public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Safety in dance performances
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:10 am 

Quote:
theatres that can demonstrate that they are using fog according to them should be able to alleviate performers' and crew members' concerns, as well as protect their health.
The cynic in me suspects that the performers' and stagehands' willingness to accept this is inversely proportional to how close they are to contract negotiation time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:53 pm 

I've heard some inside grumbling from the SF Opera about this whole thing. I don't know any details and I won't write about unconfirmed rumors, but I do agree with Salzberg about proximity to contract negotiations.

I believe the contract is up for negotiation next year and they recently fired their labor relations manager. I think we should watch this space, so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:33 pm 

A hearing loss thermometer at the CDC:

Hearing loss thermometer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:54 pm 

Thanks, Matthew - that was very enlightening, and scary. I guess in addition to stuffing Kleenex in my ears at most movies, I'd better start wearing ear plugs out on the street.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:01 pm 

That's a very interesting website, Matthew. I was intrigued that in searching around that website they spelled "tinnitus" as "tinnutus"...I have never seen that spelling before.

I did a search at the website and for "tinnitus" there are 27 documents. However, for "tinnutus" there are only two. I think someone typoed wrongly.

We have discussed in the Studio Forum in a couple of threads the ill effects of loud noise in dance class and performance and related physical activities like aerobics class and at the gym.

I have complained in movie theaters, and they will turn the sound down. If they don't you can get a refund within the first 20 minutes of the film. The coming attractions are always played at a louder level than the featured film. The American Tinnitus Association and other organizations are trying to get standards set for how loud the volume can be.

ok......back to fog machines.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:20 am 

gaeadea posted, in the "Issues" forum:

========================================
Study Shows Smoke and Fog Harm Actors
Quote:
NEW YORK (Backstage) - A British Columbia study of smoke and fog used in theater and film productions shows that actors and crew suffered respiratory problems as a result of exposure to the special effects.
The study -- called "Atmospheric Effects in the Entertainment Industry: Constituents, Exposures, and Health Effects" -- was prepared by the University of British Columbia's School of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. The school conducted the study at the request of Safety and Health in Arts, Production, and Entertainment (SHAPE), a safety-and-health association for the performing arts and motion picture industry in British Columbia.
click here for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:47 pm 

I thought the use of mineral oil was already banned in most states in the US.

And I also wonder about AGMA's rules...what we consider a hazer isn't a water product, is it? They seem to be status quo in many performances now (just saw one in use last week at a performance with AGMA dancers) - or does it constitute hazard pay?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:19 pm 

Most modern hazers and foggers use a water and glycol mixture.

A word here about "LD50".

A substance's LD50 rating is the dosage at which it would cause fatalities in 50% of the test subjects ("LD" stands for "lethal dose", which is not a Mel Gibson movie).

The LD50 of glycol is less than that of water.

<small>[ 15 April 2003, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:19 pm 

We didn't get hazard pay for fog, but if you did not want to be in the scene that used it you were allowed out. I don't know if that has changed since I was in AGMA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:03 am 

Technical Talk
From The Stage

Over the last ten years the face of technical theatre in this country has changed beyond all recognition. Not only has new kit been introduced - the ubiquitous nodding buckets, Wisiwig and Autocad, to name but three - but new ways of working. We now have health and safety to shape our working lives. Ten years ago the concept of working within the proposed European Directives was an anathema and a bit of a joke.

Today we all work in line with those directives. Our working week is shaped by the Working Time Regulations, monitored by risk assessments and protected by a raft of law from RIDOR to COHSE. Of course, we all know this has been for the better. Hasn't it?

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:32 am 

It would be great to have a forum like this in the US, but I don't know who could get such a thing rolling. IATSE would probably be uninterested.

Profile E-mail