public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the day after
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:53 pm 

Ha. We performed last night at a local band called Mallaka's cd release party, and it was grand. There are many things to talk about but I just wanted to mention some of the costume, prop stuff we experienced. <P>I must say things went well, but in the interest of learning for next time there are a few things I'd like to share and remember. <P>To set the stage (ha ha) -- seven movers worked through a preset and discussed score for improvisation, created and performed in response to the music of Mallaka (can be found at <A HREF="http://www.mp3.com)." TARGET=_blank>www.mp3.com).</A> The show was held in a cafe with large windows facing the sidewalk and we used space both outside and inside. <P>I like to set things up and then let them fly - getting something totally set through rehearsals and practice is great, but not always - I want options. For this I wanted to do something the group performing as movers could pretty much step into. This is absolutely not to say I or my performers are unprepared - simply that they are differently prepared and take class/work together frequently. For some things though, the mantra of "be prepared ahead of time" is attempting to tattoo itself into me it is still just an attempt. These things are more about "stuff" - costumes, props, space.<P>For one thing - if you're going to use fake blood capsules, make sure you test them out first so you know what to expect. I'd never touched the darn things and didn't even get them filled until right before we needed them. Heck, I didn't even realize we were going to have to fill them ourselves. This was something I could have purchased earlier and have taken care of beforehand - it would have saved us some time and I would have known we probably needed at least two apiece. <P>Also note - if you layer plastic over paper for costumes and then steam up from sweating - the paper will disintigrate. Seems elementary, but I didn't think of my materials as subject to changes like that, I just thought of them as what they started as.<P>Knowing how items/materials/equipment act and react to various situations is very exciting, but certainly requires some experimentation. Making dance or performance art includes interesting layers besides the manipulation of human bodies in space. It's exciting to be learning about some of these more materially-oriented Backstage kinds of things.<P>I will likely think of other things I learned about yesterday and the various materials and objects we used. Um, if anyone has any suggestions about use of that blood stuff, I wouldn't mind hearing them. Also, does anyone know of any black paper tape? Like tearable masking tape, but black?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: the day after
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 8:32 am 

Priscilla, thanks for sharing your experiences last night. Sounds like quite an adventure. Never seen black paper tape but I suppose you can always paint masking tape black.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:20 am 

I am being told (by the resident engineer) that there is a "friction tape" that is black. It's the kind of tape that is wrapped around electrical wires. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:46 am 

Ah ha - thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 10:50 am 

But that's electrical duct tape. It's plastic, not tearable like paper tape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 12:06 pm 

The most common black tape in theatre (actually, it's available in just about any color) is gaffers' tape. It has a "flat" finish, takes paint, doesn't leave as much gunk as does duct tape, and costs twice as much.<P>Priscilla, it sounds like you've learned one of the most important lessons in theatre -- try all technical elements in rehearsal before you put them in front of an audience.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 12:26 pm 

Oh, yeah, that's right. It's used in the film industry... I should've remembered:<P> Image <P><A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/2progpergaft3.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Filmtools Online</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:12 pm 

I wound up using black vinyl electrical tape and it was ok. We used it to tape our costumes on and I thought paper tape would be easier to tear. It was - we used it for the ill-fated (in my case at least) paper layer. This was the plastic layer and it wound up being nice to have stretchy tape to go with the stretchy plastic sheeting we wore.<P>You're right, Salzberg - I did learn I don't mind having performance elements "loose", but need to drape them over a well-understood structure of technical elements I am able to control and manipulate. It's kind of like the nature or nurture argument - with our biological structure serving as a framework for our nurtured selves to drape and grow over.<P>Oh - so now I know of several types of black tape - black duct/duck tape (a big favorite in Alaska!), black vinyl electrical tape, black gaffers tape, and black dance floor tape (a bit like big, strong electrical tape but matte). <P>Dang, while I'm on sticky things, have I shared this site with you all yet? <A HREF="http://www.thistothat.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thistothat.com/</A> is the address and you put in what you want to glue to what and they suggest a type of glue. Maybe I learned of this site via Criticaldance, but it's worth mentioning again.<p>[This message has been edited by Priscilla (edited April 15, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:33 pm 

Thanks for the site, Priscilla. My husband will love that. Our house is held together with glue and tape. <P>He's already bookmarked that site - LOL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 8:42 pm 

The three things that hold the world together are: gaff tape, velcro...and hot glue. And doublesided carpet-tape, in extreme situations...<P>Meredith

Profile E-mail