance at THE JOFFREY BALLET SCHOOL in New York as a teenager. <a href=http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/0/6B091F1ACAFE56E180256EF30057D67C!opendocument target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:25 am 

What a career it is :)

Quote:
Former dancer takes the Khmer crown, with Hun Sen's approval

by JAN McGIRK
the Independent

Sihamoni, a 51-year-old former ballet dancer, was selected by a special government council which met in the royal palace near the banks of the Tonle Sap river. The apolitical prince won the approval of Prime Minister Hun Sen, the strongman who actually rules the impoverished kingdom, and the coronation is planned for 29 October.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:20 am 

The powder room
Want to know how to give your reception that little added extra? in The Times Kate Spicer hears from a make-up girl who had a brilliant idea.

Women have always treated the ladies like a no man’s land, a place where the barriers and bitchiness of womanhood come down and two strangers will bond over the texture of a Stila lip gloss, the pigment in a Nars blusher, or a simple, “I really like your top.” Given our ability to turn a lavatory into a private boudoir of chat and beauty, it’s a wonder that nobody thought of the Powderpuff Girls sooner.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:28 am 

"Women have always treated the ladies like a no man’s land...two strangers will bond over the texture of a Stila lip gloss, the pigment in a Nars blusher, or a simple, “I really like your top.”

It's very similar in the Gents. A typical conversation might be: "I have a tie with egg stains just like."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:11 am 

Diane Kruger
When I'm feeling fat I walk tall - and try to get a tan
Interview by Carolyn Asome for The Times.

BORN and raised in Germany, Diane Kruger, 28, studied with the Royal Ballet before injury ended her dance career. She modelled until 2002, then appeared in The Piano Player with Christopher Lambert and Dennis Hopper. Last year she starred in Troy, and is at Cannes this week promoting Joyeux Noël. She is filming Copying Beethoven in Budapest.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:41 am 

Quote:
Behind the counter
by MARISA DUFFY for the Scotland Herald

When a neck injury forced dancer Stephanie Laird to end a glittering career with the Royal Ballet in London, she was heart-broken.
However, years of performing in intricate costumes had given her an appreciation of beautiful clothing which, coupled with childhood memories of her mother's prolific knitting, led her to open a hand-knitted cashmere shop.

published: August 4, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:58 am 

Quote:
Your waking nightmare
by MARY BRENNAN for the Scotland Herald

When it later emerged that Murphy, who'd been one of the first (and few successful) dance-makers to integrate film and mixed media in his choreography, was intending to write for the stage . . . well, disbelief turned to sheer bewilderment.

published: August 9, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:26 am 

Quote:
Theron receives Walk of Fame honour
by the Press Association

Oscar winner Charlize Theron has received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame only blocks from where she was first "discovered."

"I had big dreams when I came here, but this is an incredibly amazing gift... Two cherries on top of the cake," Theron told a cheering crowd at the star's unveiling.

published: September 30, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:13 pm 

Former First Lady Betty Ford, widow of the late president:

Quote:
Born Elizabeth Anne Bloomer in Chicago in 1918 and raised in Grand Rapids, Mich., Mrs. Ford was passionate about dance. Not long after she graduated from high school, she studied with Martha Graham in New York City, becoming a member of the Martha Graham Auxiliary Group. In 1941, back in Grand Rapids, she became a fashion coordinator for a department store and formed her own dance group.

More in the NY Times

Does snyone know (well, someone surely knows; I mean does anyone here know) if "the Martha Graham Auxiliary Group" was the equivalent of today's Martha Graham Ensemble -- the second company?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 pm 

Audrey Hepburn

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:55 am 

One more, guys...

Vanessa Carlton

"Vanessa Lee Carlton (born August 16, 1980) is an American pop singer, songwriter, and pianist best known for the single "A Thousand Miles" from her platinum-selling debut album, Be Not Nobody (2002)".

"She attended the School of American Ballet in New York City. The stress and rigid training of the ballet lessons proved too much for her, and she chose not to become a dancer upon graduation".

She is seen dancing (and of course, playing the piano) in one of her latest videos - I think she is quite good!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12