public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gala parties,before and after parties
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:55 pm 

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Thanks wordfox.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:05 pm 

Now, its funny.<P>Then, having to deal with several hundred Southern Belles of diverse chronological endowments, that were all looking forward to captivating these fine young men with their bountiful charms, left unrequited, was not a pleasant task.<P>Granted, if I had to go through an evening of nonstop gabbing - answering the same questions and saying the same things - to hundreds of people every time I performed, I might well have become "jaded." (see associated topic)<p>[This message has been edited by wordfox (edited November 19, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:14 pm 

Just out of curiosity, Wordfox, there after did you specify length of visit in contracts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 9:29 am 

I heard of a foreign opera star with perfect English who pretended she couldn't speak a word of it to get out of talking to annoying patrons at a gala. She'd smile and nod and say something vague with a very heavy accent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:09 am 

I'm gonna try that at the next production meeting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:22 pm 

It's also most effective in bars and at frat parties.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:08 pm 

LMCtech, what about Encore parties?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:00 am 

Unfortunately, managers are not prone to make specific commitments of their artists' non-performance time. You can only hope for good will; and some artists are more accommodating than others.<P>Now the heavy accent in the bar idea - that I like.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:26 am 

I attended a post-performance donors' party last night for a company that is VERY keen to raise more money this way. Out of 20+ dancers in the company, I counted 4 there plus a fifth who came as I was leaving. Interestingly the 4 are all relatively new in the Company. This is becoming a feature with this company and undermines the time spent by the development team. <P>I guess if the dancers really don't want new works created on them, new costumes and better conditions then that's fine.<P>I'll be dropping the company a line about this. They do need to change the culture. What happens in US companies? Is it ever a contractual obligation? How do the management persuade the bulk of the dancers to come. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:20 am 

Threats on their life?<P>But seriously. When I worked for the apprentice program at the SFOpera, it was made VERY clear to the young singers that these people were paying for them to be there, that it was part of their obligation to be there, and that this was part of their training for a professinal career in opera. I don't think dance companies have the same kind of well developed program for thier apprentices.<P>I think this is something that feeds down from the top. If the Artistic Director makes it clear that s/he does not want to go to fundraisers (even though that is part of their job), then the dancers will not go either. Conversely, if the AD tells the dancers that this is part of being in the arts, they will go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:55 am 

For dancers below the level of Principal, I always found the promise of FOOD to be the most effective incentive.<P>For Principals, I generally implied that there would be photographers there from all of the major national newspapers, DANCE Magazine, and the Artistic Directors of ABT, NYCB, and the Royal Ballet.<P>(Various degrees of success)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 10:30 pm 

Actually, free food works remarkably well with crew members as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 1:49 am 

. . .And designers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:54 am 

There are 2 kind: the first, very informal, where only the 'in' crowd is invited, where usually, only food is free (they're not crazy, no booze is paid on these occasions, where everyone gets totally 'out of control' -to stay polite)... Usually, in these type of parties, only dancers and crew is invited, everybody talks to each other, doesn't care about anything (clothes are at the discretion of the invited people... So, it means jeans to the dozen!)<BR>And the second type, supposed to 'make an impression' on (tick the appropriate box): <BR>patrons/critics/magazines and newspapers/... There, you will see beautiful people, beautiful dresses, beautiful fake smiles and very little drunk (but a lot eaten). The cost can be as little as what you would consume (usually for PR purpose) or as expensive as it can get (and that's where you get all sort of promise, usually made up by the agent, who didn't even check with the interested party if it was ok..) <BR>One word for these type of meeting: BORING!<BR>The informal one can be a lot of fun, and if you're patron of any of the big companies, it's actually better to go to a rehearsal with party to follow or to an informal class organised by the company as an 'open door' event, as the dancers are usually genuinely willing to relax after dancing... <P>After a performance, all they want to do is sleep! (and who can blame them?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:03 pm 
Oh another thing--are the CORPS dancers ever invited to attend these parties?Or just the 'stars'?