public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rosin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 3:45 pm 

Rosin....does anyone look at the sheet of warnings that come with a new box of rosin?<P>Frankly, after reading through one once, I have never been able to watch dancers rolling their feet in it (sans shoes or tights) without shuddering. <P>Has anyone ever heard of it being a cause for trouble down the road?<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rosin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:33 pm 

I'm not sure how to answer this in a delicate manner.<P>I once. . .er. . .answered a call of nature immediately after loading a rosin box.<P>I will never do that again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:37 pm 

I have only used rosin on the platforms of my pointe shoes - <P>isn't it also used by violinists - or am I thinking of something else?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:59 pm 

Someone please fill me in on the dangers of rosin. I have never heard of this, but I never pick up a chunk and sucked on it or stood over it inhaling deeply either. Like Basheva, I only ever stomped around in it...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:29 am 

It's very sticky and unpleasant feeling.<P>It's also completely unnecessary on a properly-maintained dance floor.<P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>This Day in Arts History: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg/arthist.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg/arthist.htm</A><BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited February 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:16 pm 

I have not looked at a sheet of warnings that come with a box of rosin, but I can offer the following:<P>Rosin is a substance similar to talcum powder, resin and chalk, all used to provide a drier grip (and in some circumstances, reduce the chance of blistering). <P>Rosin is not only used on the shoes of ballet dancers, but is also used by baseball pitchers and bowlers. It provides the bowler a non-slip grip on the ball without actually transfering the substance to the ball.<P>Its merits in baseball are more vague. Some think it is a mental crutch for pitchers. Actually, I learned that its use started in baseball back in the early years when only a few baseballs were used. As a baseball becomes slicker with age, the rosin helped the ball stick better to the hand and even help produce more spin on a curve or slider. <P>There are instances of violin players developing allergies to rosin. Remember, this is a substance that breaks up into particulates, and the violinist has these tiny particles very close to his face. Much in the same way, caution is advised about using talcum near a baby's face, allowing clouds of it to harm his lungs, it would seem that rosin in close proximity to the face could be harmful.<P>However, while rosin has not received much attention as a harmful substance, I truly hope that the dangers of the use of talcum powder are understood by all dancers. I have watched numbers of dancers, particularly when making many changes in a performance and having to strip down, rub their legs with talcum or pour it into their tights, etc. to reduce stickiness. Dancers must keep talcum out of their tights! This is a known (not speculated!) contributor to ovarian cancer (a particularly deadly cancer) by such mainstream organizations as the American Cancer Society.<P>If you see another dancer using it this way, don't hesitate to advise them. <p>[This message has been edited by Christina (edited February 21, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 1:52 pm 

I think that rosin is also used by the batters in baseball isn't it? That would be close to the face, too. And, it seems like the players are always putting their hands to their faces to wipe away sweat, imaginary flying insects (smile), ajusting their caps, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:51 pm 

AFAIK, rosin (AKA resin) is made from the sap of pine trees. I use it on my hands and feet when I am doing static or swinging trapeze; it really sticks you to the bar and/or your partner. Flying trapeze calls for chalk though; you wouldn't want to stick to the bar at the moment of release :-). In spite of the vast quatities that I have used, the only problem I have had is when it gets in your eyes. It don't half burn! Much, much worse than smoke. Big tip for trapeze artists; never wear a black outfit when doing doubles. It shows your<BR>partners handprints a treat and they are generally in some quite personal places!

Profile E-mail