public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: On Becoming an Intern
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 3:56 pm 

Tools:<P>Remember that this is an intern, not (yet) a pro. I'm going to require him to bring a c-wrench, maybe gloves, and maybe a flashlight. I'm not going to mention a tether for the wrench; if he brings one, fine. If he doesn't bring one, it'll give me an opportunity to do some teaching -- and I have several spares (ditto the gloves and flashlight). By the end of the summer he <I>will</I> know how to use a multitester.<P>Body piercings: They absolutely can be a danger unless (and sometimes even then) they are covered by clothing (in which case, I don't even want to know they exist). They can snag on moving equipment and they conduct electricity.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited April 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 4:04 pm 

Babs - I don't know where to post this - so please forgive me for posting it here, but.......<P>I just looked at your homepage, Babs - and it is really wonderful - interesting, informative, funny, - even someone like me who calls most technical things in life "thingies" - really enjoyed reading it.<P>Great job!!<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited April 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 4:31 pm 

Babslight, you're absolutely right that sexual harassment is an important issue. . .so important that it needs to be handled (initially, at least) on a company-wide level by the management. After this, and on a continuing basis, it's important for each supervisor to communicate -- by word and by example -- that it's not acceptable.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited April 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:07 pm 

Thanks, Basheva!<P>Aside from the area about Pittsburgh's dance, it's really not so much about the technical side of things as the art side of it.<P>And it's okay, I call thingies thingies too<BR><p>[This message has been edited by BabsLights (edited April 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 10:58 am 

I'm leaving for Vermont in 8 days, so this is your last chance to comment on On Becoming an Intern.

Click here.

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 09:03: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 1:41 pm 

Wow, time flies!. I hope you can report in and let us know how it is going. <P>I wonder if the intern ever found his way here.<P>I wonder if he will be shown the way here, and have anything to add.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:43 am 

We're well in to the summer intern season now. Salzberg, how did it go?<P>Anyone else been working as, with, or around interns? How's it going?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:36 am 

Actually, I'm almost <B>past</B> the summer season now. The last show (<I>Always. . .Patsy Cline</I>) opens tonight, and Friday I leave Heaven on Earth and fly back to Sarasota.<P>I'll post more when I get home, but suffice it to say that things have gone quite well.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited July 31, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:52 pm 

Aw, shucks, why wait till I get home?

I arrived in Vermont the day before Aaron, my intern, did. I suggested that I accompany the person picking him up at the airport, because I feel that it's good to begin the one-to-one association as soon as possible.

The evening that Aaron arrived, we met again and went over the intern article and discussed the way the summer was going to work.

To make a long story short, I had a great summer. Aaron turned out to be the best intern I've ever had -- and several of the staff agreed that he was the best of a pretty good bunch. Mostly, this was due to the qualities he brought with him, of course, but at least part of it was because we knew what the ground rules were from the very beginning.

So, my thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice, either publicly or via email. It's really been a wonderful summer.

[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited August 01, 2001).]

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 09:16: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:58 am 

Just thought I'd bump this back up, as the summer is upon us!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6