public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shakespeare in dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:54 pm 

Hello to you all!<P>For the period february/march 2003, I am seriously looking for and selecting a very good and new (or recent) dance production <BR>inspired by Shakespeare's work.<BR> <BR>The place of performance would be in Italy.<P>So the ballet should have never been previously performed in Italy. <BR> <BR>Please send any serious indications or proposal to:<BR> <BR>agon@inwind.it<BR> <BR>Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shakespeare in dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:07 pm 

What about Twelfth Night. It has all the good elements.<P>Romantic interludes, mistaken identity, girls dressed as boys, a jester, a maid, an old fat guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:42 pm 

Agone - welcome to the board, I am glad you got my e-mail and suggestion to post your question here.<P>It's a pleasure to have you join us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:30 am 

Hi agone! To make our suggestions meaningful it might be helpful if you told us the size of the venue you would be using. There are a lot of full-length ballets made from Shakespeare, but they would not be suitable in a 200-seater dance house.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:04 am 

Does the performance have to be ballet? If not, what about Rennie Harris PureMovement's "Rome and Jewels" (based on Romeo & Juliet)? It is hip-hop dance, and I know they were recently in the UK on tour, so they may have gone elsewhere in Europe as well, I'm not sure. <P>Otherwise, I am hard-pressed to think of many recent Shakespeare ballets. The most recent I can think of is "Othello" choreographed by Lar Lubovitch for American Ballet Theatre. There are several decent versions of "A Midsummer Night's Dream"- Balanchine's (which I'm sure has been performed in Italy before), Bruce Marks' version for the Boston Ballet, and Christopher Wheeldon's version for the Colorado Ballet (the most recent of the 3 versions I just mentioned). Also, there are the John Cranko versions of "Romeo & Juliet" and "The Taming of the Shrew" but I'm sure those have been performed in Italy at some point as well.<P>I'm sure there are plenty of other good Shakespeare ballets out there, this is just what I can think of quickly.<P>Who will be performing this Shakespeare dance? Are you looking for a company to come and perform the work, or are you looking for a work that will be performed by an Italy-based troupe?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:23 am 

A new resource for anyone thinking about choreographing Shakespeare:

Shakespearean text lives online
From the BBC website

Scholars can see how the text changes across editions
Fans of Shakespeare are getting the chance to thumb through some of the earliest copies of the Bard's plays.
The British Library is putting online 93 high-resolution digitised copies of 21 of Shakespeare's plays.

The texts date from Shakespeare's lifetime and are pamphlet editions of plays prepared to be sold after performances had finished.

The printed works show how the text evolved and cast doubt on the idea of definitive versions of his plays.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:16 pm 

Hello, CD friends, just a FYI if you're interested in things Shakespearean there is an academic list-serv (which my professor had us all join) called SHAKSPER:

Quote:
SHAKSPER is the international electronic conference for Shakespearean researchers, instructors, students, and those who share their academic interests and concerns. It currently includes approximately 1,300 SHAKSPEReans, from Andorra, Argentina, Australia [...] the United States, Ukraine, Wales, and Yugoslavia.

SHAKSPER offers the opportunity for the formal exchange of ideas through queries and responses regarding literary, critical, textual, theoretical, and performative topics and issues [....]in addition to "popular" culture references to Shakespeare or his works. The Editor normally publishes contributions to SHAKSPER lightly edited and grouped according to topic for readers' convenience.
Browsing the about 70+ hits resulting from a SEARCH with "ballet" and "dance" found a few threads with performance reviews (ABTs “The Dream” on PBS, etc). There was 1 or 2 queries w/ ballet questions that any regular on CD would be able to answer without any sweat (e.g. Q: Weren’t there ballet versions of R&J suggesting an erotic relationship between Lady Capulet and Tybalt?). Nor surprisingly from a list-serv dominated by the literary minded, there are a few threads expressing dread at violating “Hamlet” or some other Shakespeare Great Work by turning it into a movie or (heaven forbid) a ballet.

The only interesting thread re: dance was a mention of a news story from 1995 or 1996 about a grade school principal who declined complimentary tickets for her school to see a ballet R&J because it was (as she had it) both heterosexist and an art form that would be of no interest to her working class pupils. http://www.shaksper.net/archives/1998/0198.html

There isn't a whole lot right now in SHAKSPER that is really exciting for the dance enthusiast since it's mostly devoted to fairly academic and sometimes esoteric discussions on Shakespeare. But, if you want to discuss “chiastic formations” in Q1 Hamlet or such burning textual questions as “… whether the compositor's copy for Richard II (Q1597) consisted of a manuscript (foul or fair) in Shakespeare's hand or was a scribal transcript in the hand of another” etc, then SHAKESPER is for you. You don’t need to be admitted to the list-serv to browse, only to post.

<small>[ 15 September 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Jeff ]</small>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:08 am 

Hello, CD friends, a Shakespeare fyi I learned from SHAKSPER:

Just in time for all the Shakespeare options being unleahed on the summer metropolis, Google recently premiered a new Shakespeare web resource:

From their press release:

Quote:
In Shakespeare's day, gaining greater access to theatrical events meant
duking it out with the other "groundlings" for the best view of the
stage. It took centuries before the modern publishing industry could
make works like Macbeth widely available. Today, the Internet is
continuing to remove the barriers between people and knowledge, and
Google Book Search (http://books.google.com/) is helping people all over
the world browse and discover the great texts of history.

At www.google.com/shakespeare, book lovers and theater fans alike can
explore Shakespeare's entire oeuvre right from their desktop. You can
search for famous lines in Macbeth without toil and trouble, browse
through all the plays you know, or follow your curiosity to discover new
works on the site. And if you decide you want to buy a copy of one of
Shakespeare's works, the "All editions" link will show you every version
in Google Book Search, many of which are available for purchase.

Check it out at: http://books.google.com/googlebooks/shakespeare/

And, speaking of summer Shakespeare, my graduate advisor e-mailed us a list of summer Shakespeare options for southern California including Shakespeare by the Sea (www.shakespearebythesea.org), Long Beach Shakespeare (www.lbshakespeare.org, Shakespeare Orange County (www.chapman.edu/shakespeare), and more.