public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Becoming Jaded
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:01 pm 

I like to think of myself as the youngster in the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes."<P>You know, in the midst of everyone clamoring about the beauty and fashion sense - the one that says "But he's not wearing any clothes."<P>However, please note: Just because the emperor (or empress) isn't wearing an elegant outfit, it doesn't mean that I've lost interest. In fact, it may have opened a whole new avenue of thought!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:50 pm 

Excellent. That is exactly my position as well. I just couldn't express it as clearly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:05 pm 

Speaking as someone who was born jaded, what do you mean by a "whole new avenue of thought!" wordfox? Lately I have thought about the following: <P>Standing up and cupping my hands over my mouth and howling "BOO! BOO!" <P>Applauding loudly well before the piece is finished to try and force an ending. <P>Stage whispering to my friend (who is a critic) I'M SURE GLAD IT'S NOT MY JOB TO REVIEW THIS SHOW.<P>Of course I would never do any of the above, I just like to think about it during the show, it keeps my mind occupied when what's on stage doesn't and it kills time until I can clap politely, grit my teeth and leave.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:58 pm 

I have a theory about this whole thing. If one earns at living in the arts, you're going to have a whole different relationship to dance/arts than if it's a pastime, hobby, love, avocation, therapy, or some such. (Hopefully if it's your career, you will love it, obviously) Just like if you are married to someone, you're going to have different relationship than if you're dating, or even living together. You know what I mean? You're going to look at it with different eyes. Not better, not worse, just different. What you have "at stake", what you have invested, what you have experienced, all influence the relationship, "what color glasses" you view it with, so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:59 pm 

Marie:<P>You make a right turn at Jaded Avenue and proceed full speed to wherever your thoughts take you. <P>Sometimes, the joy of the jaded ride is far greater than the signage along the way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:01 pm 

Marie, in the middle of a performance Satuday night, at a volume just above a whisper, I sighed, "It's going to be a long night." My companion shushed me. The President of the Board of the ballet company sat a mere two seats away from us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:47 pm 

Wordfox, what do you mean avenue, I hit the Jaded Autobahn a while back and I don't see myself getting off any time soon... <P>Azlan, you've got to learn to bring a pen with you so that you can write those kind of things down on the program instead of saying them out loud.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:55 pm 

And if you keep a straight face while writing, people will interpret this as scholarly note taking for a review, perhaps, or some other literary undertaking...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:36 am 

. . .And for gawd's sake, Azlan, remember to take the program <I>with</I> you.<P>Jeff, who learned the hard way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:14 am 

Once when I was house managing for a production of Mack & Mabel, I came across a program in which someone had scrawled to their companion, "Do you really think this is better than 'Oklahoma'?"<P>I thought it was hilarious, but I bet the director would not have thought so if she was the one who found the program.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 9:24 am 

Speaking of programs. I can usually guage how good a performance is based on the amount of time I spend reading the program during it. If I read every bio until I have it memorized, it was not a good show.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:20 am 

That's why I always try to make my bios amusing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:21 pm 

Thank you. As a bio reader I appreciate that. I hate bios that are simply a list of every place someone went to school or worked. Surely they have more to say than just that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:26 pm 

Jeffrey E. Salzberg has been lighting theatre, ballet, and modern dance troupes for over 25 years, and is thinking of making a career out of it. He recently lit a new ballet featuring New York City Ballet principal dancer Peter Boal. The New York Times said that the lighting for this production was "ingeniously atmospheric." Mr. Salzberg's parents are still hoping that some day he'll get a <I>real</I> job.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:26 pm 

Okay, when is lighting NOT atmospheric?

Profile E-mail