public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dance Sculpture
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 10:27 pm 

whaddya' know! a new thread....<P>i think we need a place for dance art. and to start this off, our member Maggie Parker's lovely "To the Light" bronze sculpture courtesy of the Sculpture Showcase. <P> Image <P><BR>in about a month, Maggie will have her own site up, and i hope she'll put the link up here for us?<P>i mentioned Tom Merrifield to Maggie in an email, and then thought that was a bit rash of me, to bring up someone SO good and so well-known in ballet sculpture (at least he is, in England) when speaking to someone i really don't know, because, after all, i assumed Maggie wouldn't be LIKELY to be in that class...after all, how many WOULD be? very few.<P>but look how WRONG i was!!! she's really something. in fact, this is not unlike a Tom Merrifield work...even tho' i KNOW all artists hate to be compared to ANYONE, that IS a big compliment... Image<P>OK, so i'm off to see if there's anything about Tom on the web...<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance Sculpture
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 11:13 pm 

Dear Maggie - she's beautiful.<BR>The way you have captured the essence of the movement is superb (and it's correct technically!).<P>Felicitations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 4:44 am 

well, i'm pretty pleased with myself: i've FOUND it!<P>mind you, his sculptures in the gallery are nowhere near as effectively presented, as when you see them in 3 dimensions in real life, or in his hampstead garden which i've only seen photographs of. but here are some of Tom Merrifield's dancer bronzes.<P> Image <BR> <A HREF="http://www.art-connection.com/new/default.asp?gallery=Tom+Merrifield&x=20&y=17" TARGET=_blank>http://www.art-connection.com/new/default.asp?gallery=Tom+Merrifield&x=20&y=17</A> <P>actually his career as a dancer has a bit in common with michael's...just a bit. <P>and if these images were all i had to go on, i prefer maggie's! (are YOURS 60,000 pounds + VAT, maggie?)<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 08, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 5:04 am 

french artists, french dancers at Imagidanse<BR>click on the bronze dancer sculpture on the left:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.imagidanse.com/english/homeframe.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.imagidanse.com/english/homeframe.html</A> <P>the bronzes are by damien hermellin.<P> Image <P>i wonder if this photograph of kaori nakamura is completely unrelated...probably just coincidence that i chanced across it on the same day...<P> Image <P> <P>this photo was found at Dee Avila's site at zing! the photographer is not identified.<P>at imagidanse there is also an appreciation of serge peretti, dancer (who painted), 1905 - 1997, in "This Month's Exhibition" (3rd icon from the bottom).<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 5:37 am 

Grace, you're a wizard! Thank-you for posting those two sites. I enjoyed viewing them. I have never seen either of those two artist's works, and they are lovely. I particularly liked the French artist's sculptures, although I couldn't get a zoom for good close-up of detail. Thank-you Michael and Grace for your compliments. They are always the most meaningful to me coming from dance people. Now if Dame Blandine would just return my phone calls.......<BR>Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 7:04 pm 

I just had a ballerina friend over and she just marveled at the photo of the sculpture. She said you can tell that a dancer created it; a non-dancer would not have been able to capture all the subtleties.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 8:00 pm 

Image <BR>this detail of this "lost wax" bronze by john w. keller is rather nice - although personally i'm not partial to the sculpture as a whole, but i thought you might like to see it.<P>it's from this site:http://www.harrison-keller.com/reed.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 8:06 pm 

Image the courtship dance of the loon, in bronze, titled "Spring Ballet" by Dr. John McKeller, from this website: <A HREF="http://www.newsom.com/mckellar/ballet.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newsom.com/mckellar/ballet.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 4:30 am 

I'm familiar with Dr. Mckellar, we do the Loveland "Sculpture in the Park" show and share the same tent. It's the largest juried outdoor sculpture show in the country and is quite an event. There are hundreds of exhibiting sculptors, and it's very competitive to get accepted. I still think it's easier than a dance audition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 4:34 am 

"I'm familiar with Dr. Mckellar, we do the Loveland "Sculpture in the Park" show and share the same tent." - am i GOOD, or WHAT?! Image<P>...hang on...you DO mean the same DISPLAY tent - don't you? Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 6:02 pm 

by "a former ballet dancer, Elisabeth Carpaccio Trent"<P> Image <BR>her site: <A HREF="http://www.etc-etc-etc.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.etc-etc-etc.com/</A> <BR>-cute name, eh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 9:01 pm 

Grace,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...hang on...you DO mean the same DISPLAY tent - don't you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Be careful what you ask...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 3:05 am 

Same tent, ha-ha. These *display* tents hold about 80 sculptors! Some of Elizabeth's sculptures are very nice. Casting in resin makes them affordable for many people. I don't do resin casting myself, as I prefer the quality of bronze. You really are good, Grace. I often search for various sculptors on the net, I've never found some of these you pull up.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited May 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 3:49 pm 

just out of curiosity ...<P>- and a desire to provide a good service to our readers - if ANYONE is having trouble with this thread, in the sense that it took TOO LONG TO LOAD? (in which case you probably won't ever get to see this message! Image ), <P>or in any other sense, please would you email me by using the little whizzing envelope, or contact azlan by clicking on 'contact us' down the bottom.<P>that would be MUCH appreciated feedback, as we are trying to ascertain how far we can push this 'multiple image' business, without giving people problems: THANKS in advance!<P>for that reason, we will close this thread soon and start another, just to be on the safe side. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 6:43 pm 

Maggie, Grace *is* good. Quite amazing actually.<P>You also mentioned resin vs bronze sculptures. Can I ask you how many different types of materials and/or methods are used in sculpting? What are the relative differences between them?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next