public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance and food
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:14 pm 

Our favorite two subjects:

Quote:
Kitchen choreography

Robert Taylor, Contra Costa Times

San Francisco's Linda Hymes is able to court the classical without falling into a routine. As a student at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu cooking school in London, for instance, the former ballet dancer once arranged anchovies on a dish to appear as if they were dancing. She went on to a career in the ******* and recently published her first cookbook, "The Dancing Gourmet."

"This is not 'diet food,' Hymes says. "I have diet cookbooks. I never open them."
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance and food
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:46 pm 

O.k. Anchovies and dance. I'll bite.

"The fish slapping dance was in fact first invented in the form of a martial art in Alaska in about 50,000 BC. Warring tribes of Eskimos would attack one-another with frozen fish, depending upon the kind of fish, the frozen animal could inflict much pain on one's enemy, a well trained Ngaburaha (Eskimo form of Samurai), could indeed fell an untrained opponent with a simple frozen trout."

MORE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:35 pm 

Speaking of fish slapping dances...I posted this link in another thread, I think, but this seems like an appropriate place for it as well:

Fish Slapping Dance (Monty Python version)

Scroll down a bit and click on FISH.AVI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:20 pm 
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:43 pm 

I watched that one, and for some reason my sound icon has disappeared, so I watched it in silence. Yet I could hear the words perfectly in my head. I must have seen that sketch 10 ti...11 t...no, 12 times, at least.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:59 pm 

If only conflicts in the world were settled by dancing:

Quote:
Shoptalk: I'll have what he's having
Tim Nudd, Adweek

Here's how things get settled in Texas: Deli chain creates TV spot to tout sponsorship of television program. Ad agency creates similar spot for restaurant chain. Deli gets mad at restaurant. Deli challenges restaurant to a "dance-off."

It's happening right now in Austin. A Chili's ad by GSD&M looks a lot like a spot done in-house by Schlotzsky's for PBS' Austin City Limits. Both feature local musician John Pointer perform ing in a "beat-box" style. And yes, Schlotzsky's has now challenged Chili's to a dance-off. (If Chili's wins, it's "off the hook.") "We turned to dancing because it was something attorneys couldn't be involved in," Schlotzsky's president and CEO John C. Wooley tells Shoptalk.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:45 am 

From the San Francisco Chronicle,

Quote:
'Blue Ballet' squash a lasting sweet treat

Laramie Treviño
Saturday, May 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Blue Ballet' is a star performer that doesn't need to dress up in a tutu to draw praise from admirers.
Click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:11 pm 

A big feature on Denis Nahat, AD of Ballet San Jose:

Quote:
Ballet Gourmet

COOKING AND CHOREOGRAPHY KEEP DENNIS NAHAT ON HIS TOES AS HE DIRECTS CARE AND FEEDING OF SAN JOSE'S DANCE TROUPE

By Carolyn Jung
San Jose Mercury News

This is a portrait of an artist -- on stage and in the *******. <a href=http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/10794560.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]