public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Becoming Jaded
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:14 am 

I puzzle at <I>most</I> of the things critics say about lighting. For example, what does "effective" mean?<P>There's a local theatre critic who's lately hit upon the word "subtle" in regards to lighting; he's used it at least twice in the last two weeks. I'm sure he intends for it to be a compliment, but it's meaningless, as he never comments upon whether or not the subtlety was appropriate to the play -- often, it's not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:54 am 

Azlan:<P>You and your companion must develop a means of non-verbal communication. One companion with whom I formerly attended performances had a unique solution: when faced with the need to express herself, she would simply grab hold of my arm. The depth to which she sank her nails into it expressed the degree of restraint she was exerting to try not to laugh, cry, shout or leave.<P>Marie: If you have already accessed the Autobahn, all I can say is "Auf Wiedersehn Schatzie; und steig ab."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:14 am 

So, do you think Nutcracker season brings out even more jade?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:06 am 

I have discovered the pleasure of viewing multiple casts of children from the school I work for. I suppose it's a little like being a parent, because I know these kids so well, but there are 150 that I'm interested in not just one or two. The admin support for productions like these is highly demanding so we've all been working just a little harder, because of it. And I think we all get thru it by rolling our eyes and sighing, "Well, you know, it's Nutcracker..." I roll my eyes in stores everytime I hear Nutcracker music, but the Snow music still gives me chills (probably because I never did that part).<P>So to answer the question...yes...and,no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 10:16 am 

Running the show with the darlings has its own set of "special needs." "Jaded" grew out of REHEARSING five different casts of thIRty or so each for the same season. Even then, though, there were moments that made it worthwhile. One instance:<P>In the midst of a somewhat tense all-day rehearsal; now into the third cast, with all the other youngsters sitting and watching; (and most of their parents sitting on the observation level wondering if I would make it through the afternoon without exploding). A total of perhaps 150 in the studio area - from Bon Bons to Snowflakes.<P>The third cast could NOT get the counts right. (Nothing worse than Soldiers marching in counterpoint). Could not turn at the same time; or point their guns in the correct direction. (Tension mounting)<P>When in the far, back, right-hand corner, the littlest of the first cast soldiers (approx. 5 yrs old), stood up from her group and began to walk slowly across the back of the room. (This, after several admonitions to everyone else to sit still and be quiet). As she progressed, more and more people became aware of her, and the proverbial "hush" fell over the room - no one knowing what I might do. <P>Reaching the far back left-hand corner, she turned and progressed toward the front of the studio - this taking her THROUGH the current batch of 21 soldiers lined up to march. Then, reaching the front left-hand corner, she turned and headed for me, sitting in the middle. By now, I had ALL of the silence I had asked for all day.<P>Upon reaching my chair, she very directly seated herself on my lap, looked up with a pained expression and said: "Mr. _____, my head hurts." (After several hours of rehearsal, so did mine, so I could sympathize.) I asked: "Well, _________, why does your head hurt." <P>After a momentary pause, thinking, she answered; "Because my mommy made my bun too tight." <P>The entire room went into hysterics, and after finding a Snowflake to help loosen her bun, we continued. <P>So now, whenever I see myself or anyone else taking what we do TOO seriously, I think back to that moment. Some people may think it is being jaded. What it really boils down to, though, is that "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE A BUN THAT'S TOO TIGHT."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 11:43 am 

Brilliant!<P>Out of the mouths of babes....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:30 pm 

The project I just finished looked so beautiful onstage, that I was giggling. I guess I'm not as jaded as I thought.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:17 am 

Marie, et. al.<P>Perhaps George Bernard Shaw sums it up:<P>"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:20 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by LMCtech:
If I have to tell you something more than twice (like "hang up your clothes"), I lose a lot of respect for you as a person, though not necessarily as a performer.
Whenever I'm teaching, or dealing with interns, I tell them, "You don't have to like the performers personally, but you have to respect what they do."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:26 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by Marie:
Stage whispering to my friend (who is a critic) I'M SURE GLAD IT'S NOT MY JOB TO REVIEW THIS SHOW.
A local theatre recently did a perfectly dreadful production of A Classic American Musical. The production was thoroughly slammed by our local theatre critic, causing much bitterness and resentment at the theatre. About a week later, I attended the show and afterward felt compelled to email the critic and take him severely to task for his review -- he had, after all, been much too kind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:28 am 

What was the context Tom - amateur, pro, somewhere between?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:32 am 

Amateur...in every sense of the word.