public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things You Should Know
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:36 am 

Eddie Raymond, of the San Francisco local of the IATSE (the "stagehands' union") has shared with me their list of "THINGS EVERY SAN FRANCISCO STAGEHAND SHOULD KNOW". I've filtered out the stuff thats only of interest to San Franciscans; the rest, I think, applies to anyone in the arts, not just stagehands.<P><center>=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=</center><P><B>GENERAL:</B><BR><ul><BR><LI>You are a part of a very large picture. The future success of the whole depends on the performance and behavior of each individual. The failure of one reflects on the dependability and character of the entire local.<BR><LI>Twenty Minutes early is fifteen minutes late.[/LIST]<P><BR><B>SAFETY:</B><UL><P><LI>It can kill you!<BR><LI>If it can cut wood and metal, it can cut you. Keep your hands out of the way.<BR><LI>Always unplug a power tool before changing blades, disks etc.<BR><LI>Assume it’s hot!<BR><LI>Make sure the switch is off before plugging in any tool or device.<BR><LI>Lift with your legs not your back (bend your knees).<BR><LI>Grip flats from the same side as your partner.<BR><LI>You only have one back; if you hurt it, you lose it.<BR><LI>The body has many parts, none of them are spares.<BR><LI>Look up! Look down! The entertainment environment is constantly changing - just ‘cause the stairs were there a minute ago doesn’t mean they’re there now. Watch where you’re going.<BR><LI>If it hurts, it’s bad. Stop doing it.[/LIST]<P><BR><B>GENERAL STAGE INFORMATION:</B><ul><P><LI>If you can see the audience, the audience can see you.<BR><LI>Don't expect to know everything you need to know on the first day.<BR><LI>Don’t assume that the way you do things is THE way. There are many ways to do most of what we do. The person “responsible” for the project gets to pick as they typically have more information and do not always have the time to share. <BR><LI>Listen and learn. You can’t listen while you’re talking.[/LIST]<P><BR>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited May 08, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Things You Should Know
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 1:15 pm 

Thanks for the great info, Salzberg.<P>I would like to add: Be without ego.<P>Now I'm curious about that applies only to SFers stuff.<p>[This message has been edited by LMCtech (edited May 08, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:29 am 

Oh, you know, just stuff about "where's the closest place to get tofu." etc....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 5:36 am 

That's so funny and true. In Los Angeles, you need to know where the nearest tofu is, as well as the Starbucks. And let's not forget the place outside the theater with the best cell phone reception.<P>Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:39 pm 

That last one is the most important one according to my husband.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:55 am 

Actually, the SF-specific information contained things like the Business Agent's cell-phone number and administrivia such as what ID to bring to your first call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:06 pm 

I can think of a few more SF-specific items that could be on that list...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:40 pm 

Like where to park when you are working at the Golden Gate Theater or Yerba Bueana Center.

Profile E-mail