public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: On Becoming an Intern
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:26 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><I>not very curmudgeonly-ish at all.</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, damn. there goes my reputation.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:06 pm 

I just talked to Salzberg re his article, and I think it's great! I suggested a couple of terminology changes, and since he and I know each other pretty well I guess he'll take 'em with a grain of salt, lol....<P>But seriously, I think this is an important topic. When you consider the amount of theaters in the US that rely on interns to help them produce artistic works, be they dance or theater, the need for information regarding expectations is viable. <P>I talked to Jeff about including the expectations of future interns in this discussion, and we both agree it's valid. So far, we've been talking about what we expect from the interns. But what do they expect from us? <P>I think he's hit on a great and very important topic, given the way young people expect to speed up the ladder of success these days, even in our business. The concept of 'paying your dues' is a foreign notion to many. <P>Just a thought,<BR>Meredith<P>PS: Salzberg: Great job! Keep it growing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:59 am 

Salzberg - one more thing if I may. <P>I don't recall - or I may have missed it - that you mentioned what kind of clothes the intern should wear. Some clothes can be detrimental to safety. For instance, in the summer (which in San Diego is all year) people wear loose sandals. This is hazardous to climbing ladders.<P>Or some jewelry/accessories - like a watch chain or ornate rings can be a hazard. My electrical engineer husband wore no jewelry of any kind for just such a reason at his laboratory. Everyone in his lab was also required to wear eye glasses with safety lenses. There were some labs that required steel tipped footwear. I don't know if the same kinds of problems would arise in your working environment.<P>Just a suggestion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 5:34 am 

I like the article a lot, And if you go with the clothing thing...maybe you should also have a thing about what you expect them to bring...? Like a wrench with clip, pencil, paper, gloves, whatever.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 5:48 am 

I plan to include additional articles on safety and procedures (like "how to hang a light" -- it's <I>amazing</I> how many kids aren't being taught how to do this correctly).<P>The "clothing" issue is a good idea, as is the list of required tools. Thanks.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited April 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:28 pm 

On the advice of one or two friends and colleagues (not you, Babs), I've made some revisions, taking the strident tone down a bit. Click on the smiley face above to see version #3.<P>Thanks, all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:37 pm 

Of course you wouldn't want to give me credit for you actually doing something I suggested....nawwwww......<P>I think the new version is great! Whether you asked me or not! But I like the way it reads.<P><I>I'm still glad I'm not your intern - but I am guessing you are even more glad of that fact yourself!</I>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 5:51 pm 

The first time I tried clicking on the Smiley face - I had no problem reading the earlier version with the acrobat reader - but now nothing comes up. Nor at any of the other clicking places.....<P>But, I am sure it's great Salzberg..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 10:06 pm 

Yikes, I can't believe I forgot to mention clothing and jewelry. Very important. No sandals onstage or in the shop. No long hair dangling over the table saw or the bandsaw. <P>Sheesh. Whatinda moron am I??? And me, a TD! Then again, if they'd walked into the shop dressed inappropriately, I'd have definitely sent them home. Out of sight....out of my mind.....We've been talking so much cerebral stuff here that the basics slipped by me. <P>So, Salzberg: One more thing to tell them, now that I'm back in the loop: they are not to park their fifty thousand dollar graduation gifts (aka cars to the rest of us) in STAFF parking spots... Image<P><BR>Meredith..<BR>(still learning how to use my new computer...ugh..)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 3:30 am 

Meredith: Even if the Artistic Director's spot is not marked, because he expects everyone -- including the new people -- to know it's his?<P>Basheva: I may have been uploading a revision as you were clicking. Try again. . .<A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg/pdf/intern.pdf" TARGET=_blank> Image</A>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:15 pm 

Salzberg, re the Artistic Director's parking space....uh, that's also the maintenance man's spot. And we both know who is most valuable when it comes to keeping an arts organization running smoothly in the long run, heheh.... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:38 pm 

I read it again, Salzberg - and it looks really good. It really does.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 2:05 pm 

So, in the interest of helping with the second section of the Intern Manifesto, what else would we list as safety issue? Or do and don't thing?<P>We have jewery, clothing, hair.<P>A list of tools, which off the top of my head should include a wrench, gloves, flash light, Leatherman/Gerber/whatever. Maybe tester.<P>What else?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 2:07 pm 

Ohhh, for some reason, I am reminded of this...policies of sexual harrassement, or inapproriate names when working with groups of employees of different genders? You know, that whole Babe, Toots, Hunny Bunny thing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 3:18 pm 

.....pinching is definitely out....<P>How about body piercings? Seriously, - does that present a hazard?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next