public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guerilla Dance - Backstage Trench Wars
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 2:05 am 

Well, that brings up any number of questions, all of which I could reply to in a witty, perceptive, and cogent manner, if only I were awake. . . .<P>First, let's accept from the start that, even in the best of circumstances, freak accidents can happen (that's why they're called "freak" accidents).<P>The question, then, is how we achieve the best of circumstances.<P>Pyrotechnics should only be designed and built by a licensed pyrotechnician (these people know how to "shape" the charges so that the amount of flash and smoke is consistent and so that no flaming little pieces of debris come hurtling out). This is not just a good idea; it's the law (about a year and a half ago, a director told me, "I've never heard of such a thing." Of course he hadn't; there are large elements of nuclear biophysics that <I>I've</I> never heard of -- because I've never researched nuclear biophysics.)<P>I'll admit that I've violated this law, in cases where I knew that the company would proceed anyway, with an operator who would be less safety-conscious than I; nevertheless, it's a good law, and it exists for a reason. <P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 9:45 am 

This one involves the audience in guerilla dance -- a theater in which audience members have to contend with trip hazards formed by lights and cabling on the floor, a lack of ventilation leading to heat and odor build-up, and the attentions of an aggressive ballet/modern/lap dancer.<P>But, everyone was happy. Happy to have a venue to host an event that they wouldn't be able to otherwise without this theater.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:24 pm 

Azlan - now you have to return the favor. What was the venue?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:21 pm 

Oh, yikes! I'm already in the operator's black book for something else, so I will have to refrain... but if you email me, I'll tell you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:18 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>the attentions of an aggressive ballet/modern/lap dancer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know my curiosity is up! heaven's what a description! <P>Can lap dancers trip on lighting cable?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:27 pm 

So, Babs, I hear it's not uncommon for lighting designers to "accidentally trip" on lights in uncooperative venues to get them to point in the right direction...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:16 am 

Good grief, who talked?

Profile E-mail