public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dancers Sidetracked by Other Careers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:50 pm 

I think that Oksana Bauil, that Ukrainian figure skater, wanted to be a ballerina, but didn't have the body. I remember she skated a beautiful Swan Lake once, with the bun & feathers, port de bras, bourres and even a tutu I think.<BR>-Sarah-

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:35 am 

Zhang Ziyi was a dancer before she became and actress in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 5:17 pm 

Okay... the following is a quote from an AP story about "La Femme," a new topless revue in Las Vegas, featuring the dance troupe from the Crazy Horse in Paris. How accurate is this statement:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The 14 dancers, trained in ballet, are members of the Paris troupe that was founded in 1951.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010605/en/la_femme_troupe_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 10:51 am 

Here's another:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Buddy Ebsen Becomes a Novelist at 93</B><P>BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer <P>PALOS VERDES ESTATES, Calif. (AP) - At 93, Buddy Ebsen still moves with the smooth grace of a vaudeville hoofer, which he once was. With his dancing and acting days over, he has found a new occupation: author.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010606/en/wkd_buddy_s_bestseller_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 4:03 pm 

Impressive woman:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>CAREERS -- One Giant Leap for a Dancer</B><P>BusinessWeek Online<P>In 1989, Janet Rolle left her job after five years and enrolled in the MBA program at Columbia University. That was hardly unusual: Many students enter B-school with a few years' professional experience. What made Rolle a little different was the job she had left behind. After studying at Barnard College and then receiving an undergraduate degree in fine arts from the State University of New York at Purchase, Rolle worked as a jazz, modern, and classical dancer in London. Her stint in ballet slippers included positions as a principal dancer for the English National Opera and as a dance captain for the musical Time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/010614/ulg8twcvslhupbj3wziopg.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 11:41 am 

Actor and author Uta Hagen is quoted by Judith Lewis in the LA Weekly:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>“That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me!” she exclaimed, as if she didn’t quite believe me. “For a few years in my teens I wanted to be a modern dancer, and I studied for years with a modern-dance choreographer, Hanya Holm. It’s served me my whole life, this sense I got then of my body onstage, my body in space. But I didn’t think I could still do it — it was the reason I turned the role down for a year. I didn’t think I was up to the dancing.”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/laweekly/20010629/lo/25616_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:57 pm 

The Lea Thompson story is so funny BECAUSE:<P>Her "look alike" (Heather Sanders. Former (now retired and teaching)Principal with Southern Ballet Theatre never HAD Baryshnikov tell HER that she "couldn't dance".<BR> <A HREF="http://www.centralfloridaballet.org/teachers.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.centralfloridaballet.org/teachers.htm</A> <P>They look enough alike that you would swear they were sisters or mistake one for the other.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:19 am 

And then there's this from Billy Johnson Jr., in Launch.com:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Jay-Z's set also included a surprise dis to Mobb Deep member Prodigy. Jay-Z showed a photo of a young Prodigy taking ballet lessons and wearing a tutu. Prodigy had previously dissed Jay-Z on an underground mixtape from DJ Doo Wop.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/lc/20010630/en/michael_jackson_joins_jay-z_on_stage_at_summer_jam_show_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:54 am 

Okay, so we know we can count Tiger Woods out:<P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Tiger-Woods.html?searchpv=aponline" TARGET=_blank><B>Tiger Woods Can't Sing or Dance</B></A><BR>THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:07 pm 

He sure can swing though - a golf club that is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:06 am 
Audrey Hepburn was also a dancer;Patrick Swayzee of Dirty Dancing and Ghost;an NA actor named Michael Greyeyes who is married to a former member of the now defunct Cleveland San Jose Ballet(anyone ever seen STOLEN WOMEN CAPTURED HEARTS?).OH and that woman who played BEBE on Cheers and Frazier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:09 am 
...also actress Meg Tilly of Big Chill fame-she was sidetracked by a back injury.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:13 am 
OH-how can we forget former 1st LADY BETTY FORD-who danced with Martha Grahmes company.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:19 am 

Angela, thanks for those. Audrey Hepburn was discussed here:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum2/HTML/000090.html target=_blank><B>What's in a name?</B></a><P><BR>We also had this somewhat related thread:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum2/HTML/000195.html target=_blank><B>Those Who Should Have Danced.....</B></a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:46 am 

Apparentely theater veteran Billie Allen is writing a ballet:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Allen is writing a ballet, a fantasy set on the Louisiana bayou.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010725/en/pri_the_unretirees_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A> in this AP article on the play "Saint Lucy's Eyes."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next