public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gala parties,before and after parties
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:25 am 

I personally would always invite all of the dancers and apprentices to such events. My feeling was that we were trying to convince the public that these people were special members of THEIR community, and should be honored as such.<P>Of course, I will never forget one of the first companies for which I worked in the South - where the dancers of the company were invited to a fund-raising event of the Board as guests ........ IF they would pour the wine and serve the hors d'ouerves.<P>I declined to assume the role of "dancer as servant."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 9:48 am 
MAN ,wordfox-talk about tasteless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 5:26 am 

tasteless, but not unusual...<P>had similar argument one season when it was suggested that the company members (who, by the way, had been told they must attend) were to be asked to pay for their tickets to a fundraiser. They were A) commanded to be there, B) actually going to be performing, and C) expected to not drink, behave, and smooze people.<P>Sounded like work to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 5:49 am 

They were expected to not behave and to not shmooze people? I want a job like that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 6:07 am 
Well,the LEAST they should of had them not pay.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:01 pm 

Most of the dancers usually attends my company's parties. As far as I can tell, most dancers seem to enjoy the parties; we like the idea that a fancy hotel has given us a little something, and many of the dancers would also like to see the company increase its financial security. However, most dancers just talk among themselves and do not mingle with the guests.<P>Why do you think so often dancers do not want to attend such events? What could be changed?<P>Personally, I find such parties hard to attend as a dancer. We dance, and that's our MAIN way of relating between each other as well as with the audience. Most dancers have put so much of their lives into dance they have little else to talk about. I talk very little in the studio for this reason.<P>I usually try to talk about something other than dance with the guests, I find it more interesting.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:12 pm 

CitiBob, you make some good comments. Many dancers, especially those who really express themselves on stage, don't talk much. By the same token, most patrons who attend a party don't know how to talk to dancers -- in fact, many don't have a clue what dance is about...<P>I have found that most dancers will warm up to me, as a guest, because I speak their language and I show appreciation for what they do beyond "You were wonderful."<P>So perhaps there can be a brief education (maybe even for both sets of attendees) on conversation pointers, just before the party.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 5:03 am 
Sounds like an idea for another thread.....