public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lighting Designers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:53 am 

As I remember it there was a sand bag looped over the side of the rail on the other booms. We were on a Hurok tour of one night stands, and there was another problem... a hard stage. I think that there had to be an inch and a half of air space between the stage and the cement floor, there wasn't so the crew had to build a new stage over the floor that met the union contrats specifications. I guess after that the last thing they thought was that some little 5'1" dancer would take out a boom. Now do I sound like a certain redhead? I earned my nickname.

<small>[ 11-21-2002, 12:19: Message edited by: Lucy ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:12 pm 

Well maybe those are some of the practical things that need to be emphasized to lighting students. It would seem to me that ART History would be absolutely essential to lighting designers. My husband is a sometime LD who had lots of experience as a child making and seeing art, which I think has helped his eye. But he has learned most of his craft as trial and error and by working with some really great designers as a light board operator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:27 am 

Uh...I listed art history above. You're absolutely right. I'd add to the list art and music appreciation.

A course I wish I'd taken is History of Architecture, but I can't say that the lack thereof has proven to be an impediment.

When I was writing of the choreography and text as source material, I should have added, "plus the other design disciplines"; the set, costume, and sound designs can all furnish inspiration to the lighting designer.

<small>[ 11 December 2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:54 pm 

And vica-versa. I hate to work with arrogant designers who think they are so much better than the rest that they can't take inspiration or learn something from the other designers on a project. This has only happened to me a few times, and thankfully not recently.

I was agreeing with your inclusion of art history in the list. I wish I had had a bit more myself. I think I wouldn't be so naroow in my color schemes, something I have been working on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:14 am 

Flyman tells a fairy story
From The Stage

It’s that time of year, so perhaps it is time for a fairy story. Once upon a time there was a young theatre electrician called Al. Al Adin, since you ask. One day he was climbing up and down his ladder, pointing his lights at different places on the stage and putting his favourite bits of coloured stuff in front of the lights. “This is very hard work,” he thought. “Time to visit Mum.”

Now, Al’s mother also worked in the theatre. She was a single parent, who had a job in the running wardrobe and was listed in the programme as W Twanky.

click for more

Profile E-mail