public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Technical Requirements as webpages
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2000 5:55 am 

this seems to be a new trend - for dance company sites to have their technical requirements permanently up as part of their website.<P>here is one example from PILOBOLUS:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pilobolus.com/tech.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pilobolus.com/tech.htm</A> <P>browsing through is not a bad way for one to become more aware of what goes on backstage.....<P>notice that in this case, the sponsor must provide (amongst many other things):-<BR>Assorted fresh vegetable plate with dip <BR>Assorted fresh fruit plate <P> Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Technical Requirements as webpages
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2000 2:51 pm 

Well, at least they didn't go so far as to ask for M&M candies with one color totally removed from the bowl - like rock band Van Halen did. Image<P>It was interesting to try to take our show on the road this past winter - we were stopped only by a lot of snow avalances - and was the first time I'd ever tried. While travel arrangements and all were kind of a pain (my cohort took care of most of it) it was definitely the tech stuff we were winging it on. <P>We had many parts of our ducks in a row, but the theater provided us with weird diagrams, so it was a little sketchy. It would be nice if theaters put their information up on their websites too.<P>I'm going to go check for more technical needs lists like the Pilobilus one now...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2000 3:19 pm 

Prisanh, I thought your boyfriend does all this stuff for you... Image<P>But seriously, this tech requirements page by Pilobolus is very interesting. I've never seen anything like it on a website. But it is really convenient, isn't it, especially for a company that tours a lot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2000 3:26 pm 

And, oh, I'm not sure how relevant this is but here is a thread in which we discussed anxious moments backstage, the need for coordination between the touring company and the venue, and crazy French desserts (not M&Ms but far worse):

Ancient Moments Backstage

(Edited by salzberg to fix link)

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 12:46: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:11 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, at least they didn't go so far as to ask for M&M candies with one color totally removed from the bowl- like rock band Van Halen did<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, there's a valid reason for seemingly bizarre rider requirements like this. If the presenter calls up and complains about having to remove all the brown M&M's, at least you know that s/he's probably read the <I>rest</I> of the rider, too.<P>. . .Of course, sometimes it's just the artist being an airhose. . . .<P><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>NEW URL: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:26 pm 

I get it, salzberg!<P>So, those artists are not really crazy after all...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 2:31 am 

Whoa!<P>I never said they weren't crazy!<P>Actually, the technical riders aren't composed by the artists, in most cases, although obviously the Artistic Director may have input.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR></A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 3:13 pm 

Just checking to see if *you* were reading every line, salzberg. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 1:36 pm 

In the exciting world of booking your favorite dance company, we seem to be (we being the dance companies) being encouraged to set our web sites up so that presenters can easily decide whether they should ever talk to us in person. (Can you tell I have issue?!?)<P>But, in reality, I know I aprreciate it when a theater has their tech info readily available to me when I can't raise anyone on the telephone between Acts I and II on the 2nd show of the day. I am sure that a TD would appreciate my tech requirements being available when I am spending the weekend in a room that has a bed that still accepts coins - and the "front desk" really should be called "front flat area under the domain of Billy Bob Jim Bo Pete".<P>I've asked my company to allow a place on the web site for such tech requirements, but so far no one sees the need.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 8:19 pm 

LOL, BabsLight! Re: "a bed that still accepts coins"<P>I think more and more companies are putting up their tech requirements online. I recently spoke to an AD whose company is in the process of doing that. And this company also has requirements for vegetables with dips and sandwich meats. So, it's not so crazy afterall, grace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 4:47 am 

Replies to a couple of earlier messages:<P>Grace, the artists' hunger is usually well taken-care of, at least in the case of major rock tours such as Van Halen (the ones who mandated that the brown M&M's be removed from the mix). All such riders carry detailed requirements for catering -- food to be provided to performers and crew. This is called "craft services" (since it's food, maybe "Kraft services" would have been better). Some of the companies have truly clever names; if you watch movies until the credits are over, you may have seen a listing for a company called "The Cast Supper".<P>Barb, I agree that theaters' posting their tech info online would be a big help, but even more, I wish to G-d that the information they furnish -- whether online or in hard copy) was *accurate* ("Oh, we replaced that console 3 years ago!") and complete. At Cullen Performance Hall in Houston, we were nearly obsessive about this; we had a 12-page information packet with information about the theater as well as maps and info on nearby banks, laundromats, restaurants, theatrical and hardware suppliers, etc.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 5:10 am 

With people using websites to promote their performing companies I guess it only makes sense to provide the rider or tech information as part or the other information. The food part seems somewhat new to me for the dance world, although I've been out of the performing arena for so long. When I produced a few local productions showcasing some regional dance companies in one venue, I did something I learned from the late Bill Graham, the music promoter. Bill gave me a birthday party backstage when I was married to a musician, and we were on the road. When I set up the dressing rooms for the various dance companies at my shows, I provided little toys and favors in addition to food. Lots of them. The dancers were delighted and had lots of fun during the "hurry up and wait" periods playing paddle-ball and working puzzles and playing with all the silly little toys. Yes, they were adults.<BR>I just thought it would be fun to add a little extra to the technical requirements a la rock and roll. Maybe more dance companies are doing that now. <BR>Also something often missed is directions to navigate the rabbit warrens of many theaters. You could get lost for years in some of them. That's probably where some of those russian dancers that defected and were never heard from again are.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited July 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 4:26 pm 

Jeff, amen, brother! Paperwork being kept up, whether it is online or in the mail, needs to be kept up to date.<P>I would prefer that the following phrases be eliminated:<P>"Well, what version of the tech packet were you sent?" (Self mumbling response to this question is always - 'The ONLY version I was shown, Wrench For Brains' - and that's such a rude way to start the week.<P>"Yeah, I know it says we got it...but I been here ten years, and I ain't never seen 'em."<P>"We just updated those last year! A workstudy student from playwriting did it for us" (one of my personal favorites...this one - I couldn't help myself - was followed by the classic coffee spit/spray)<P><BR>As to the food for the dancers, don't look on it so much as MEAL TIME for them in that rider. Chances are that with that two day in, they are working all afternoon before the show, and won't get a chance to get out and get food. So having it at the theatre allows them that much more down time prior to the show.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:47 pm 

Maggie,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I provided little toys and favors in addition to food<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Great, great idea! It diffuses so much of the nervous energy backstage.<P>And, I too am impressed by Bill Graham throwing you a birthday party.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:59 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>And, I too am impressed by Bill Graham throwing you a birthday party.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too! Just for the record, I've never had a Christian Evangelist throw a party for me.

Profile E-mail