public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Singapore Arts Festival 2002
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:55 am 

Singapore Arts Festival 2002<BR>30 May - 23 June. <BR><A HREF="http://www.singaporeartsfest.com" TARGET=_blank>www.singaporeartsfest.com</A> <P>DANCE - Main Programme<P>1 - 3 June<BR><I>birdbrain</I><BR>Australian Dance Theatre (Australia)<P>2 - 3 June<BR><I>bhukham circus of earth and sky</I> <BR>Daksha Sheth Dance Company (India)<P>5 - 6 June<BR><I>multiplicity. forms of silence and emptiness</I><BR>8 June<BR><I>mixed bill</I><BR>Compãnia Nacional de Danza (Spain)<P>8 - 11 June<BR><I>missing in tall pillars</I><BR>Ecnad Project Limited (Singapore)<P>11 - 12 June<BR><I>metapolis - project 972</I><BR>Compagnie Charleroi/Danses - Plan K (Belgium)<P>15 - 16 June<BR><I>opal-d</I><BR>Nomadi Productions (Finland)<P>16 - 17 June<BR><I>le jardin io io ito ito</I><BR>Compagnie Montalvo-Hervieu (France)<P>18 - 19 June<BR><I>le cri du monde</I> <BR>Compagnie Marie Chouinard (Canada)<P>22 - 23 June<BR><I>memorandum</I><BR>Dumb Type (Japan)<P> <p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited February 25, 2002).]

Post subject: Re: Singapore Arts Festival 2002
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:59 pm 

Malcolm, I assume you will be reviewing each and everyone of these programs?! Image<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited March 01, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:21 am 

Oh, very funny, Azlan Image<BR>Most likely, two of us will be reviewing some of these for The Flying Inkpot, but that again depends if we are offered tickets to all the performances. And even if we are offered tickets, there might be some weird little mix-up at the front desk. Long story - if you want to know more, I'll e-mail you, heh.<BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:01 am 

Image <BR><small>Mikari in the title role of the KU NA'UKA Theatre Company's <I>Medea</I>. Picture by James Croucher</small><P>A kind of look-back at the Singapore Arts Festival:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>ARTS FEST DRAMA-RAMA<BR><B>Text-ing the limits</B> <BR>A closer look at the experiments in remaking classics at the Arts Fest provides an instructive lesson on why the classics have endured, says ONG SOR FERN <P>IT HAS been a veritable smorgasbord - 31 productions from 18 different countries at the Singapore Arts Festival. Now that it is over, bleary-eyed theatre-goers can sit back and take stock.<P>Which, for this theatre-goer at least, means looking at the ever-thorny issue of art-making in a post-modern world, an issue which contains within it eternal questions of the role of art in society and its relevance to theatre-goers.<P>Although it is impossible to draw a single conclusion from the wide array of works, there is one recurrent trend that provides an illuminating entry point for discussion: the preponderance of productions which remade classic texts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/story/0,1870,130480-1026079140,00.html?" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><P>(Link will expire in 2 days.)<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited July 12, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:45 am 

WILL AITKEN - Globe and Mail, August 14, 2002:
Quote:
Singapore savours the arts

In a society where it's illegal for an artist to "confuse" Singaporeans or create content that's seen as harmful to family values and wholesome living, an artist can easily run into trouble. In 1994 performance artist Josef Ng exposed his buttocks and trimmed his pubic hair in a fringe performance held at midnight in a shopping mall to protest the arrest of 12 homosexuals.
To read more search WILL AITKEN on the Globe and Mail 7 Day Search

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:02 am 

Interesting... I would never have expected a Canadian newspaper to pick up on the Singapore Arts Festival...