All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ravinia Festival
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:05 pm 

Quote:
Centennial summer: 100 years of Ravinia

By WYNNE DELACOMA
The Chicago Sun-Times
May 30, 2004

When he opened Ravinia Park, "the superior amusement park'' on 36 bucolic acres bisected by his railroad's tracks just south of Highland Park, on Aug. 15, 1904, he was trying to tempt more customers to ride his rails.
more

Last edited by kurinuku on Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 100 Years of Ravinia Park
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:06 pm 

Quote:
Great performances, and inherent drama at their very core

By HEDY WEISS
The Chicago Sun-Times
May 30, 2004

Music has always been the star attraction at Ravinia, but the festival has an impressive history of dance and theater that reaches all the way back to its earliest days.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 100 Years of Ravinia Park
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:08 pm 

Quote:
Theater, dance, cabaret boast sparkling repertoires

By HEDY WEISS
The Chicago Sun-Times
June 4, 2004

Here are some suggestions for Ravinia-goers who like to stray a bit from the classical repertoire, and want to add some musical theater, dance and cabaret to their summertime schedule: ...
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:33 pm 

Quote:
Mahoney does Sondheim
by HEDY WEISS for the Chicago Sun-Times

The Ravinia Festival's A-team - Patti Lupone, Audra MacDonald and Michael Cerveris - will be returning this summer for a staged concert version of "Anyone Can Whistle," the fifth installment of the "Sondheim 75" project.

published: May 31, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Ravinia to present Morris' premiere in Millennium Park

The most high-profile dance concert of this summer's Ravinia Festival - the Mark Morris Dance Group in the Chicago premiere of the full-length "L'Allegro, Il Penseroso ed il Moderato" - will take place way "off-campus."

published: June 3, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:26 pm 

San Francisco Ballet danced at Ravinia quite a few times when I was with the company (1972-1985). I loved dancing at this festival. We would ride the train from downtown Chicago out to the venue. The audiences were enthusiasic and wonderful. This was, IMO, one of the most enjoyable outdoor festivals for which we ever performed . Chicago loves the arts! Does SFB dance there regularly anymore? Too bad if they don't!

Last edited by Gina Ness on Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:37 am 

Gina, thanks for the memories! No, I don't think SFB does Ravinia anymore. What was it like?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:09 pm 

Dean and I were there in 1984 and saw multiple SFB programs. We enjoyed the entire experience. It's an outdoor venue with a large, covered mainstage area, lawn dinners, etc. The weather is a bit muggy (when not outright thunderstorming), but that, too, is part of the charm. We have to be in Chicago in mid-August for an ABA workshop, and I'm currently debating whether I want to go to the pops concert that happens to be on offer that weekend....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:16 pm 

I enjoyed that warm, muggy weather! Ravinia is very park-like, with beautiful landscaping and trees. I remember the fragrance of honeysuckle and hydrangias floating through the air in the evenings, and lots of candlelight... Beautiful homes surround the park, which seems a bit unusual to me. It really feels like a park set right in the middle of a lovely neighborhood. I just liked Chicago in general. Of course, I wasn't there in the middle of winter, which I imagine must be pretty miserable! The museums are fabulous (Chicago Art Institute...WOW!) and I remember really good restaurants. I remember the audience being very warm, welcoming and enthusiastic. We also danced several times at the Blossom Festival in Ohio and at Wolftrap in Washington D.C. But, I liked Ravinia the most... :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:15 am 

Quote:
Side by side with Sondheim

Fast forward almost three decades to 2000 as Price, still bedazzled by Sondheim's work, became a crucial part of the Ravinia Festival's five-year "Sondheim 75" project that began with an elaborate staged concert version of "Sweeney Todd," and, in subsequent seasons, has presented "A Little Night Music," "Passion" and "Sunday in the Park with George."

published: August 19, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:19 am 

Quote:
Ravinia, Harris plan packed weekend

There is the staged concert of Stephen Sondheim's "Anyone Can Whistle" in the pavilion on Friday and Saturday nights. There are four performances, Friday through Sunday, by the Mark Morris Dance Group in Morris' full-length work "L'allegro, il penseros ed il moderato" at the "off-campus" downtown Harris Theater for Music and Dance in Millennium Park.

published: August 25, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail