public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dancers Sidetracked by Other Careers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:33 am 
Do you know which dance ctr shes (J. Guy)teaching at Bebounce???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:01 am 

I can think of loads of movie stars - Charlize Theron who was involved with one of the US companies (Boston maybe, somewhere like that?) and Penelope Cruz who 'danced until her feet bled' and then realized she couldn't hack the pain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 6:18 pm 
Yes sylvia-both of those ladies look like dancers(posture,posture).<BR> Princess Diana also took lessons...but they said she was too tall...well yous know the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:21 am 
Bebounce mentioned Mary Tyler Moore in another thread--almost forgot she was a dancer.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 8:42 am 

<B>Bosnian ballerina ends up in state National Guard</B><BR>From Foster's Online (New Hampshire)<P><BR>PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) — When Irma Ugrincic, a ballerina, and her husband, Predrag Jovanovic, a police officer, arrived in New York City from Bosnia-Herzegovina five years ago, they never could have imagined ending up in the New Hampshire National Guard.<P>They had no friends, no relatives and they barely could speak English.<P>They wanted a normal life — a job, a car, basic freedoms.<P>"Unfortunately, in our country that was not possible because of all the destruction and war," Ugrincic said.<P>They lived in Chicago for a while, then about a year later they settled in New Hampshire. Ugrincic joined a Nashua-based ballet company. Jovanovic found a job working as an engineer in Manchester.<P><A HREF="http://www4.fosters.com/news2002/may2002/may10_02/news/nh0510a_02.asp" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 9:36 am 

As a little girl in the '50s, I was amazed by the number of movie actors who could "also" sing and dance. I didn't realize, of course, that they had had pre-'50s careers and had actually started out as singers and dancers. George Chakiris was one example. I first saw him as a leading actor in a couple of forgettable movies. When I then saw him as Bernardo in <I>West Side Story</I>, I thought he must be astonishingly talented to be able to learn to dance like that for the movie. Much later, when old movie musicals became available on video, I noticed him as a dancing chorus boy in several musicals. <I>There's No Business Like Show Business</I> and <I>Gentlemen Prefer Blondes</I> are two that I remember.<P>Way back in this thread, someone mentioned Brigitte Bardot. I saw her in a movie in which she plays a ballet dancer named Jill. She's shown dancing a bit by herself, and then being partnered, dancing on pointe and everything! The style looks very old-fashioned and I don't think she'd have made a big splash in the ballet world, but she obviously was correctly trained.<P>Does anyone know the title of this movie?<p>[This message has been edited by djb (edited May 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 10:05 am 

djb, perhaps this Bardot filmography will help to jog your memory:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.imzadi.nl/Rwwp4/bb_films.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.imzadi.nl/Rwwp4/bb_films.shtml</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 12:28 pm 

So many of the old comedians - Berle, Hope, Benny, Kaye, Durante, Caesar, Crosby, Cantor, Marx Brothers - many many more - could sing and dance. Even if it was just a bit of tap or soft shoe, they danced. They came originally from vaudeville, where one had to be multi-talented.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 9:32 pm 

Thanks, Stuart! <I>Voulez-vous danser avec moi?</I> sounds like a good bet -- I remember that the movie was from the end of the '50s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:59 pm 
In the old days of the movies,esp at the MGM studio,actors were required to do and train at a little bit of everything.<BR>Did anyone mention Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwyck being hoofers once also?<BR>I remember watching a fun movie w/ Barbara called 'Lady Of Burlesque',based on a Gypsy Rose Lee's The G-String Murders.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:23 am 

Two more dancers for this thread-<BR>Jennifer Garner (Sydney on "Alias") trained as a ballet dancer before launching her acting career, and Vanessa Carlton, a young singer/songwriter (you may have seen her video, she's playing piano on the back of a flatbed truck) trained at SAB.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 5:34 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Malcolm X's Daughter Talks About Home<BR> <BR>DEBORAH KONG, AP on Yahoo! News<P>...<P>She and her sisters were sent to private schools, and to a New York mosque every Sunday. They were tutored in Arabic, the Quran, achievements of black leaders and studied French, ballet, yoga, music and African dance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020513/ap_on_re_us/malcolm_x_family_1 target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:27 am 
Thanks Azlan.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 5:20 am 

How about Kelly Ripa:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's lively with Regis and Kelly<P>Ann Oldenburg USA TODAY <P><BR>As Ripa, 31, wipes off her makeup, freckles begin to show. Wearing jeans, a red T-shirt and ballet shoe flats (she has taken ballet since she was 3), she talks about watching Live long before she became a part of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20020514/en_usatoday/4108283 target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:31 am 

How about Michelle Yeoh:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Asia's kung-fu queen tries her hand at production<P>By Luke Baker, Reuters <P>...<P>Yeoh, 39, started out as a ballet dancer before winning the Miss Malaysia beauty contest in 1983 and then getting a start in film, acting in a commercial with action hero Jackie Chan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020515/film_nm/cannes_yeoh_1 target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next