public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Virus alert
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:10 pm 

A virulent virus has hit the dance website community, among others. It will come from someone you know with a title that makes some sense.

The 6 versions i have received to date are all large, about 200k. If you open the attached file in the e-mail, the virus attacks your e-mail list, finds a recent e-mail to provide a heading and then sends an e-mail with the virus to all those in your address book.

Information on the virus is at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html. This website has information about the file and how to remove it.

Do be careful and delete suspicious e-mails without even opening them is my advice.

There are a lot of spoof virus warnings around. Believe me this ain't one of them.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 23, 2001).]

<small>[ 19 May 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Virus alert
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:19 pm 

This is a widespread virus that is hitting the arts community hard.<P>Here are some hints to help identify the virus:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This worm arrives as an email message with the following content:<P>Subject: The subject of the email will be random, and will be the same as the file name of the attachment in the email.<BR>Message: The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.<P>Spanish Version:<BR>First line: Hola como estas ?<BR>Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.<P>English Version:<BR>First line: Hi! How are you?<BR>Last line: See you later. Thanks<P>Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:<P>Spanish Version:<BR>Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista<BR>Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando<BR>Espero te guste este archivo que te mando<BR>Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste<P>English Version:<BR>I send you this file in order to have your advice<BR>I hope you can help me with this file that I send<BR>I hope you like the file that I sendo you<BR>This is the file with the information that you ask for<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:44 pm 

It's still very much around. This morning I have recieved some 8 copies from 'mandychen' using a language that my PC dodn't recognize. They went straight in the bin but not before these 215k files had filled my mail box. Some e-mails to me may have bounced back. <P><B>Later</B> Just received another beaut from the unfortunate virus-ridden mandychen, which was a mailbox busting 10,000k!! She's on my filter list now. <P><B>Later still</B> mandychen has clearly got the hots for me. I am receiving 2 or 3 of these virus e-mails every hour. Is anyone else getting this repeated version. <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:17 am 

I have blocked Jazzdiva323 - that is also a virus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:37 pm 
Stuart, you seem to have an admirer from China or Hong Kong in Mandy Chen!<BR>I've got 2 Spanish versions of this virus yesterday, each of which is over 500 K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:41 am 

I got this - but it seemed to be French...the screen name was Steven_Shevelev@horacemann.org. <P>I have blocked it...but what was interesting is that Horace Mann is the name of the middle school my son went to - coincidence, I suppose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:12 am 

Basheva, unfortunately, blocking the names isn't a solution. The virus works by going through a person's mailbox and sending messages from that email address without the owner being aware. So it is very possible that you may get the virus from azlan@criticaldance.com or any of your friends. It is also very possible that I may get a virus from orzak@aol.com, without you being aware of it. In fact, the first emails I got containing the virus were from admin@criticaldance.com and Salzberg's personal email address. The emails were automatically sent without the owners' knowledge.<P>Insidious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:27 am 

ok - so another question....<P>Each of these e-mails comes with an attachment - I have never opened this attachment - would my computer now be affected? <P> I haven't noticed any damage to anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:59 am 

You're fine as long as you don't open the attachment. After you've verified that the text of the email conforms to the above, delete the mail and empty the trash.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:13 pm 

Well it looks as though mandy chen has had enough of me (add her name to a <B>very</B> long list).<P>But I have two new infected 'friends'. Here are their names and the file names:<P>"larry autrey" jayme1 <P>"Default" nyu-internal <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:18 pm 

I've received several viruses today of a type I haven't seen before, here are some examples showing the file size as 70-73 kb:

support@microsoft.com Re: My application May 19 70.4 KB

support@microsoft.com Your details May 19 73.1 KB

support@microsoft.com Re: Movie

They contain the bland and believable message:

All information is in the attached file.

application.pif (52.1 KB)

the .pif extension is one of the ways of delivering viruses or worms.

<small>[ 05 June 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:57 pm 

Quote:

New virus poses as Microsoft e-mail

‘Palyh’ spreads quickly around the globe

By Bob Sullivan
MSNBC

May 19 — A new computer virus that masquerades as an e-mail from Microsoft Corp. technical support made its way around the globe on Monday, infecting computers in 89 countries. Antivirus firms issued several warnings about the Internet worm after it hit dozens of corporations. UK-based MessageLabs said it stopped some 51,000 copies of the program headed for clients.

-- -- -- MORE -- -- --
Quote:
Internet users should update their antivirus software to protect against the worm. In the meantime, users should be skeptical of any unsolicited e-mail allegedly from Microsoft which arrives with one of the the following subject lines:
Your details
Approved (Ref: 38446-263)
Re: Approved (Ref: 3394-65467)
Your password
Re: My details
Screensaver
Cool screensaver
Re: Movie
Re: My application
The attached file can have one of the following names:
movie28.pif
application.pif
ref-394755.pif
approved.pif
doc_details.pif
your_details.pif
screen_temp.pif
screen_doc.pif
password.pif
Only Windows users are at risk of infection.

<small>[ 19 May 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: BabsLights ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:09 pm 

Quote:
In the meantime, users should be skeptical of any unsolicited e-mail allegedly from Microsoft which arrives with one of the the following subject lines:
...Or any other subject line. Microsoft does not send unsolicited mass email.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:14 pm 

That's right! They make you pay for their services! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:32 am 

Just to say that the ‘Palyh’ virus, described above, seems to be doing the rounds again.

Profile E-mail