public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New and renovated venues
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:51 pm 

<B>Festival Hall - The people's palace.</B><BR>In May the Festival Hall celebrates 50 years of music making.' BY GEOFF BROWN in The Times.<P>They talk about the very dry acoustic. I thought that this had been ameliorated by the use of electronic reverberators. Certainly for a long time the ushers refused to allow people into the hall with their coats as they were another sound absorber.<BR> With the new generation of dance venues in London, I think we shall see little ballet in the RFH in future, apart from some sort of Christmas show. There are no wings in this concert hall and dancers have to go straight down steps at the sides. For audiences the seats immediately behind one another often made for bad sight-lines. <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-118879,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Now read the article</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 7:27 am 

A renovation in Chicagoland:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Historic theater poised for debut<P>Dave Mann, Chicago Daily Herald<P>Workers Friday were putting one of the finishing touches - installing the chairs - on the transformation of a historic theater in Crystal Lake into its latest incarnation, the Raue Center for the Arts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cdh/20010804/lo/historic_theater_poised_for_debut_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:45 am 

Another, in Boston:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Emerson Majestic renovations to begin<P>T.J. Medrek, Boston Herald<P>The Majestic will be closed from late November until late January as part of an ongoing restoration project that will keep First Night from using the space this year as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/hot508252001.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:16 am 

Quote:
Rags to riches for Odd Fellows
Artists help transform an old relic into a bustling arts center

Carl Nolte, SF Chronicle

Two years ago, the historic Odd Fellows building at Seventh and Market streets in San Francisco was moribund, a place out of the past that had no future.
<a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/09/28/BA239354.DTL target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:21 am 

I put this in the Managing Dance Forum, mostly because it seemed to open up the possibilities for small dance companies to perform - but I guess it could go in here too...

From the Houston Chronicle:

It's down to the wire for new Zilkha Hall
By CLIFFORD PUGH

Quote:
It looks like another sprint to the finish line as construction crews race to complete the 500-seat theater in time for Friday's public opening.

Just five months ago, the complex's 2,650-seat Sarofim Hall opened amid the noise of construction that continued well past opening day.

.....Franks said that between 30 and 40 groups, ranging from the Samskriti Society for Indian Performing Arts to Kuumba House Dance Theatre, have been booked into the hall.

The opportunity to perform in Zilkha is a major opportunity for the Psophonia Dance Company, said co-artistic director Sonia Noriega. The modern dance troupe, which was founded four years ago, makes its downtown debut Nov. 16.
MORE...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:54 pm 

In Yahoo:

Quote:
Poconos Retreat Revived for Summer

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer

BUSHKILL, Pa. (AP) - Its rustic cabins are overgrown. The vast boathouse is silent. The roof of the old theater is a leaking mess. more

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:14 pm 

In the Florida Sun Sentinel:

Quote:
76-year-old Olympia Theater at Miami’s Gusman Center reopens

By John Tanasychuk

Downtown Miami's Olympia Theater at Gusman Center for the Performing Arts is no exception. It reopens tonight after a four-month, $2 million restoration. And unlike much of the work that's been done to the city-owned theater during the past 30 years, this is the kind of time-consuming, cosmetic work that shows.more

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:17 pm 

In the Miami Herald:

Quote:
Olympia Theater returns to spotlight after $2.1 million renovation project

BY NICHOLAS SPANGLER

The dancers ran through their routine once more at three-quarter's pace. The caterer gave hurried instructions to his waiters out in the lobby, and up in the ''penny'' seats in the mezzanine some technicians aimed a spotlight down to the stage. The place was cavernous and dark. more

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:11 am 

Technical Talk
By Howard Bird for The Stage

Talking to a production manager on the day that she is opening a refurbished theatre, a new production and preparing a gala performance to be attended by Arts Council England is perhaps not the best timing a hack could have chosen. However this one did and it is the true mark of a seasoned professional technician that she did not tell me to (supply your own euphemism).

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:13 am 

Kitting out a new venue
By Robin Johnson for The Stage

One of the pleasures of living in Scotland is the enlightened approach to the performing arts this country has. There is investment going on right, left and centre, giving Scotland a range of up to date, superbly appointed venues which are taking many different forms of the performing arts firmly forward, without losing sight of the past.

The latest of these venues to open (or strictly speaking, re-open) is the Scottish Storytelling Centre in Edinburgh.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The Shanghai Grand Theatre
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am 

The Grand Theatre of Shanghai Web
http://www.culture.sh.cn/English/vsorts_detail.asp?vsortsid=43

Hi, I am from Argentina and I will be lighting a ballet in this theatre in a month. I have acquired several information but I have never worked in China and I would like to talk with someone who has already worked there... I am arriving on October 26 and I have the opening on October 28 and another play the 29. It's quite little time and I want to optimize each minute. It's a Dance Festival...

If anyone has worked here, please tell me wich was your experience?

Profile E-mail