public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maggie Parker's Ballet Sculpture
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 10:01 pm 

Image <BR> Image Image <P> Image Image <P>Our CD member MAGGIE WROTE:<P>"Grace, et al, at long last, except for some minor adjustments, my web-page is (nearly)<BR>complete. Visitors welcome!"<BR> <A HREF="http://www.maggieparkersculpture.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.maggieparkersculpture.com</A><BR> <BR>for previous dance sculpture threads please see:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000028.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000028.html</A> (lots of lovely photographs, so allow time for the page to load)...and...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000038.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000038.html</A> (more technical information)<P>Thanks, Maggie! i think "To the Light" is still my favorite, though! Image<P> Image <BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited June 21, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Maggie Parker's Ballet Sculpture
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 9:15 am 

Maggie Hi!<BR>It's really great. I think I'll just have to add one to my collection one day.<P>You know I've never seen a truly beautiful sculpture of Terpsichore, one that captured the pure essence of dance, as I believe yours do.<BR>Maybe you could create it!<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited June 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:36 pm 

Absolutely fabulous! Maggie Parker's is a wonderful site. Now, I know where to go for my next acquisition. My favorite is Aurora. Can one of the administrators clip the photo of Aurora for us to view?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:50 pm 

Thank-you very much, Michael! How do you picture her? (Terpsichore) There will be a new work introduced on the site in late July, maybe she matches up. Give me some description and maybe I'll do it. Also, in light of the Martha Graham issue, I have felt compelled to create more Graham inspired pieces. One is in progress now.<P>Albrecht, I don't see why Aurora couldn't be posted. Grace? Help for the technically challenged? Moi.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited June 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:52 pm 

Here is Aurora for all to enjoy:<P> Image <P><BR>Wonderful job, Maggie. And is that you in the About-the-Artist page? Lovely photo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 2:51 pm 

this thread is going to take forever to load ...but there's a new one that wasn't there a few days ago. i have to add this here...<P> Image i also like the male one, maggie. and i like the one of elisa too - the only reason i didn't pick that one out, to put here, is because the image doesn't seem to have reproduced QUITE as clearly as the others. <P>i went back to the site because i couldn't work out how everyone above seems to know the names of the pieces!!! that WAS a good idea: adding the names! thanks! i can see that's what the space was intended for, all along. Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited June 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 4:52 pm 

Maggie!<P>Terpsichore is male.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 5:12 pm 

Michael, Au contraire! ALL the classic muses are female. But I can certainly create a male Terpsichore. And why not!<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited June 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 5:19 pm 

You got it!<P>And I'm sure: off the top of my head, I've seen representations of Terpsichore as a male in French culture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 5:22 pm 

I have to admit that I haven't seen a production of Banlanchine's 'Apollo' where Terpsichore is a fella.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 6:03 pm 

Okay, you knew this was coming! How much would it cost to create a life-size sculpture of my favorite ballerina on the planet? Kimberly Glasco stands 5 foot 5 and a half! <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 1:32 am 

Ha! Ha! ( perhaps miss Glasco could bring out her own range of dolls - The Kimberley Doll)<P>Stuart, I think it's time the "Troc's" did it! (Apollo)<P>My whole point is must the image of dance still be dominantly female - why can't a muse have a masuline form?<P>Equal rights for male dancers! <P>Did anyone else notice that all the images posted here are female and Maggie HAS created some works using the male form, albeit a minority. no wonder we still find it difficult to get boys in ballet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 2:35 am 

Actually Stuart, Balanchine left a whole lot out of the story of Apollo; he cut out Hyacinthus altogether.(check out Robert Graves', The Greek Myths). It was one of the greatest tragedies in his life. Cop-out, Mr B.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 2:54 am 

michael M: give me a break! Image<P>when i started this thread, there WEREN'T any male sculptures at maggie's site! and now that she's added more photos, there's still only 1 ...<P>and michael G: it would be COLD, you know...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 3:10 am 

Right on MM. I agree with you. I have several reasons (excuses!) A primary one is finding a good male dancer who is willing/has the time to model for me. There are a few around here, but they in such demand that they are very busy. O.K., That's a pretty weak excuse. Michael, why don't you send me pictures and I'll use YOU!

Profile E-mail